« Back to All Topics
Splatter competition!! (open to all)
short version:

The goal is to create a new char with the ability to splat at the earliest lvl possible.  Prefix your char's name with "esp" (no quotes), and you will be automatically entered in the compeition.

Be warned that these characters will be deleted at the close of the competition.

long version:

You're still reading, good.  That means you're interested, and probably have a few questions.

First off, you're probably asking yourself: what will I win?  I asked myself the same question and determined that what splatters needed most were silvers, clicks, and pack space.  So, those are the prizes: 
15million silvers, 5000 clicks, or 5kg of backpack space
 (50 thingies).  First place winner will get their pick of prizes, second place will choose between what's left, and third will get the remaining one.

The next question you probably have is: what's up with this prefix and do I really have to use it?  "esp" stands for early splatter prototype.  It serves a few purposes: it allows me to easily search for participating characters, and more importantly, allows you to start off with more than you otherwise would.  These chars will have 6.5million silvers in the bank and a large assortment of magical weaponry in their homes.  So 
fighters won't have to waste points in intelligence
.  Because of these extras, these chars won't have access to the market or clans.

How long will this competition run?  I'm thinking to the end of April, but as this is the first time we've tried something like this, it's flexible, depending on how fast/slow people get to their first splat.

Are you really going to delete my char?  Yes.  This is mainly because of the huge advantage these chars have in monetary value, goods, and clicks (
they will have 100k clicks - no need to rely on dailies
).

The winning char(s) will be determined first by lvl, then by clicks, so be sure to 
stop clicking once you achieve 1 conquest

That's all I can think of for the moment.  If you have any questions/comments or notice I've completely forgotten to provide a necessary piece of equipment, let me know.

I hope you have fun with this and good luck!
It's a nice idea - I know an old player that tried this, and I think I remember the level they achieved it at (but will not spoil the comp in saying when they made it)
So with the "esp" character getting deleted upon completion of the competition, I assume the prizes would go to a different character of the owner's choosing.

Also, is it safe to assume we can set up another account to make the test character... rather than deleting an existing character on our main account?

Can you define "a large assortment of magical weaponry"?  Will this be all s/s, p/s, and ranged weapon (magic/vamping) available at each level?  Just the "best" of each?  If so, who determines "the best"?  Just a selection of weapons, but not necessarily everything?

Finally, how many "entries" are allowed per person?
>I assume the prizes would go to a different character of the owner's choosing.

Yes.  The winner(s) would post what char should get the prize.

>Also, is it safe to assume we can set up another account to make the test character?

You can make a new account if you already have 4 chars on your main account.  Please don't delete your established splatters for this (we need them!).  I plead the fifth on how many accounts I now have.

>Can you define "a large assortment of magical weaponry"? 

There are p/s, s/s, and ranged weapons for various lvls.  I went through the guide and tried to put in any that were not readily available.  That being said, I'm sure I missed some that someone will want.  If you find that's the case, you can let me know and I can add that weapon to all "esp" chars' homes.

>how many "entries" are allowed per person?

I would say one, but that wouldn't stop someone from making a better second char and simply deleting the first.  However, I will only consider one entry per person eligible to win, so no one will monopolize all the prizes.

Could you give all esp people a lvl 1 boat, perhaps less silvers?

One observation

To help TA perhaps let people stop while you record their first hit, but then carry on to reduce the target square?
Sadly, there is no function that allows me to give you a boat.  You'll just have to go to a port with your nets and click that button manually.

Low level chars aren't very effective to splat with - you can get one splat without being able to do it consistently.  If you do want to continue using the char during the competition period, be sure to post or find me in chat and I'll copy the pertinent info.
Is there a start date?  Or do we just create the char and you will make note of it?
The comp has started, just make sure to use esp at the start of your name :)
Nice competition, thanks ezekial :)
I created a character, and have 100,000 clicks and house full with weapons, nice :)

-kristal
Imagine if someone from Spain makes a character called Espanol or something, I would like to see the reaction on their faces. 

I would like to see on this thread how people are progressing with their levelling and progress towards a splat.
Well, KMS is a fighter currently on level 24, having used 21000 clicks.

"habakkuk" is a mage currently about to hit level 18 (level 21 magic), having used 20000 clicks.

I have a fighter who just hit 17, having used 9000 clicks.

Tour has a fighter half-way through level 11, and has used less than 5000 clicks.

Someone using a new account named "ananas102" has 4 characters, the highest being a mage half-way through level 10, having used 8000 clicks (the other 3 are all still at level 1).
>>Can you define "a large assortment of magical weaponry"? 

>There are p/s, s/s, and ranged weapons for various lvls. I went through the guide and tried to put in any that were not readily available. That being said, I'm sure I missed some that someone will want. If you find that's the case, you can let me know and I can add that weapon to all "esp" chars' homes.

Well, seeing how we don't have access to the market, if the antimatter club is not obtained on Mission 29, then Mission 30 cannot be completed.  Is it possible to get the antimatter club dropped into our houses?
It's been awhile since you played; did you forget you had to go back into squid lake to get it? :p

esp fight1 is yours, I'm guessing; antimatter club is added.
Thank you.  And yes, it has been a while.
okay, another request...

How about 8 breathing cornerstones and 1 hyperium dropped into our houses?  They are required to complete mission 38, and cannot be obtained without the market (at the levels we're talking about).
Good catch.  I added bcs and a hyperium to the list of items (along with a few more ehps to counter their weight).
A note on how I'm progressing: my lvl 19 mage finally beat debibebra after about 7 attempts.  Equipping that dagger in his right hand instead of his left  made all the difference :p
So close... stupid scatter!  I was ranging from the 60's up to over 100 damage.  And the final hit that counted - 3 damage short!

http://i58.tinypic.com/a2hyq.jpg

Well, now that I've tried probably 50-100 monsters (most coming up as stronger than the level 30 blue-guard), it's time to just go level this guy to 25, and make a splat.  Then I'll be back with my next guy for splatting at 24.
Update:
1 splat on level 25 (esp fight1)

Also, if level 25 is going to be the level, I believe the level 25 s/s (mag/vamp) "goldenbell" needs to be added to the houses.  It would make life a lot easier to get that splat at 25.

(realistically though, I believe it can be done at 24... I was wearing all the same armour/weapons, just had a few extra HP's and 2 more strength, so I could now gamble a little more often at "close" fights).
>It's been awhile since you played; did you forget you had to go back into squid lake to get it? 
>esp fight1 is yours, I'm guessing; antimatter club is added.

It really has been a while.  Can I have the antimatter club in the house of esp fight2 as well?  It hasn't even been 2 minutes since I collected my reward from squid lake, and I just realized I was supposed to go back in for the antimatter club (I hadn't even opened up the next map yet)! :(

I'll pay whatever is fair... go ahead and drain his bank account (it's like me paying top dollar on the market). :p
Goldenbell has been added to the list of items, as have the hydrasteel boots, which I had thought I added in the first place, but apparently missed.  I know those are tough to build on your own.

Your enemy lifts its hand for the final strike, but doesn't have enough strength to finish it. You've won!
You've eliminated 1 monsters already!
You've found the following items:
a magic nub
15582 experience points earned!
You need 1 978 086 more experience points for the next level!

I agree with Jason 24 may be possible, but 25 it was for me
The blue cityguard damaged you with his spear for 136 hitpoints!
Your powerful attack has scared your enemy! You've made 82 hitpoints damage with your lava club!
Your weapon vampirizes 21 hitpoints to you!
Your enemy jerks, then goes limp. You've defeated it!

a magic nub
a recovery drink
You need 920 182 more experience points for the next level!

Splat at 24 complete.
  I'd bet 100 million silvers that no *fighter* can do it at 23, so now it's only a question of when mages can do it, and who can do it with a fighter at 24 with the least clicks.

I am so confident that a fighter can't at 23, because my guy is basically optimized for both damage taken and damage dealt, against a level 30 blueguard.  You can't improve on one without giving up some on the other, and there is almost no room to spare on either.

I killed him in 5 hits (ranged plus 4 s/s).  It is not good use of points to get first-hit (too much quickness needed), so he will also get 5 hits on me.  Ranged weapon is weaker, so you need 40-50 damage on ranged, and an average of 90 damage per hit with s/s (give or take a little on each)... in order to get his 399 hp's.  To do this at level 23 (with much inferior weapons) would require a lot more then my 52 strength, which would mean sacrificing on persistence (and thus, not having enough hp's to survive 5 of his attacks).

Now damage taken... his 5 hits ranged from 136-143 (let's say an average of 140).  5 hits is 700 hp's.  I only had 523 base hp's, but with a dd from the pub, it was 628.  The difference was made up in vamping... just under 100 hp's vamped in my first 4 hits.  With a thieve's level 3 house, you could have 1.3*hp's (680), or with a wonderflask, 1.4*hp's (732).  But the ship travel for the house, or the balloon work for enough flasks... well, the pub is just more convenient.  (however, with enough flasks, I could have used a non-vamping weapon, which would have made getting 5 hits with enough damage a lot easier since it has higher average damage - but level 23 s/s weapons do not have this luxury).

So the only way I could see level 23 working is with wonderflasks, somehow getting 520-550 base hp's (I'm not exactly sure how much would be needed, but somewhere in that range, and that would require better usage of points and probably more than my 36 pers)... using a shield instead of ranged, surviving a 6th hit, and still managing 80 average damage with the 100yearsold bread (which would likely require at least my 52 strength).  It might be possible to get 1 or 2 more missions, with using chair in house a lot, or even more wonderflasks.

The other possibility is if the "weak to s/s" blueguard is actually insignificant, and the p/s weapons actually do not get hindered almost at all.  There's more option there, with going non-vamping for higher damage if desired.
Twice in 2000 clicks :(

I should have it dead lol - grats Jason for beating me on clicks.

The blue cityguard damaged you with his spear for 136 hitpoints!
The blue cityguard poisons you!
The blue cityguard curses you!
You have rammed your enemy into the ground with your attack! You've made 49 hitpoints damage with your lava club!
Your weapon vampirizes 12 hitpoints to you!
The blue cityguard has 8 hitpoints left.
The blue cityguard damaged you with his spear for 135 hitpoints!
You've surprised your opponent! You've made 91 hitpoints damage with your lava club!
Your weapon vampirizes 23 hitpoints to you!
Your enemy cries out, then collapses. You've won!
a magic nub
a mobilo diavovino
You need 889 692 more experience points for the next level!

Zeke, when you have captured my click count please let me know so I can delete.

Thanks
Well, I've now splatted with a mage:

The blue cityguard damaged you with his bayonet for 119 hitpoints!
You cast a spell! Iceblocks bolt from your hands! 72 hitpoints damage made!
Your enemy lifts its hand for the final strike, but doesn't have enough strength to finish it. You've won!
a magic nub

Level 26, with +4 magic (i.e. level 30 magic).  It could probably by done with level 29 magic, but would require a good chunk of HP's.  I doubt level 28 magic would work.

Now, if a mage could get up to +5 magic on level 24, and has enough HP's, they could probably splat on 24.  Any earlier (e.g. level 23) could only be done by "abusing" the ability to raise magic level using MP's, but not gaining XP's.

I'm wondering if that's what "espelied" (level 23 mage) is trying to do.  Hasn't gained a level in a while... almost at level 28 magic.  But I doubt he has enough HP's to splat at 28 magic... he'll have to go for 29.  And having used 59,000 clicks already, he might not get to 29 before using up all 100,000 clicks!
I agree with Jason that with the level of weapons available to the lower lvl 20's chars it is not possible to splat at 23.
With espTourminater I receive an average of 150 damage per round, but can only inflict 30 myself. The closest I came was death to me but leaving the blue city guard with 154 Hitpoints

stats
lvl 23
S=48
Q=20
I=1
L=1
Dex=16
Pers=38
HPT= 505
Mana=73

I have a request for a few weapons I cannot make in the mage tower. This will allow me to complete the missions that I currently cannot with the weapons I do have available. Please and Thankyou, as I will retry with espTour1 :D

hydrasteel mace
mengornian mace
hydrasteel log
hydrasteel club
mengornian club

~Tour (loving the comp)

Jason, that is zeke, so he becomes she.
Thanks... It has been a while. And D, where is your entry into the contest? 
Tourist, I added those items to the list, though I somehow lost my notes on how much space is available in your homes.  If someone finds their house overloaded, please let me know so I can also add more ehps.
esp A3

The blue cityguard damaged you with his bayonet for 142 hitpoints!
You've made a good hit! You've made 104 hitpoints damage with your lava club!
Your weapon vampirizes 26 hitpoints to you!
Your enemy falls on its face! You've defeated it!
a magic nub
a mobilo diavovino
You need 1 378 268 more experience points for the next level!
>How long will this competition run? I'm thinking to the end of April, but as this is the first time we've tried something like this, it's flexible, depending on how fast/slow people get to their first splat

bump/reminder
I know there are a few esp chars still out there.  Is anyone working on them or should we wrap this thing up?
espelied (lvl 23, lvl 30 magic):
You cast a spell! Iceblocks bolt from your hands! 63 hitpoints damage made!
The blue cityguard has 57 hitpoints left.
The blue cityguard damaged you with his spear for 129 hitpoints!

...so if I just get first hit on that last round when I have 12 hps left; I have it made. :p
Yes please, keep it open a bit longer. 
You cast a spell! Iceblocks bolt from your hands! 56 hitpoints damage made!

Lvl 23 splat is possible (probably even in 100k clicks if used wisely).  5hps left, so I needed to hit first in that final round.

espelied needed an additional 8544 clicks over the initial 100k, so I'll pull him out of the running.

A couple people have asked for more time on their chars, so the competition will remain open for another week.

I'm going to officially close the competition tomorrow, but from what I can tell these are the only esp chars who've achieved 1 splat:

1) kms: esp A3, lvl 24, 17435 clicks
2) jason: esp fight2, lvl 24, 19932 clicks
[me: espelied, lvl 23, 108554 clicks]

A couple chars are at lvl 22 (so close), and they might sneak in before the end.
I'm closing out the competition then.  KMS and Jason, let me know what char you would like your prize on and which prize you want: 15million silvers, 5000 clicks, or 50 thingies.  If you would both like thingies, I might be persuaded to do 25 thingies for second place.
Could you leave my character esp ana active? I am curious how well he could do.
I will take the thingies in Only Strength.  If KMS wants thingies, I guess that means I get 25 thingies.  If he wants something else, I guess I get 50.
Actually, if you wanted to give the 5kg space as 100 whatsitsnames (or 2.5kg as 50 whatsitsnames), I don't mind that instead :)
Only strength should find 25 thingies in his house.  If kms wants something else, I'll send another 25 your way.
Hi,

Sorry for the delay - I would quite like the extra pack space on OmpaLompa please.

Thanks for organising the comp

KmS
OmpaLompa should find 50 thingies in his house.