Registered: Feb, 2005
Dec 20, 2005 5:41 AM
Okay, so this is an attempt at a semi-formal study of diggers. Our goal is to try and figure out the how much luck, level and location affect the results of a digger. Along the way, we'll figure out answers to most of the common digger questions such as: "Dark District or Forest?", and now: "TA or Larkinor?". To try and make the resulting data useful, we had to set up a series of rules that should be followed to ensure we're all digging in the same places and are all reacting to everything that happens in the same manner.
1) Be serious and try to follow these rules. Some people are going to spend a lot of time and clicks on this so please respect that by not submitting false or inaccurate data.
2) Each digger will perform a series of eight "trials" consisting of 1000 clicks each.
3) Record your clicks, level and all of your stats before beginning a trial.
4) Avoid leveling up in the middle of a trial. If you level up during your 1000 clicks, restart the trial with your new stats.
5) Buy 10 shovels and only carry "minimal" (~1kg) equipment with you.
6) Dig until you overload or until you run out of shovels. Record the amount of copper ore, iron ore and tin balls you have, then throw them away. Repeat until you are overloaded even after throwing them away. Throw away shovels until you are no longer overloaded. Record the amount of everything you have dug up.
7) Go to the store and sell it all, buy shovels to get back up to 10 again (record the number of BROKEN shovels you've had to replace), bank/market bank the profits. Return to the block and continue digging until you hit 1000 clicks. Record your goods, then sell it all off one last time (do not count these "final sale" clicks).
8) Record the number of times you get attacked by monsters during your trial. When you get attacked by a monster, run away immediately. If your hit points have become dangerously low, head to the nearest pub for a Deadly Diavovino. If you die during the trial, record this as well.
9) When you're all done, your results should look something like the following. Please post them in this thread so that those who want to keep track of the data can copy it into their spreadsheets.
Block: #1 Graveyard - 1 block south of the temple
Character: Dug The Digger
Stats: 1 Str, 1 Quick, 10 Int, 50 Luck, 1 Dex, 1 Pers
Broken Shovels: 28
copper ore: 284
iron ore: 240
tin ball: 220
lapis lazuli: 232
oreputty: 475 (if on TA)
gold nugget: 1234
Total Silvers (all sales at 50%): 2,000,000
10) The following is the list of blocks upon which the trials will take place. Please try to do them in order.
#1 Graveyard - 1 block south of the temple
#2 TA - 1 block east of the port
#3 Dark District - Southern port block
#4 Forest - 1st forest block
#5 Caverns - 2 blocks east of the CC
#6 Novice Quarter - 1 block north of the CC
#7 Magician District - 1 block north of the arena
#8 Fighters District - 1 block west of the CC
As I'm assuming my extreme tiredness is causing me to make numerous errors and oversights, I hope/assume my fellow dig-a-holics will post addendums and corrections.
Sandy, Raiken & sash777