« Back to All Topics
Sigh...
Sigh...
Sigh...
Steve Irwin, the Australian TV presenter known as the "Crocodile Hunter," has died after being stung in a marine accident off Australia's north coast. 
Australian media reports say Irwin was diving in waters off Port Douglas, north of Cairns, when the incident happened on Monday morning. 

Irwin was killed by a stingray barb that went through his chest, according to Cairns police sources. Irwin was filming an underwater documentary at the time.

Ambulance officers confirmed they attended a reef fatality Monday morning off Port Douglas, according to Australian media. 

Queensland Police Services also confirmed Irwin's death and said his family had been notified. Irwin, 44, was director of the Australian Zoo in Queensland. 

He and his American-born wife Terri Irwin became popular figures on Australian and international television through Irwin's close handling of wildlife, most notably the capture of live crocodiles.

Irwin's enthusiastic approach to nature conservation and the environment won him a global following. He was known for his exuberance and use of the catchphrase "crikey!"

But his image suffered a setback in 2004 when he held his then one-month-old baby while feeding a crocodile at his Australian zoo.

Irwin's wife Terri was believed to be on location in Tasmania, filming another documentary.

Australian Foreign Minister Alexander Downer expressed his sorry Monday and said that he was fond of Irwin and was very appreciative of all the work he had done in promoting Australia overseas.

Good people go when you least expect it.

Rest in peace Steve. Ill miss yea.
I would imagine that there are millions of people world wide that found themselves with a tear in their eye and a lump in their throat when they heard that Steve Irwin had passed from this earth.  Those of us left behind are the sad, unlucky ones... It's us that feel the loss.  My thoughts and prayers are with Steve's wife Terri and their children. He excelled at being a family man.

Steve was a national hero to Australia and an uncommon treasure to the rest of the planet... human, animal and plant included.  Not often such a man comes alone... so no use in wondering at the package he arrives in.  I'm going to rejoice at his being here for as long as he was.  So often, it seems, the most valuable and pure of heart get called home first.

Thanks Steve!  Your work for the environment and the creatures that populate it was phenominal and will continue to have a positive impact on the world for years to come. 

Most of all, you made us smile... and in the doing, you helped educate and elevate us all.  

Well done!!
I just wanted to say how saddened I am in hearing of the loss of such a great man and my thoughts are with his family, as well as with all the animals he ever helped.