Forums » The Larkinor Quest
Intelligent Monster Population Plan
Replies: 47   Pages: 4   Most recent reply posted by: ezekial (Mar 4, 2013 3:26 AM)
Welcome, Guest
Login
Guest Settings
 Reply to this Topic  Post New Topic  Search Forum

Back to Topic List

Replies: 47   Pages: 4   [ Go: 1 2 3 4 » ]
ezekial

Intelligent Monster Population Plan Posted: Dec 3, 2011 10:36 AM
Since time immemorial (or since we discovered we could strategically populate monsters on TA), people have been making "preserved" squares for monsters that drop hard-to-obtain items. I propose a "preserved" island. TA is our island and we better get the most out of it as we can.

The Intelligent Monster Population Plan (IMPoP) has a few steps, and everyone in the larkinor community is welcome to participate!

Step 1: As a community, we compile a list of the monsters we would most like to see on TA, ones with rare drops or high hp monsters for skill lvls - whatever you'd like to see.

Step 2: We take the list and rank it, determining where to place each monster, putting more valuable monsters on squares closer to the south city. At this stage, depending on how many monsters we have, we might decide to let the invaders move south and clear a few currently populated squares.

Step 3: We populate the monsters on their assigned squares.

Step 4: We patrol our "preserved" island and keep the invaders away from our monsters, while reaping the benefits of our plan.

Let's open this thread up to monster suggestions. We'll try a week to give people a chance to put in their monsters and then move on to step 2.

zmr08

Re: Intelligent Monster Population Plan Posted: Dec 3, 2011 11:00 AM
Thanks ezekial for opening this topic.

800 years old vampire (level 30 monster) VAMPIRIC HERB

bastiongolem (level 36 monster) (BREATING CORNERSTONE)

zmr08

Re: Intelligent Monster Population Plan Posted: Dec 3, 2011 11:07 AM
alien civilisation's delegate (level 36 monsters) ALIEN GADGET

alien civilisation's spokesman (level 37 monster) ALIEN CONTRAPTION

TylerUK

Re: Intelligent Monster Population Plan Posted: Dec 3, 2011 6:04 PM
Larkinorian Imagebox (Level 45; Picture Tube) http://larkinorguide.com/cgi-bin/monster.cgi?act=one&mid=336

Cubulus (Level 51; Cube) http://larkinorguide.com/cgi-bin/monster.cgi?act=one&mid=385

Zeppirate (Level 60; Magic/Dexterity Leveling) http://larkinorguide.com/cgi-bin/monster.cgi?act=one&mid=459

Titan (Level 40; Dragongrass) http://larkinorguide.com/cgi-bin/monster.cgi?act=one&mid=299

Magosaur (Level 43; wizardrobe, for money-making) http://larkinorguide.com/cgi-bin/monster.cgi?act=one&mid=321

That's all I'm aware of, for now. Players higher than I am (57) or have ideas I missed are free to post theirs!

EasyGoing

Re: Intelligent Monster Population Plan Posted: Dec 4, 2011 1:21 AM
Cubulus and imagebox seem to be the candidates for the top of the list. There are zilch cubes on both markets and picture tubes go at the very steep price for most levels when they're needed. So I'll start shipping cubuluses to 10593 if there are no objections.

We already have the squares for harvesting corenerstones, herbs and alien stuff.
A centaur shamen instead of a titan perhaps, the latter tends to overload your backpack too quickly?
Why not provide the magosaur with the royal company - the rex.
I would personally like to see a baby phoenix and stinkgland monsters too.

ezekial

Re: Intelligent Monster Population Plan Posted: Dec 4, 2011 2:39 AM
EG, I wouldn't start populating cubulus unless you've got nothing better to do. We started this thread because there was a suggestion about keeping the aliens/vampires separate (even giving the aliens their own squares possibly), so depending on the input of the rest of the community, we might want to let the invaders clear that square and start over. Also, I would rather have 10591 for cubulus or something equally rare, as re-populating vampires/aliens isn't as difficult a task (considering my digger lives permanently in vampire vacation).

I agree that I'd much rather have the centaur shaman (lvl 38) than the titan (lvl 40) for dragongrass because of the weight of that ruby wizardkiller, but also because it would allow lower lvl players to start collecting grass a couple lvls earlier. (And again, I seem to have a couple chars on the centaur's book, so I'll leave them there until we get this figured out, in case we need help populating the shaman).

Higher lvl monsters that I'd like are the dimension carver (lvl 68, dimension sliver), and the dungavatar (lvl 97, hydragen-carbids). Though as there are few players who could defeat the avatar, he's not as high on my list as some of the other monsters mentioned here.

Possibly the old granitedragon (lvl 39, dragon horn).

EasyGoing

Re: Intelligent Monster Population Plan Posted: Dec 4, 2011 6:28 AM
ezekial,
Certainly, I have plenty of other things to do, to say the least. I was thinking cubulus on 10593 because it's void, in the city (fairly protected) and it would be for harvesting one of the rarest items. But I can wait.

Yes, ideally if the invaders clear the entire forest plus some city blocks, then we could populate tricky monsters in the city and aliens, vampires etc. in the more volatile areas. So let's make one thing clear: are you actually asking people to stop splatting? I thought I'd never see the day, even if it's for the higher cause

ezekial

Re: Intelligent Monster Population Plan Posted: Dec 4, 2011 6:55 AM
Well, I'm not asking them that yet, but I'm considering a "just-splat-north-to-the-target" campaign if we want to clear a few squares of monsters. Of course, we'll have to keep an eye on things so the invaders don't get too far into the city, and periodically clear the north so we don't end up with 1000 invaders all at once...

Monster encounter rates in the city are lower than in the forest, so there's that to consider as well. I'm not even sure if we can stop monstalogists from populating unwanted monsters. I certainly don't like monstalogy, but I like having an easy way to gather ingredients and think it's far more beneficial to preserve the island for special monsters than for monstalogists to get their next badge, but nyin might beg to differ

EasyGoing

Re: Intelligent Monster Population Plan Posted: Dec 4, 2011 8:05 AM
A lateral thought since it's been brought up: I find harvesting with chars that have luck=1 too click costly, forest or no forest, not to mention the no-fun factor. Too few target monsters pop up even with god rank. On the other hand, my fighter/diggers with luck in the area 60-70 are almost guaranteed to meet an opponent at once when on god, again forest or no forest. So they end up doing all the work.
Anyone with a different experience?

Misko

Re: Intelligent Monster Population Plan Posted: Dec 5, 2011 3:05 PM
My experience is, that when I'm on Shy level with Luck=1 guy, i encounter the monster on the first click, second at worst. Switch to God and it goes to even every 10th click. That means if you're on Shy (i.e. don't want to meet monster), with 1 Luck, then you meet it (bad luck).

ezekial

Re: Intelligent Monster Population Plan Posted: Dec 9, 2011 3:17 AM
So, just thought I'd throw out an update (plus a couple additions) of the monsters people seem to want. I wouldn't mind keeping the turncoat around, but it would be nice to reserve that square or the one north of it for diggers (yes, they can dig by the frontlines, but that's a lot of wasted clicks to get to a store/market).

If there are any more monsters people would like to see, be sure to post them so we can figure out the best locations for all these guys.

800 years old vampire (level 30)
pukipu (lvl 34)
bastiongolem (level 36)
alien civilisation's delegate (level 36)
alien civilisation's spokesman (level 37)
centaur shaman (lvl 38)
old granitedragon (lvl 39)
magosaur (Level 43)
larkinorian imagebox (Level 45
cubulus (Level 51)
baby phoenix (lvl 54)
waste disposal unit (58)
zeppirate (Level 60)
inexperienced chronomage (lvl 64)
dimension carver (lvl 68)
dungavatar (lvl 97)

ezekial

Re: Intelligent Monster Population Plan Posted: Dec 11, 2011 12:22 PM
For reference, southern forest squares:

10485 10486 10487
10520 10521 10522 10523
10555 10556 10557 10558
. . . . . 10591 10592 10593

where 10592 is fortress/pub, and 10593 is teleport.

Monster proposals (feel free to discuss/suggest changes):
10485: magosaur (43)
10486: bastiongolem (36)
10487: 800 years old vampire (30)
10520: inexperienced chronomage (64)
10521: imagebox (45)
10522: alien delegate (36) and(?) alien spokesman (37)
10523: digger's paradise or dungavatar (97)
10555: dimension carver (68)
10556: baby phoenix (54)
10557: centaur shaman (38)
10558: turncoat(?) or digger's paradise
10591: cubulus (51)
10592: old granitedragon (39)
10593: vampires(?) or waste disposal unit (58)

Currently we have:
10591: alien delegate, alien spokesman, 800 year old vampire
10593: 800 year old vampire, vampire lord
10556: shurikencells
10557: bastiongolem, towergolem
10558: turncoat

...which means we'd have to let the invaders clear a few squares, or push our populating north into the mountains. I know I didn't get all the monsters on here, so if there was something you desperately wanted, suggest a square for it. Once we have an agreement on what squares are reserved for which monsters, we can start populating them. Exciting!

EasyGoing

Re: Intelligent Monster Population Plan Posted: Dec 16, 2011 11:15 PM
All the monsters in the forest are extinct! That is, except the turncoat on 10558.
Vampires are also still on 10593 - the invaders have not reached the streets it seems.

I concentrated splatting on the northern side of the island these days, but as I write this someone is clearing the approaches to the town. So are we going to settle with the situation as it is or wait till further 2-3 squares are chipped? I could start with cubulus on 10592 unless someone has a different idea..

ezekial

Re: Intelligent Monster Population Plan Posted: Dec 17, 2011 1:30 AM
Yeah, I've been kind of hoping to get those vampires cleared, but at least one of our few active splatters apparently don't read the forums or come into chat and those southern invaders keep disappearing.

I was also hoping for more input on the plan. Do people like (or even care about) the placement of monsters that I suggested?

Though, I'm getting kind of impatient too, and would like to start populating monsters. Keeping the turncoat instead of the dungavatar isn't that big of a loss (though we could potentially put them on the same square).

With the vampires on the teleport, I'd suggest the following changes to my plan:
10485: waste disposal unit (58) - instead of magosaur (43)
10486: magosaur (43) - instead of bastiongolem (36)
10487: bastiongolem (36) - instead of 800 years old vampire (30)

Unless someone posts otherwise or comes and talks to me in chat about this, I'm going to assume my proposed placement of monsters is acceptable to the community. I'll help out with monster populations where I can starting tomorrow.

ezekial

Re: Intelligent Monster Population Plan Posted: Dec 17, 2011 1:35 AM
Oh, sorry, eg, I didn't notice you were suggesting cubulus on 10592. I suggested 10591 for them, mainly because I was trying to be nice to low-level splatters by keeping the approach to the target square with the lower level monsters. Being chased by a lvl 51 monster when you're lvl 30 is more annoying than being chased by a lvl 38.

If you've already started, we can put the cubulus there, but if not, I think he's better suited to a square that is easier for our new splatters to avoid.

Replies: 47   Pages: 4   [ Go: 1 2 3 4 » ]

Back to Topic List      Top of the page