Forums » The Larkinor Quest
Thord-Artin
Replies: 47   Pages: 4   Most recent reply posted by: tdurand (May 5, 2006 11:47 AM)
Welcome, Guest
Login
Guest Settings
 Reply to this Topic  Post New Topic  Search Forum

Back to Topic List

Replies: 47   Pages: 4   [ Go: 1 2 3 4 » ]
Little_Boo

Thord-Artin Posted: May 3, 2006 3:14 AM
You can all blame me.

I started it, and I decided it was okay.

There are now many of us in the game who WILL steal on Thord-Artin.

I speak for myself, and if anyone wishes to stand with me,they may choose to do so.

I am tired of having been denied the right to use my skill that I took the time to build up. I have the right to use it on whatever block in the game I so choose. Because of this, I have decided that my thieves will be stealing on Thord-Artin, and I declared in chat that I think it is OKAY to steal there.

Let the flames begin.

~Boo

orangepookiepi

Re: Thord-Artin Posted: May 3, 2006 3:16 AM
Amen

moonliter

Re: Thord-Artin Posted: May 3, 2006 3:17 AM
ok, open season then!!

Cinder

Re: Thord-Artin Posted: May 3, 2006 3:25 AM
So that means youre retracting your "joker" remark then Moonlighter? I never joke about other peoples money..I take it very seriously, and as often as possible!

I'm going with the theives on this one (surprise surprise), having a "gentlemans agreement" was all fine and dandy when there was one block open on TA, theres plenty open now, and besides most of the characters worth stealing from are on T.A. 90% of the time.

Let the games begin

Cinder.

jason_kroeker

Re: Thord-Artin Posted: May 3, 2006 3:28 AM
i personally don't like the idea (emphasis on "i"). there are so many thieves so many lvl's higher than me, that if they do get something valuable (like a lot of nubs), i couldn't fight to get them back. right now we're still pin-pointing our way towards the table, so most fighters are on the same square. now, when table is open, and we have less direction, i would mind a bit less, because if i see a thief, i'd run to a different square to fight. but right now, we should still fight towards the table instead of all over. that being said, i ask thieves to stop at least til table square is open.
--jason

moonliter

Re: Thord-Artin Posted: May 3, 2006 3:52 AM
>So that means youre retracting your "joker" remark then Moonlighter?

Nope. You hit that character every time I walked into the square to build or to fight. I can understand once but three times?

moonliter

Re: Thord-Artin Posted: May 3, 2006 3:56 AM
> we should still fight towards the table instead of all over. that being said, i ask thieves to stop at least til table square is open.

Thats what I thought was going on. So that is why I started making more and more trips to TA top clear and build. Was going good earlier in the evening then the last 3 out of 4 times I was over there trying to accomplish something I got hit. Why bother taking the time to go over when I can level and get stole from on larki proper? Why waste clicks going across the sea? I only try to carry so much cash over at a time so I can accomplish a few things and if I waste the clicks to get there then get my cash stolen or items I have to go get more. Wasted clicks, wasted time. Yada, yada, yada.

Raiken

Re: Thord-Artin Posted: May 3, 2006 4:00 AM
There comes a time when agreements are not followed by all. When a small percentage chooses to contravene and reap benefits, the majority usually follows. Its sad that we cannot keep TA as a 'paradise' where everyone works together to establish a new island, but its a part of the game and there is every right for individuals to do so. Soon enough TA will be no different to our mainland, where theives steal without mercy, pvp fighters attacking our own front line soldiers at will. There will be many controversies sorrounding this issue, certainly hindering our TA progress but also bringing about an awareness of the perils similar to those we experience on Larkinor.

However i think a balance must be met, where there is a general agreement such as stealing and pvping only on squares that are not being cleared or being built on as top priority. Such as the soon to be cleared forest square, and later on the table square. This can ensure not only our conquestors clear without need of distractions and losing precious nubs, builders continuing with their building efforts without risk, and diggers/thieves from dropdown provide precious nails and putty without being aggravated. Nevertheless TA will never be the same safehaven it once was.

braves06

Re: Thord-Artin Posted: May 3, 2006 6:26 AM
ta was never really a safehaven tho because thieves still stole there. yes i will steal on ta and i can really care less what any1 else thinks, but i dont think it will slow building or killing down at all . it really is fair because now theres alot of squares and alot more people on ta. the way i see it now all types of characters *cept robbers* can now benifit on ta . did you really think there was always going to be a place where you can lv almost twice as fast that will stay thiefless?

~braves

KillingmeSoftly

Re: Thord-Artin Posted: May 3, 2006 10:20 AM
It is your prerogative to steal on TA as with anything in this game. I can only think though that progress will slow down further once people begin to thieve from fighters. I know I shall be tempted to stop fighting should I find myself too much of a sitting duck on the frontline. People will start fighting away from the frontline in an attempt to avoid losing their hard fought nubs.

From a personal and entirely selfish point of view I play the game with a close watch on my finances. With my new building addiction (top 10 now ) I have to be careful not to be out of pocket and every nub is precious. I cannot afford to have any cheeky thieves helping themselves.

The biggest clearers on TA try to fill their sack before dumping on the market, again this will be twharted by thieving - the days of filling my pack with 490 nubs seems to be over.

The progress we are making is relatively slow still. Further I can only imagine increased "nub loss" issues should thieving take off. The slots will go quickly and bumping may become rife. I will of course be more than happy to buy any knocked-off nubs you may collect for bargain prices though .

I say all of this from an "I" point of view as seems to be the way of this thread. I have though tried to point out why a continued amnesty is not only preferential but necessary if clearing TA before I'm old and grey is to be a realistic aim. Feel free to do as you may but I for one shall not steal from others (at least for the time being) on TA. I say this as someone with 1 thief at 200 and 2 more fast approaching.

(Should you steal from people - builders etc, please be "honourable" and let them get the take back - the arguments here seem to be over stealing xp, this you can have but allow takebacks - a homeport/trip back has a bigger impact on a fighter. If you are a higher lvl please list them at th 50% for the victim to take back as with any other "important" item)

KmS - knows this will not stop people but it was good essay writing practice for me

KillingmeSoftly

Re: Thord-Artin Posted: May 3, 2006 10:25 AM
(also) * Certain characters may stop fighting outright should there be a crime surge. This would stop TA progress dramatically.

KmS (who having said his piece will try to shut up now)

Montsegur

Re: Thord-Artin Posted: May 3, 2006 10:30 AM
there will be alot of nubs lost due to this.

ilostmyotherself

Re: Thord-Artin Posted: May 3, 2006 11:23 AM
Personally, I think that stealing on TA will very much hinder the progress of clearing and building. The only players that will benifit are the higher levels, and the dishonorable thieves. The higher level thieves will be able to fend off most of their victems, and the higher level players will be able to take back their stuff the majority of the time. The dishonorable thieves will just homeport with your nubs, gems, MD's, and other valuables.

What this leaves is the low and mid-level players. Not as valuable to the progress of TA individually, but when combined they make up a significant contribution. A mid-level fighter who is already struggling for cash while trying to upgrade weapons and armour, as well as to help build, is more likely to decide that it isnt worth their clicks to go to TA only to have their valuables stolen with no hope of beating the thief to get them back.

Not only that they might get stolen, but also that they wont be able to place thier nubs on the market for holding. Most thieves will post the nubs they get, and after a day or two of that, high-priced nubs will get bumped. Soon after, mid-priced nubs will go as well. And for those who say dont post what you cant hold in your house...I refer you back to the part about not having alot of cash. No cash, no houseparts and smaller traps.

I personally will not be stealing on TA. I like stealing, and TeoT will miss her friends in the stealing party in CC, but for me, its dishonorable.

No one can stop other players from making their own decisions, but I ask you to remember your anger at Qaid and others who were stealing on TA. I dont remember anyone laughing and thinking it was fun to have their nubs stolen.

As one last note, I have seen in the last few hours, a few people get personally mad at friends about this. We are ALL entitled to our opinions, and it IS a game. State your opinion, make your decisions, and try not to carry your anger or frustrations beyond this small portion of the game.

Thanks for reading the ramblings of a tired woman.
TeT

SandyT

Re: Thord-Artin Posted: May 3, 2006 3:09 PM
Since the world revolves around me, I'll post my opinion too, although I'll try to be less wordy than most of my predecessors: might makes right in this game, always has and always will.

There are only a few theives who can get away with stealing from Callum without risking a round trip home. Steal from me only if you really like sailing.

As for those few who can steal from me without fear... you've earned everything you can pick from my pack! You'll not only have my stuff, you'll have my envy and respect!

Sandy

geoc

Re: Thord-Artin Posted: May 3, 2006 4:11 PM
I personally applaud Boo's decision. TA should run by the same rules as the rest of the game. While it is true that high level players will get a break compared to low level and midlevel players on TA, such is the case on the mainland as well.

The consensus of the community has been that low level characters who don't like being robbed or beat up or generally taken advantage of should get over it. TA should be the same.

Each player should have the right to play their character according to the player's intended persona and should be permitted to reap the benefits and consequences of their decision. If we, as a community, choose to impose a standard of sportsmanship on the game or standard of cooperation in the name of some utilitarian ideal, then the standard should be applied uniformly. Since there appears to be no interest in limiting behavior outside of TA to "honorable" behavior, I can see no compelling justification for limiting behavior on TA to "honorable behavior.

Replies: 47   Pages: 4   [ Go: 1 2 3 4 » ]

Back to Topic List      Top of the page