Billiards
whats better 9ball 8ball or snooker
Posted in 
Billiards
whats better 9ball 8ball or snooker
personally i think 9ball but i want to know what u all think is best
Snooker definately. 
Why? 
Cause the game involves more skill and fine touch for the positional play and not just hit and hope for the best. 
Sadly, for some snooker players here the rule "ATTENTION ALL POCKETS" is still applying. Anyway snooker is better 
in my opinion 
 and its not for nothing that the prize money for professional snooker players is much higher than for billiards players.  

Each to their own in my opinion.

I started off originally playing 9 ball, back in the good old days. There's a certain degree of skill involved, with the planning of plants on the 9 ball and positioning, but in my opinion it's not quite as skillful as 8 ball. 

I chose 8 ball over 9 simply because I found myself to be much better at it. It's much more like playing snooker/pool in real life, and for me, demands a greater degree of accuracy and skill. Well it does for me anyway! 

Snooker could be the best of the bunch for me, but the table's don't reprisent their real life counterparts. I might be wrong in saying this, as there may have been a recent change to the code, but the tables and balls are the same size as their 8/9 ball counterparts. And there's no option to choose what colour ball you are shooting for after sinking a red, it's just the first one the white hits. Jimmy Whites on the PC is the definative version for me, and after playing that snooker just seems to be lacking a certain something. 

I play 8 ball because that's where the majority of my friends play. Like I said before it's each to their own. In fact I might have to pay 9 ball and snooker a visit in the near future, just to try my hand. It's a good job I only play for fun... I'm not good enough to play for any other reason!
Snooker is the best I think.  I played 9 ball the other day and didn't have much fun.  After playing snooker for a while it ruined the game of 9 ball for me.  To many people are Hope Shooters on there.  They just bang them and hope one falls in.  8 ball is all right for a change in pace.  But for me, snooker rules.  More skill and once you play it for a while it helps your 8 ball game improve.  You learn to focus and shoot more accurately after playing snooker.

I pick some of the best snooker players to play with and I have learned a lot from them.  Thanks guys... Cya around the table.
Hey Mr Bishi could u nicely tell me the site for Jimmy Whites site please
come on guys some1 must now what the site is called
Whoops. 

My fault, I've confused the issue a little here. Sorry about that. I'll explain all about Jimmy Whites in your other topic Real-Champ. 

Confuse-me-do Daddy!
snooker is for sure the hardest game on here...i dont like 9 ball   just because you have to pay to much attention to the game...my opinion 8 ball is the most enjoyable to play,,,but I dont understand why not many ppl play a defensive game. Why is it ok to play defense at snooker....but not 8?  I don't because it makes players mad....they consider it cheating..just find it strange...it is no different than some ppl's poke and hope stragity,,,then leaving you blocked. just my opinion...to everyone i've played...thnx for the gg's
mitsu bishi.....have u really played snooker on fly or die? of course u can choose which colour after the red ,,try again
Yes I have played snooker on FlyOrDie. About a year ago was the last time I had a crack at it though, and at that time you couldn't choose which colour to go for after potting a red. What I mean by this is 
nominating
 a colour, as you would do in the real game. All I remember was that whatever colour you hit first, the game presumed that was what you were aiming at. Thus no fouls for hitting the ball not 'on'. Do you see?

I'd love to know if that had been changed, as it was one of the few flaws in the snooker code that I could see.
been changed for a while now..u can nominate any colour

Neither is better.  They are all three different.  I would have to say however...that while all three games are simple in concept, and easy to learn the rules of...snooker is the more difficult to master.  I would say that someone who had played snooker all their lives,and had become excellent at the game, and never played eight ball...took eight ball up...they would be further along towards being an excellent eight ball player than someone who went from playing eight ball all their lives, and was an excellent pool player, would be towards becoming as good at snooker.
I agree with Roxanne on one point... generally speaking, experienced snooker players often are pretty good 8 ball players. To be successful at snooker, you have to consider strategy. In other words, plan several shots ahead, defense, etc. The same holds true for 8 ball, but it is more common to encounter players that are good shot makers but give no thought at all to strategy. They think that one must make a ball on every shot. It would never occur to them to intentionally miss an easy shot in order to leave the opponent in a difficult position and to wait for a better opportunity to run out the table. In other words, it's better to miss your shot and leave the 
other
 guy in a bad spot than to make your shot and leave 
yourself
 in a bad spot. AWF mentioned that he doesn't use much defense because it makes people mad... lol... I LOVE it when somebody gets mad because I won't leave them a decent shot.. it means I am playing good pool. Besides, it's just more fun playing what I call "sneaky old man" pool. Anyone can learn to make shots.. it takes brains to be a good strategist.
8-ball, 9-ball, or snooker?

Well, its definately snooker, its more skillful, involves far more concentration, and is far more fun. But i second place i'd think 8-ball. And dont ask why!

Nemesis,

I agree with you one hundred percent.  That is exactly what I was trying to say.  The simple fact that there are 22 balls on a snooker table compared to the 16 on an 8 ball table is enough of a reason to for an 8 ball player to have a longer road to travel to get as good at snooker, as a snooker player would take to get good at 8 ball.  As far as strategy goes...I AM SO GLAD you brought up intentionally not making a shot to make the better pool shot.  To take your point a little  further...about the shooters in fly or die may make excellent shots, but play a poor game of pool...here is an example of a lack of forethought beyond the one or two shots that may SEEM to be obvious choices to attempt on any given turn 
consider this...both players on the 8 ball...it's stripe players shot...the 8 is snug on the rail  at the bottom of the table between the two pockets...the cue ball is on the other end of the table...say between the corner pocket, and the first dot on the side of the table...so you have a long slightly diagonal cut shot, to make the 8 ride the rail into the corner...I see people in here try it all the time.  In fact, I count on it.  If they make a miracle shot (1 in 200 kind of shot in real pool) they win...199 times they miss...100 times they leave the 8 sitting in the corner right on the lip of the pocket leaving me with a tap in for the game. When I find mysef with the same shot in the same situation, (ESPECIALLY in here) I will hit the 8 safely, so as not to foul, and try and leave the other player with no shot...the other player will then "try anything" to see if it goes, either a total pound and pray shot, or a try at a truly difficult shot (3 rails xcorner kinda stuff), to sink the ball.  THEN, chances are better than not, I'll have my tap in shot.  This is what I call deferring a victory. Yes it may be their shot, and if they sink it it's over.  But if they miss, it's also very likely to be over...when the other player sinks the easy shot they left him/her.  I'd rather play the safe, and win the game on the next shot, than lose it on the first shot.
It also makes me chuckle when people in here gloat about being six balls ahead...or cry because they knocked in some of the other players balls making him "lucky"...there are many situations where the best shot I can make for myself, is to make sure one of the other players balls goes into a pocket...even if it may mean I lose my shot. I don't care if I'm on the 8 and the other person has seven balls left...in fact if it was going to be one on the 8 and the other with 7, I would often rather be the one with the seven balls.  Don't get discouraged, or overconfident because you are "ahead"...there is NO "ahead" in 8 ball.  The game is either still on, or it's over. If you have a shot...you're in the game...and that means the same thing for the player on the table with you. (ANOTHER THING ABOUT SNOOKER THAT MAKES IT A MUCH HARDER GAME TO TRULY BECOME PROFICIENT AT)You can win an 8 ball game, without ever taking a shot...and have all seven of your balls on the table, and none of the other persons balls on the table...lol..look around for the cue ball, if you don't see it...congrats...you win...lol.  Another example is in nine ball...the poor guy is totally "snookered" when it comes to making a safe shot, nd not giving up ball in hand...they can see that the legal ball (let's say the 4 ball) is sitting right next to the nine, right on the tip of the pocket...if you could make the shot safely you would win the game...well if you're going to foul anyway...FOUL THE NINE BALL IN...or the ball that sets it up...put the nine on the dot...it's whole new ballgame.  Some people do do this...but not the majority.

Here's my big handicap in the fly or die site...lol.  A mouse is not a poolstick, and "zoom" is not my eyes...lol
But it is alot of fun to play the game here...and a good place to learn about shot choices, and strategies.  I've often seen a person just get crushed by someone...and I can tell by the shot selections each of them choose...that if it was a real table...it would be the other way around...lol.

Roxanne
Roxanne... It's nice to encounter someone with a good grasp on pool strategy AND a good command of the English language. There isn't an overabundance of people with either trait on here.
It's also nice to see someone that writes more than I do!
ohhhh miss roxanne, i wanna play u, u my type of player, hope i see u around and that u dont refuse :p