« Back to All Topics
Competition!!!!
Competition!!!!
Competition!!!!
Task

Create a story, using only things from within the game. 

Rules

It must be no more than 500 words (i wear glasses).
It must be PG rated
Only 1 submission is allowed
Entries must be posted on this thread only
Entries posted after the last day of this month will be disregarded

Prize:

The Prizes will be:

1st Place: 
Diamond Shovel
1 item of your choice for your highest level char on the account you post with.
25 million silvers

2nd place:
1 item of your choice for your highest level char on the account you post with.
10 million silvers

3rd place:

5 million silvers

Special Note:

If there are insufficient entries, prizes will be reduced.

Please elaborate - are there any rules, can it be about fighting, just a story, etc.

I'm sorry to bug you, but I don't want to end up looking like an idiot.

(Which I might have already done...)
> Only 1 submission is allowed

"The sun rose over Larkinor."

I win!

Seriously though, one submission per account or per person?  (I'm assuming one per person, but you mentioned "the account you post with" in one of the prizes.)

Be warned fellow writers, I want a diamond shovel pretty badly.

Sandy

1 submission per person is correct. You must post your submission using the account on which the character you hope to win with sits.

This means if you have multiple accounts, you must choose which one to post with very carefully as a duplicate submission from someone using two different accounts will disqualify both.

Basically, Consider yourself to be a character from within Larkinor itself. Whilst you may refer to things outside of the game environment, all references must be done using ONLY things that a character from within the game can be expected to see.

The subject matter of your story does not have to be based within larkinor, but the context of it does.
Ok, thanks for this challenging invitation, it is a great idea to keep the players more in-world, particularly now when the main thing is down.

However, why limit entries to one per person? If someone has several story plots on her/his mind, she/he needs to pick one out of several "children".

Furthermore, do the rules allow using standard English language, the only limitation being that it has to be from the perspective of a character in the game? For instance, is it legal to refer to the things/items not encountered in the actual game, but which match the overall fictitious setup (e.g. trolls, catapults, alchemy, republican revolution in Larkinor, etc.)?

Last but not the least, who is in the review board and what guidelines will they follow in deciding the winners?

Sorry to pester with questions,

EG
> Whilst you may refer to things outside of the game
> environment, all references must be done using ONLY
> things that a character from within the game can be
> expected to see.

Ok I get it, should read all the posts more carefully.

My two other concerns still stand.

Tx.
I will review it, with my usual wit and charm, and of course my experience as an english teacher :D

The criteria i will use shall remain a mystery of course so that nobody has to worry about what their submission will be scored on, and just concentrate on their story instead:D:D
When is the closing date for entries?

And is it ok to post submissions directly onto the forum, or should we email them?

Thanks
Sorry - ignore this one :) I should read more carefully - 

Closing date is end of the month, and entries should only be posted here. 
A quick question to help me determine which account to post  my story with:  Can the item of your choice be a diamond shovel, or is that just a specialty item for first place only?  Thanks.
The shovel is only for the winner :D

I might just be bothered if I see a diamond crowbar.

Kidding, kidding, but I'll see what I can do.
If my digger isn't the highest level character on my account can he get the diamond shovel anyway?...... if not there isn't much point in my fighter getting a diamond shovel that he can't use....
Ahh, ignore that, I read it again and see the only thing for the highest level char is the item of choice.....
Question: If only one, two maybe entries are submitted, what kind of a prize 'reduction' are we talking about? ;\
Now, now, don't go doing that.  This is like an eBay Auction, no one wants to subit their entry until the last minute.  At least that's my plan.  My story is fully written, but you're going to have to wait another 10 days to see it.

Sandy
so is mine..has been for weeks 
Hmmm... tempted to submit my story today... going away for a long weekend.

Sandy

..... (sorry couldn't see V's last post)
Nor can anyone see yours... yet.  So how did I do it?  Heh!

Actually, V didn't make a post.  A mod deleted the most recent post, and when that happens the "LAST POST" field on the forum page reverts back to the original post.  A little bug there.

Sandy

The Forbidden Truth

The Unofficial Story: What Really Happened Fifty Years Ago

Wondorg brought Sanyíí to the altar and sat him in a circle as other priests began chanting.  A reading was a sign of status.  A north temple reading would've been better, but Talyír was pleased his son had gotten one.

The chant stopped short and the hooded priests vanished into the shadows.

"What?" Talyír wondered.  "What did you see?  What's his future?"

The head priest shook his head.  "I saw death."

"No.  You saw wrong; do it again."

"Nothing has changed; it will be the same."

"But it can change?  How?"

"I saw but shadows.  There was one thing: the form of a horse.  I don't know how or why, only it is connected."

"Sanyíí must never see a horse," Talyír decided.

He petitioned the king to rid the island of horses to save his son's life.  Lorden VI took pity on him, and agreed it would be done when an alternate method of transportation could be perfected to replace his carriage.

Talyír thanked him and labored day and night to safely animate a carriage with magic.

All horses were exported from Larkinor, but Sanyíí's fate did not change.

The shadowy figure Wondorg had seen must be a centaur.

The magic carriage brought Talyír prestige; so when he came to Lorden with this conclusion, his proposal was accepted.

Centaurs were caught by the hundreds and forced to neighboring islands, until people would wander for days without seeing any.

Talyír was confident Sanyíí's fate had changed.  Instead Talyír found his son burning with fever.

He raced to the south temple, but no matter how the priests prayed, Sanyíí only got worse.

The next morning half the priests were sick; the next day the disease had spread throughout the dark district; a week, and a third of the population was ill.  The death toll numbered in the thousands; the south temple became a dumping ground for bodies. 

King Lorden declared a state of emergency, locked himself away in the palace, and secretly sent representatives to the various tribal shamans to find a cure.

Finally, in desperation, he sent a treaty allowing the centaurs to return if their shamans had a cure.

The centaur shamans brought a rare medicine called dragongrass.  It worked, but not before half the population had died, including Sanyíí.

Lorden credited the priests for ending the disease, but Talyír knew better.  "False prophet!" he accused Wondorg.  "You said a horse would cause my son's death; so how could he die by this plague?"

"Talyír," Wondorg shook his head.  "Did it occur to you where this plague came from?  Who created it and set it upon the island?"

Talyír felt sick as it dawned on him.  "The centaurs."  They were the only ones to gain from this tragedy.  How else had they found a cure so readily?  "It's my fault."  He walked away staring over a sea of bodies; a thriving city now nothing more than a graveyard.  He quit his position in shame, but can still be found riding his horseless carriage, lamenting his loss.

-ezekial
Mr. Iscariot

Judas took the 30 pieces of silver and put them into his backpack. He sat down in the chair of his house, trying to understand what had brought him to this point in his life. 

From an early age, Judas was always something of an outsider. He’d worked hard to gain the recognition of his friends and family, often engaging in dangerous missions to prove himself. When he was just 6 years old, his father sent him to fetch some wine from Grunden, the local winemaker. Judas fell into the cellar and had to fight his way through several deadly mosquitoes. When he emerged from the cellar, he was holding the corpse of one of the mosquitoes. Judas placed the corpse in a small wooden box, which from that moment on never left his side. 

Falling into the cellar taught Judas 2 very important things. First, he’d learnt the importance of self-reliance. Judas swore to himself that he’d never put himself in a situation where he’d have to rely on anyone else. Second, he’d learnt that doing deeds for others normally resulted in a reward. It was this lesson that sparked his hunger for more rewards, for more silver. 

In his teenage years, Judas got a job at the market. From his missions, he was able to sell his rewards for even more silver. Judas became an experienced trader, often earning more silver than he was able to carry. It was abilities with money that landed him a second job at the temple as a treasurer. Occasionally Judas would try to steal the offerings, although he quickly learnt that it was more trouble than it was worth. 

After more than a decade at the market, Judas found himself yearning for more. The silvers he was earning couldn’t fill the growing appetite for something more meaningful. He was spending more and more of his time and his silvers in Master Lhepessy's Pub, trying to fill the void with expensive brandies and cuvees. It was after one particularly long evening that he finally found what he thought he had been looking for, a real friend. 

This friend was different, seemingly oblivious to the world of silver and missions. Judas knew that he could learn a lot from his new friend, and began following him wherever he went. Although they lived like beggars, there were always people willing to provide them with rations and a place to stay. His friend soon gained a large following, and Judas felt increasingly conflicted between his new life and his old life. It was then that he realized he needed make a choice, involving sacrifice and betrayal. 

Judas knew what he had to do. He got up from the chair, left his house, and turned his back on the cityguards who had given him the silver. He made his way back to his beloved market to make one final purchase. Judas put the piece of zanzastring into his backpack and made his way north to the forest.   

Subprime set out one lonely night
To see the world and make it known
That he was well prepared to fight
But he didn’t want to work alone

-Chorus-
It’s all about the fame boys
You know this much is true
It’s all about the fame girls
I think I’ll have some too

He gathered together a crew of heels
Cutthroats, thieves and sages
The lost, they are the lucky, I feel
No one is safe from the mages

-Chorus-

Together they sought to dominate
Every aspect and facet of life
What does it take to be truly great?
Do you have to be quick with a knife?

-Chorus-

Well, no, it turns out there are myriad ways
To notch-up your belt without swords
I serve The King during all of my days
But what are the deeds that please Lords?

-Chorus-

Subprime is a mage with a special knack
For re-popping monsters on ‘Artin
He’s found that once you give ‘em a whack
They are always more docile for cartin’

-Chorus-

Digger is lucky and possessed of the skill
To generate mountains of cash
His massive production provides him a thrill
Which others can spend in a flash

-Chorus- 

The Fighters are several and get all the press
For splatting is talk of the town
If you are ahead on the list, then I guess
You’d best be prepared to step down

-Chorus-

Colonel Campbell, uniquely, is destined for fame
His strength will be widely renowned
He will be the strongest one ever to reign
Old legends will soon wear a frown

-Chorus-

Rounder, a multi-talented hack
Not great at any one thing
But beware of the gear in your house or your pack
Because lifting it just makes him sing

-Chorus-

Individuals can't act with impunity
A loner couldn't hope to defend
We are part of a greater community
A legend must always have friends

-Chorus-

A friend helps when you need it, sonny
Information’s what I’m talking about
If you just want some more money
I suggest you start digging it out

-Chorus-

Thanks to BOO and Thom and VOD
Don’t forget Ralph and D and Calhoun
Oh, and there’s Jas and Floss and Lusha, by God
But if you’re top ‘o the list, best make room

-Chorus-

Sandy of course, as The Royal Scribe
Gets a mention all by himself
He is a friend to all of the tribe
And his archives promote our great wealth
-Chorus-

I might be willing, if you don’t annoy
To share in what I have learned
Or to help with a task to big for you, oi
As long as respect, you have earned

-Chorus-

By now you should know that the key to achieve
And get what you sought when you came
Is to manage opinion so others believe
That YOU are deserving of fame

-Chorus-

Respectfully submitted for your consideration,

Subprime

News had spread fast around the city that the King was, once again, in need of a brave warrior. Fighters and Mage’s alike rushed to the Palace to hear tales of a new mission. I joined the crowd trying to force my way nearer the steps of the Palace but to no avail. Rumours were rife about that Larkinorians who’d been away fighting on nearby Thord-Artin had made the long boat trek back to Larkinor. The temptation of a prize Imp Mushroom too much to resist, knowing full well once it’s consumed they would have a slight advantage over the Army of monsters they had been battling against for the past 2 years.

I felt a minor movement then slight pressure behind me; I turn just in time to see a dastardly thief disappear with half the contents of my backpack. Torn between chasing after the pickpocket and making a mental note of who the swine is, my decision is interrupted as a sudden silence falls over the crowd. The first of the boats have returned from TA, the older and more experienced warriors push their way through the crowd; I spot one I know and manage to tag on the end, hoping to blend in as they disappear into the palace. The mission is revealed in Prince Lakoon's room to only those deemed worthy, a new mission meant only one thing, that the diggers had uncovered a new labyrinth somewhere on Larkinor Island. Once the mission was accepted detailed instructions were issued of how to find the labyrinth’s entrance and what item the King desired from the depths within.

The market, temple and stores become a torrent of excitement as warriors begin gearing up for their challenge. New and improved weapons and armour are made and fitted, miracle and mana satchels slung into backpacks along with lots of aqua dei and cure potions. Some of the warriors discuss ideas of what they think might lie ahead as they trek towards the entrance of the labyrinth.    

The entrance looms in front of me, beckoning me to enter into the darkness of the labyrinth. The entrance drops me straight into a cross road-ed corridor, where dark shadows of monsters are visible from all four directions. I head north and encounter an Imitator, I draw my magnetosteel mortal and slay the monster in one hit, the door slams closed behind me, it appears to be locked seeming to trap me, forcing me to continue north along the corridor. I heal my wounds and proceed with my exploration. I collect a Golden key along route, and place it for safe keeping in my backpack. I encounter several other monsters including a Gnarl, a Male naga, a Magelifter, and a Piranha Trough before setting off a trap that causes me 500hp’s of damage. The tunnel ends abruptly at a Golden door, the rumours all ended here, once entered I know my fate lies in my own dexterity, its kill or be killed time.

~Tourist
I would be delighted to hear Sandy's story. Such a brilliant mind must be able to shock me. I have no way near the patience, creativity or confidence to do one of these.
Addiction

It was raining when Syrio stepped off the boat not believing he is finally there.
Larkinor, the land of opportunities.

"In Larkinor you could be whoever you wanted to be Syrio. A mage. A thief or a robber. A hero."
"And my father was a hero right?"
His mother smiled. "Yes, one of the greatest. He was famous, known all over Illaria." her eyes got sad as she stared into darkness "And then he died."
"In the plague?"
"Yes. He told me to take you and leave. He was going to join us later. He said that the king needs him, but I think he just didn't want to leave. The next day he was already sick." she sighed "Larkinor can be addictive Syrio. Its like a trap."

Syrio picked up his bag when he saw a man standing few feets away from him, looking at the sea.
He stepped closer "Can you please tell me how to get to the City Center?"
The man turned and Syrio saw his face. He looked old. And tired.
Old man looked Syrio up and down "New one around here eh?"
Syrio smiled and nodded.
"So what brings you to Larkinor kid? Fame? Fortune? Or both?"
"I'm going to be a hero."
Old man started laughing "A hero? You got some big dreams boy."
"My father was a hero, I want to be just like him."
"Just like your father eh .. You think its that easy? You just come here, kill creatures and become famous? Its not. Theres a price to pay. Trust me."
Syrio furrowed his brows "What price?"
"Once you kill .. you may find out its impossible to leave."
Syrio stared at him "I don't believe that."
Old man shrugged. "So don't. Why believe some old man anyway eh?"
He winked at Syrio and patted him on the shoulder "Welcome to Larkinor kid."
Then he turned back to look at the sea. "Just keep walking north and you'll be in the City Center."
Next day while exploring Larkinor, Syrio found himself in the forest.
His steps made hardly any noise as he entered and looked around.
The trees had a silver glow and everything was so quiet. Too quiet.
No wind. No birds. No animals. Only silence.
He continued going further into the woods when he saw an unknown creature approaching.

Theres a price to pay

"No" Syrio said to himself. "I don't believe that"
He pulled out his sword and took a deep breathe, ready to battle.
When he saw who the creature was, he almost started laughing.
"A mosquito swarm?"
It was over fast. Few strikes and the mosquitos were dead.
Wind came out of nowhere ruffling the leaves.
Syrio felt blood rushing through his veins as he looked at the dead bodies around him.
He had never felt so alive. Never felt like he truly belongs somewhere.
Until now.
If Syrio wouldve listened, he wouldve heard humming. Whispers. Chanting.

Welcome to Larkinor ...
Just another day in Larkinor

It was a nice sunny afternoon at the larki swamp. A hypopegasus was singing its mating song somewhere in the leaves of a nearby forestent, a few mammutflies were buzzing around...

And there he was. The mighty warrior Majawa. Ah,who is he kidding. Almost died in the last king’s mission. He was about to get eaten by the hideous BadBoy when he tripped and fell throwing his ruby flamespitter at the monser by accident. Well he got lucky cause it hit him and gave Majawa enough time to catch him with a net. And tonight he had to go to another mission-spy for Lorden at the annual monsters of larki reunion party.

Majawa threw a rock in the water hitting a Razortoothed piranha knocking it out cold. He decided its time to go to the party as the sun was setting already and started walking towards the cave where it was held.

Soon he heard the songs of the fauns and saw the entrance of the cave guarded by two Heavily built bullies. He put on his disguise-a mummy costume and stepped infront of the 2 guards.
-Password ?- asked on of them
-Pork chops-Said Majawa. Stupid monsters never changed the pw.
The other monster took a minute to check the pw in his notebook and let him enter.
The cave smelled awful. Well it was full of monsters after all. The chiefs of every larki monster spieces were there.

Majawa found a spot and sat down trying not to attract attention. The monsters were really up to something…
-The potion is ready Mwahaha-said a twodozeneyes
-Wid dis potion we will tarn Lorden into e beby and wid him out af da way da throne will be ours!! Mwahahaha-added an ork warrior.

Our hero heard enough. He was about to head for the exit when he saw a hideous amazon walking towards him! Being awful with girls he couldn’t think of a single thing to say to make her go away. Trying to walk away from her he tripped and started falling. He tried to grab something but it didn’t handle his weight and he fell. When he got up he saw he was holding her skirt and everyone was looking at him
-Hes not a monster! Mummies don’t blush!-a Bario noticed-Siese him!
That could have been the end of Majawa. But not this time. He started running towards the exit when he tripped again(oh God) on the very cauldron with the potion.Then a pinkish brownish greenish smoke covered everything behind him for a mintute before it vanished leaving the room full of monster babies!

An hour later at the palace.
-Well done brave Majawa-said king Lorden
-It was my duty sir!-bowed Majawa
-And now for your reward. -Hearing this Majawas eyes took the shape of silvers - I will be generous this time…I will give you…custody of all the monster babies! They are all yours! Isnt this just wonderful news!
-But but sir!
Too late. Lorden was already walking away.
Sure isnt fun to be called Majawa in this cruel world full of monster babies.
Yep just another day in Larkinor…

Jess
And good luck to everyone :)
The Goddess of the Fog

Callum hopped to the next tussock, noting with a frown that this seemed to be the last of them.  He was going to have to walk through the murky water from here on.  It hadn't gotten very deep yet, but he took off his boots and stuffed them into his backpack anyway.  He'd been wearing the same pair for three months, and with holes worn into the soles, they no longer kept his feet dry.

With his pants rolled up to his knees, he continued deeper into the swamp.  As he scanned the mist for signs of movement, his mind drifted back to his visit to Master Lhepessy's Pub the night before.

He'd reluctantly been drawn into a conversation with a couple of retired adventurers, who inexplicably saw themselves as his peers.  They were already deep into their cups and a little too comfortable with his company when the elder of the two said he didn't think Callum should be fighting in the Thord-Artin war.

"Explore the swamp instead, sonny!  Can it be that ye haven't heard of the Goddess of the Fog who dwells within?"

"They say she's beautiful beyond measure," the other added, "with golden skin and scarlet wings, and she comes out on foggy nights, glowing like a bloody moon.  She only appears to those who are prepared to test themselves for the next level… 
immortality
!"

The elder locked eyes with Callum and spoke with the seriousness that only drunken old men can muster.  "Leave the war to those who have something to prove, sonny.  Find 
her
!"  He looked down, examining the dregs in his cup.  "That's what 
I
 shoulda done…"

Callum snapped back from these memories when a sharp pain suddenly erupted on the back of his left leg.  He swung his fist around and crushed a large insect that was chewing its way into his calf.  "Blasted bugs," he muttered as he scraped off the bloody mess, "they grow as big as ravens around..."

He stopped suddenly.  Poison!  He could feel it quickly spreading from the wound!  He reached for the aqua dei in his pack, but it was already too late.  His vision clouded over as he dropped to his knees then fell face-first into the muck.

When he regained consciousness he was at home in bed.  A baby-faced priest was smiling down at him, completing the motions of a resurrection spell.

"You're lucky someone found you out there in that swamp," the priest said.  He held up the corpse of one of the raven-sized insects.  "Fog Bugs they call 'em.  You were their all-you-can-eat buffet.  It's easy to see 'em coming, since they only come out on foggy nights and they glow bright gold and red."  He paused.  "Didn't 
you
 know that?"

"GET OUT!" Callum barked and watched with satisfaction as the priest scrambled out the door.  He got up and chugged a diavovino on his way over to Lhepessy's.  He opened the door and drew his sword with a grin.

Sandy

There was more than a usual crowd lingering at Master Lhepessy's that evening and I decided to have my beer at the counter.
- Say Master Lhepessy, what's with all the commotion here on the Main Square? - I ventured.
- Ah, young Mild Gepherco was condemned this afternoon in the Royal Court and the poor boy is bound to die morrow.
- Really? What for?
- High treason, apparently.
- Not apparently! That court spy, what's his name, who was the key witness, testified about all the gruesome stuff that twit Gepherco was saying. - Slow Mind Koumpouno cut in, a puny wizard apprentice who spent more time here at Lhepessy's than attending his classes at the nearby Royal College of Magic and Related Crafts.
- The fella was just saying what he saw and heard. - said the old regular in the corner whose name I could not remember. It is probably because he never introduced himself.
- You lost me here guys. - I was confused by this odd story.
- Here is how it was. - Master Lhepessy was always talkative, like any pub owner worth his salt - Remember when the local paper reported about Gepherco involved in that scandal with some theft in the Magic College?
- He stole the Kumigundra's magic wand! - clarified Koumpouno, not without some envy in his voice. I gather that Gepherco did raise some interest among the female students in the College after that bold trick, despite the fact that he never shone at classes.
- All right, all right. Then the King sent some town heroes to retrieve it and put a stop to that havoc. Do you remember?
- Oh yes, I do. - I could not conceal a smile. One day I will tell these lads about me having more than a small role in that affair.
- Well, after that Gepherco mysteriously disappeared and nobody heard anything about him until last week when he suddenly disembarked a foreign ship in the Southern Port. A blabbermouth as he is, he began to tell all sorts of stories about the lands from afar to anyone who would listen. It seems that after that incident he managed to board one of the ships that sailed to the Continent, then travelled all across the world and came back full of funny ideas.
- Funny ideas?
- Funny indeed! They are horrible! - Koumpouno obviously knew more about it than it could be heard at the trial. - He was talking about the lands where they do not have magic! Preposterous, really. Instead, they employ some thing called "science".
- The funniest idea of all to me was that the world was a sphere, not a plate! - added Lhepessy thoughtfully.
- But what really sent him to the gallows was the story about some strange lands called Rhetorics! - said Koumpouno triumphantly.
- Repulsives. - corrected Lhepessy.
- Republics. - said the old main in the corner impishly.
Once upon a time, on a bright sunny day, Anufa the Faun was strolling down the main street of the City Center. His sorrow was deep indeed. It was one thing that his generously organized birthday-party was declared a threat to the Royal Court of Larkinor (and thus, at least more visitors and guests could be expected, each bringing wonderful presents), but his true wish, to be able to serve a gourgeous, freshly-baked loaf of bread, seemed to be fading away. 
-„Oh, if only I had been more observant, and realized I had no batter to make my butter bitter or at least my bread better, I wouldn’t have to be in such a hurry!”
Sadly, Anufa the Faun entered Master Lhepessy's Pub. Hoping for some advice, he bought a glass of wine and gave it to the old man sitting at the counter. He thanked Anufa the Faun, and started to talk: 
-"You probably don't know that a membranehelm can be made from a skivian helm, 2 extinguished nimbuses and 7 eardrums!"
This wasn’t exactly what Anufa the Faun was expecting. Rather startled, he bought another glass of wine and gave it to the old man sitting at the counter. He thanked Anufa the Faun again, and started to talk: 
-"Have you heard it buddy, that you must cut your coat according to your cloth!"
Anufa the Faun was very sad. He stood up and was about to leave.  However, after stumbling over one of the people celebrating the adventurer who just defeated the strongest clone in the arena, Master Lhepessy whispered to him:
“-Sir, I would suggest searching for Prince Keldahr if you seek batter to make your bread better! If anyone, he should have stocked up some loot on his journeys. 
 Anufa the Faun was overjoyed! Quickly his hoofs dangled in the humid air, and due to lack of any other interest, his body followed them. Straight to the thief, who was just being busy with a few locks when they collided.
“Dear Prince Keldahr! So good to see you! Please, I have a huge favour to ask you! You perhaps know from Lorden about my birthday party – I would like to personally invite you! However, I would need your help...Please, could you spare some batter to make my home-made bread better?”
The thief looked very kindly at the faun, and answered the question without delay.
“ Get lost. I’m busy, can’t you see?!” If I wanted to give you batter, I’d use my magnetosteel club. Go bug someone else with your issues, or else face a demerit.”
Anufa the Faun felt very sad again. He really wanted to please his guests! So he had no choice but to go on, in search of some batter. And after a short walk, his luck seemed to change...A kind lady, yet seemingly mighty sorceress came face to face with him.
“Mia Neptune! How great an honour it is to witness your elegance! I can only pray that your heart be so gentle as your appearance! Please, if I may ask you a favour...”
After unintendedly adjusting the shape of numerous tents in the marketplace, due to an elegant (yet uncontrolled) flight, and after leaving 25 famepoints behind, Anufa the Faun stood up very disappointed. Rubbing off dust and blood from his forehead, he looked on to see if there would be anyone as kind as to lend him some batter to make his bread better. 
And sure enough, Jack Skellington’s errands were about to cross the faun’s. He greeted Anufa the Faun with a tender and trustful smile. Yet for some odd reason, an ancient faun-phrase came through Anufa the Faun’s mind: “Never look a skeleton in the mouth, otherwise your soul will shortly fly south!”.  Very sadly, he concluded that there would be no fresh bread on his birthday party.
Ever since that day, the Adventurers of Larkinor often ponder about why there is still no backery on the Island, and the only bread available is for military purposes only.

NicramDuel
Ooops, 500 words. Scratch the last edition(though I like that one bat...ooops, better), here's the one I'd like to qualify with.

The Birthday

Once upon a time, on a bright sunny day, Anufa the Faun was strolling down City Center. His sorrow was deep indeed. It was one thing that his generously organized birthday-party was declared a threat by the Royal Court of Larkinor (and thus, at least more visitors and guests could be expected, all bringing wonderful presents), but his true wish, to be able to serve a gourgeous, freshly-baked loaf of bread, seemed to be fading away. 

-„Oh, if only I had been more observant, and realized I had no batter to make my butter bitter or at least my bread better, I wouldn’t have to be in such a hurry!”

Sadly, Anufa the Faun entered Master Lhepessy's Pub. Hoping for some advice, he bought a glass of wine and gave it to the old man sitting at the counter. He thanked Anufa the Faun, and started to talk: 

-"You probably don't know that a membranehelm can be made from a skivian helm, 2 extinguished nimbuses and 7 eardrums!"

This wasn’t exactly what Anufa the Faun was expecting. Rather startled, he bought another glass of
wine and gave it to the old man sitting at the counter. Who was grateful again, and started to talk: 

-"Have you heard it buddy, that you must cut your coat according to your cloth!"

Disappointed, and all out of gold, the faun got up to leave. A hooded figure whispered to him though:

“-Search for Prince Keldahr. Batter? Well, if anyone, he should have stocked up some loot on his journeys.”

Anufa the Faun was overjoyed! Quickly his hoofs dangled in the humid air, and due to lack of any other interest, his body followed them. Straight to the thief, who was busy with a few locks when they collided.

“Dear Prince Keldahr! So good to see you! Please, I have a huge favour to ask you! You perhaps know from Lorden about my birthday party – I would like to personally invite you! However, I would need your help...Please, could you spare some batter to make my home-made bread better?”

The thief looked very kindly at the faun, and answered the question without delay.

“ Get lost. I’m busy, can’t you see?!” If I wanted to give you batter, I’d use my magnetosteel club. Go bug someone else with your issues, or else face a demerit.”

Bewildered and running short of time, Anufa the faun had to look on. Sure enough, Jack Skellington’s errands were about to cross the faun’s. He greeted Anufa the Faun with a tender and trustful smile. Yet somehow, an ancient faun-phrase came through Anufa the Faun’s mind: “Never look a skeleton in the mouth, otherwise your soul will shortly fly south!”. Very sadly, he concluded that there would be no fresh bread on his birthday party.

Ever since that day, adventurers of Larkinor often ponder about why there is still no bakery on the Island, and the only bread available can be used strictly for military purposes only.

Nicram

P.S.: ****=J_A_C_K.;)
	You have heard whispered rumors throughout Larkinor of a mysterious island located somewhere in the far north ocean. On this island, one can find fabulous treasures, precious jewels, and the prized chameleon stones. 
	The chameleon stone has the amazing quality of changing into anything that it is placed near, making the stone a rare and coveted find. There is an amulet, made from all the jewels in Larkinor, which when placed near the stone makes it glow with all the colors of the rainbow, allowing the chameleon stone to be easily found. 
	It is unknown what, if any, denizens inhabit the island or what effort must be made to establish a base port to gain egress onto it. However, it may prove well worth the tremendous effort required to locate and exploit this mysterious island, as an industrious person can become very wealthy gathering and selling the desirable chameleon stones.
	A stout heart, a good ship, and an unquenchable thirst for adventure almost demand that you take up the quest to find The Mysterious Island. 

Competition is Closed.

I will announce the winners (and their prizes) tomorrow afternoon after i find my glasses and some coffee :D

Dang!!  And here it is still June for another 3 hours, 16 minutes....  :(  (I so would've won, too!  ;))
I don't see why you didn't just post your story anyway.  The rules didn't state a time zone.

Sandy
Very entertaining! Nicely done, everyone.

And, good luck!

-B

Well i had some major problems judginf this one....

1st Place - Nicramia
2nd place - SandyT
3rd place - Habakkuk

Prizes are as follows (i decided to change the prizes a little):

Nicramia:
 Diamond shovel + item of choice + 25 mill silvers

SandyT:
 Diamond Shovel + item of choice

Habakkus:
 Diamond Shovel 

To make life easier for me, please the character name and item you wish the prize to be awarded to. The prizes themselves will be placed inside your home and will remain there until you next enter the home.

Note: You are immune to robbers from the moment the item is placed in the house until the moment you next go there so you do not have to worry about anyone stealing it :D

Cool contest, creative entries and good change in prizes.  

JCD

grats to all the winners
can we now know what the criterias were?and with what did those 3 stand out?
First Criteria
: Create a Story

Unfortunately subprime wrote a song instead (oopsy)

Second Criteria
: 
Was the story capable of being removed from the larkinor environment entirely without losing meaning. (This was done by my son, and judged on the number of times i was asked "what is X")

Third Criteria
:
Did it make my Wife laugh :D (funnily enough, this part was judged by....my wife :p)

Fourth Criteria

Was the story actually liked. (this was judged by me, based on the responses of myself, my wife, and the reactions of my children when i read the story to them).

Of all the entries the ones from Sandy and Nicram were by far the best. They both provided a stand-alone story that did not require knowledge of larkinor to make it work. 

Sandy provided the most interesting ending due to the fact that it left it to your imagination to actually complete the story. (my children have a very active imagination and it took one of them 20 minutes to "complete" his story)

Nicram's story was completely self contained, but with a very clear humourous theme throughout and i especially liked his use of tongue twisters, even though they did cause me some problems reading it to the kids lol)

Habbak took 3rd place with his entry because of his subject choice (and was my personal favourite). His entry provided a very nice "flashback theme" based on a quest inside the game, that still made perfect sense when removed entirely from the game environment.

Nooooooo! If I had known that Diamond Shovels would be for everyone, I would've spent days working on it. :(

Any chance you might be in the mood for holding another one in the future? :)
Really need an edit button...

Well, congratulations. You worked hard!
Congratulations to the winners.

My entry was not, in fact, a song.  It was an epic poem, loosely in the style of Kipling, something I erroneously considered to be within the definition of "story".  I suppose compared to the other entries, one might have to consider it non-fiction, Larkinor style.
Thank you V.Things are more clear now i guess
Though Subprime i did like your "song" best ;)
> SandyT: Diamond Shovel + item of choice

Whoo hoo!  Diamond shovels!  Congrats to Nic and Habakkus.  Thanks for the opportunity to compete, for your time in judging the stories and for the increase in the prizes, V!

The diamond shovel definitely goes to Prospector.

As for the "item of choice", I asked myself the question "What do you get for a guy who has everything?"  The wording in your post above makes it seem like the item of choice can go to any character, not just the highest on the account.  Taking this into account, award me the first one you can from the following list:

- an imp's mushroom for Callum
- a level 100 magmahammer for Callum
- a diamond shovel for Prospector Jr
- a pair of magnetosteel antigrav boots for Prospector
- a life essence for Callum
- the level 99 giga weapon for Callum

Forgive me for trying to make the best of this... but did you really expect anything less from me?!

Sandy

Well done everyone. :)

A big thanks to Veriac for posting the competition and his family for judging it.

And lastly congrats to the winners.

~Tourist
Sadly enough, I had decided not to post with my digger account because the probability that I would get first place was so low.  The diamond shovel is entirely useless on this account.

If possible could you give it to my digger Rhiannon Fae on the account drwho8, or just give the original 5 million silver prize to Morgendaemmerung on this account.

Thanks.
just had to be moving over the competition :(
didn't get a story done beforehand, because i was busy packing every evening with my wife.  didn't get internet set up at the new place til tonight... bah humbug.  didn't even get to make a run for a diamond shovel.  oh well, maybe next year, or whenever else something fun like this happens again.  i probably wouldn't have beaten any of those three, as i'm not all that creative, but there's always the chance.
as for sandy... you really have to try and get the best thing you can, don't you?  good luck with one of the first three or four on your list!
--jason
Sandy, what is the Life-essence for? It has to be something very good being your #4 of wanted items. :-)
Thank you V very much for organizing this competition, it was fun to participate, and fun to read the other stories too, and I'm glad to hear I wasn't the only one enjoying this whole thing.:) We should certainly do this more often lol.:) Congratulations not just only to the winners, but to everyone who took their time and effort to create something nice for us all.:)

As for myself, I would like to request the diamond shovel and the 25.000.000 gold for Minas Morgul.:)

As for the items, I was thinking similarly to Sandy with a slight modification... 

1. The biggest dream here is a volebubble, for Minas Morgul.
2. A diamond shovel, for Minas Tirith(also on this account);
3. Antigrav boots, for Minas Morgul;
4. Diamond Shovel #2 for Minas Morgul, lol to be able to perform the extra-special double-spade-war-technique:D

Once again, congratulations to all, and thanky you V for this brilliant initiative!:D

~Nic
All the Prizes have now been Awarded (hopefully).

You should receive the following in your homes:

Callum: lvl Diamond Shovel + 100 MagmaHammer
Minas Morgul: Diamond Shovel + 1x Volebubble
Rhiannon Fae: Diamond Shovel

If you have received items that are different, please let me know asap.
Nicram, what is the volebubble for? Is that a weapon, armour or does it make something special? Sandy's larkiguide doesn't say too much about it, so I believe it is your larkisponsibility to update the item description. :-)
Okay, Prospector has his shovel (expect some posts in the Digger Study thread soon), and Callum has his magmahammer.  Thanks again, V.

I am surprised to have been awarded the level 100 weapon.  Seeing that I had it, I then immediately got my hopes up that since the item exists, not only would it be buildable by others, but that ALL level 100 kit would be.  (I'm sure V noticed the dig about Callum wearing worn out boots in my story!)  This is not the case.  It still can't be built (at least not according to the recipe on LarkinorGuide, which was copied from the HU site), nor can the level 100 armour, helm, or ranged.

I spent 700-800 clicks in the pub fishing for recipes, and while I found a whole bunch of things which were wrong on LarkinorGuide, I only got one level 99 item, and no level 100 items.  Is the pub usually like that?  It's it totally random?  I thought it was supposed to be weighted towards your level.  If so, this certainly isn't the case for level 100.  

Misko, the life essence is an item that may be useful if/when clans are added to the game.  See [url=
http://forum.flyordie.com/thread.jsp?forum=13&thread=17682&start=15&msRange=15
]here
/url] and [url=
http://forum.flyordie.com/thread.jsp?forum=13&thread=23137&message=366495&q=6c69666520657373656e6365#366495
]here
/url].  It requires an imp's mushroom as an ingredient, so I wasn't expecting to be awarded one.  Asking for it was a total gamble on my part since it is presently totally useless and may remain so indefinitely.

I have no idea what a volebubble is... could it be the digging machine that was rumoured way back when?  I presume Nic knows about it because of his experience in HU.  Fill us in, Nic!

Sandy

>I thought it was supposed to be weighted towards your level. If so, this certainly isn't the case for level 100

i seem to recall buying the bartender a few hundred drinks myself, back in the 60's or 70's (levels, not decades), when some items seemed apparently to be missing on larkiguide... such as ballasts or wizardkillers or the like.  it was a while ago, so my memory could be wrong, but i think it did provide with the occasional recipe a few lvl's above you (4 if i recall).  but even if i am wrong with that, it was by no means 'weighted' to your level.  i spent way too much time wasting clicks there, trying to get recipes i really didn't need (and that would show up eventually, due to more translation from the hung site or something), because there was so much useless information i got there, both ramblings, and recipes for all levels below me.

--jason
Thank you V!:) The volebubble has been withdrewed and successfully equipped...however, I couldn't find the diamond shovel anywhere... Could you please check what went wrong?:)

The volebubble is indeed that item->silver transformator.:) However, it is not fully operational yet.:)
By all means submit the item details to LarkiGuide!

:)
Nicram, when updating larkiguide, don't forget to fill in the "Other notes" field. :-)
sorry about the delay nicramia. I will issue the super duper smelly shovel this weekend that you are missing

Sorry for flooding... I just returned home from a few day's of vacation, and checked in to see if I could test that diamond shovel. V, could I please ask again for it?:) Thank you in advance.:)

Nic
I checked the log for this....the item WAS issued. Are you sure you did not get it ??

I'm absolutely positive, V.:( On the very day I checked it, I reported it "not to be found". This could have been the result of me being away on holiday for most of the first two weeks of July, though I doubt a robber could have taken it - especially if there was the protection-function of me not entering the house. I have no clue what happened. I know one thing though: Apart from logging in and entering (or leaving) my house checking for the diamond shovel, I made no other actions with Morgul, and hardly any steps with the other chars as well. 
Is there any chance that I may still recieve it or should I just forget about it?
you will get it....just as soon i find the right item ID to issue again lol

Minas Morgul should now have his shovel...again :p

You put a diamond shovel into your backpack.

Thank you V!:) This time it's safe and secure.:) I haven't a clue where it disappeared to earlier, but at least it's safe and sound this time.:) Thank you again for your troubles!:)