« Back to All Topics
Intelligent Monster Population Plan
Since time immemorial (or since we discovered we could strategically populate monsters on TA), people have been making "preserved" squares for monsters that drop hard-to-obtain items.  I propose a "preserved" island.  TA is our island and we better get the most out of it as we can.

The Intelligent Monster Population Plan (IMPoP) has a few steps, and everyone in the larkinor community is welcome to participate!

Step 1: As a community, we compile a list of the monsters we would most like to see on TA, ones with rare drops or high hp monsters for skill lvls - whatever you'd like to see.

Step 2: We take the list and rank it, determining where to place each monster, putting more valuable monsters on squares closer to the south city.  At this stage, depending on how many monsters we have, we might decide to let the invaders move south and clear a few currently populated squares.

Step 3: We populate the monsters on their assigned squares.

Step 4: We patrol our "preserved" island and keep the invaders away from our monsters, while reaping the benefits of our plan.

Let's open this thread up to monster suggestions.  We'll try a week to give people a chance to put in their monsters and then move on to step 2.
Thanks ezekial for opening this topic.

800 years old vampire (level 30 monster) VAMPIRIC HERB

bastiongolem (level 36 monster) (BREATING CORNERSTONE)
alien civilisation's delegate (level 36 monsters) ALIEN GADGET

alien civilisation's spokesman (level 37 monster) ALIEN CONTRAPTION
Larkinorian Imagebox (Level 45; Picture Tube) 
http://larkinorguide.com/cgi-bin/monster.cgi?act=one&mid=336

Cubulus (Level 51; Cube) 
http://larkinorguide.com/cgi-bin/monster.cgi?act=one&mid=385

Zeppirate (Level 60; Magic/Dexterity Leveling) 
http://larkinorguide.com/cgi-bin/monster.cgi?act=one&mid=459

Titan (Level 40; Dragongrass) 
http://larkinorguide.com/cgi-bin/monster.cgi?act=one&mid=299

Magosaur (Level 43; wizardrobe, for money-making) 
http://larkinorguide.com/cgi-bin/monster.cgi?act=one&mid=321

That's all I'm aware of, for now. Players higher than I am (57) or have ideas I missed are free to post theirs!
Cubulus and imagebox seem to be the candidates for the top of the list. There are zilch cubes on both markets and picture tubes go at the very steep price for most levels when they're needed. So I'll start shipping cubuluses to 10593 if there are no objections.

We already have the squares for harvesting corenerstones, herbs and alien stuff.
A centaur shamen instead of a titan perhaps, the latter tends to overload your backpack too quickly?
Why not provide the magosaur with the royal company - the rex.
I would personally like to see a baby phoenix and stinkgland monsters too.
EG, I wouldn't start populating cubulus unless you've got nothing better to do.  We started this thread because there was a suggestion about keeping the aliens/vampires separate (even giving the aliens their own squares possibly), so depending on the input of the rest of the community, we might want to let the invaders clear that square and start over.  Also, I would rather have 10591 for cubulus or something equally rare, as re-populating vampires/aliens isn't as difficult a task (considering my digger lives permanently in vampire vacation).

I agree that I'd much rather have the centaur shaman (lvl 38) than the titan (lvl 40) for dragongrass because of the weight of that ruby wizardkiller, but also because it would allow lower lvl players to start collecting grass a couple lvls earlier.  (And again, I seem to have a couple chars on the centaur's book, so I'll leave them there until we get this figured out, in case we need help populating the shaman).

Higher lvl monsters that I'd like are the 
dimension carver
 (lvl 68, dimension sliver), and the 
dungavatar
 (lvl 97, hydragen-carbids).  Though as there are few players who could defeat the avatar, he's not as high on my list as some of the other monsters mentioned here.

Possibly the 
old granitedragon
 (lvl 39, dragon horn).
ezekial,
Certainly, I have plenty of other things to do, to say the least. I was thinking cubulus on 10593 because it's void, in the city (fairly protected) and it would be for harvesting one of the rarest items. But I can wait.

Yes, ideally if the invaders clear the entire forest plus some city blocks, then we could populate tricky monsters in the city and aliens, vampires etc. in the more volatile areas. So let's make one thing clear: are you actually asking people to 
stop
 splatting? I thought I'd never see the day, even if it's for the higher cause :D
Well, I'm not asking them that yet, but I'm considering a "just-splat-north-to-the-target" campaign if we want to clear a few squares of monsters.  Of course, we'll have to keep an eye on things so the invaders don't get too far into the city, and periodically clear the north so we don't end up with 1000 invaders all at once...

Monster encounter rates in the city are lower than in the forest, so there's that to consider as well.  I'm not even sure if we can stop monstalogists from populating unwanted monsters.  I certainly don't like monstalogy, but I like having an easy way to gather ingredients and think it's far more beneficial to preserve the island for special monsters than for monstalogists to get their next badge, but nyin might beg to differ :p
A lateral thought since it's been brought up: I find harvesting with chars that have luck=1 too click costly, forest or no forest, not to mention the no-fun factor. Too few target monsters pop up even with god rank. On the other hand, my fighter/diggers with luck in the area 60-70 are almost guaranteed to meet an opponent at once when on god, again forest or no forest. So they end up doing all the work.
Anyone with a different experience?
My experience is, that when I'm on Shy level with Luck=1 guy, i encounter the monster on the first click, second at worst. Switch to God and it goes to even every 10th click. That means if you're on Shy (i.e. don't want to meet monster), with 1 Luck, then you meet it (bad luck). :-)
So, just thought I'd throw out an update (plus a couple additions) of the monsters people seem to want.  I wouldn't mind keeping the turncoat around, but it would be nice to reserve that square or the one north of it for diggers (yes, they can dig by the frontlines, but that's a lot of wasted clicks to get to a store/market).

If there are any more monsters people would like to see, be sure to post them so we can figure out the best locations for all these guys.

800 years old vampire (level 30)
pukipu (lvl 34)
bastiongolem (level 36) 
alien civilisation's delegate (level 36) 
alien civilisation's spokesman (level 37) 
centaur shaman (lvl 38)
old granitedragon (lvl 39)
magosaur (Level 43)
larkinorian imagebox (Level 45
cubulus (Level 51)
baby phoenix (lvl 54)
waste disposal unit (58)
zeppirate (Level 60)
inexperienced chronomage (lvl 64)
dimension carver (lvl 68)
dungavatar (lvl 97)

For reference, southern forest squares:

10485  10486  10487
10520  10521  10522  10523
10555  10556  10557  10558
. . . . . 10591  10592  10593

where 10592 is fortress/pub, and 10593 is teleport.

Monster proposals (feel free to discuss/suggest changes):
10485: magosaur (43)
10486: bastiongolem (36)
10487: 800 years old vampire (30)
10520: inexperienced chronomage (64)
10521: imagebox (45)
10522: alien delegate (36) and(?) alien spokesman (37)
10523: digger's paradise or dungavatar (97)
10555: dimension carver (68)
10556: baby phoenix (54)
10557: centaur shaman (38)
10558: turncoat(?) or digger's paradise
10591: cubulus (51)
10592: old granitedragon (39)
10593: vampires(?) or waste disposal unit (58)

Currently we have:
10591: alien delegate, alien spokesman, 800 year old vampire
10593: 800 year old vampire, vampire lord
10556: shurikencells
10557: bastiongolem, towergolem
10558: turncoat

...which means we'd have to let the invaders clear a few squares, or push our populating north into the mountains.  I know I didn't get all the monsters on here, so if there was something you desperately wanted, suggest a square for it.  Once we have an agreement on what squares are reserved for which monsters, we can start populating them.  Exciting!
All the monsters in the forest are extinct! That is, except the turncoat on 10558.
Vampires are also still on 10593 - the invaders have not reached the streets it seems.

I concentrated splatting on the northern side of the island these days, but as I write this someone is clearing the approaches to the town. So are we going to settle with the situation as it is or wait till further 2-3 squares are chipped? I could start with cubulus on 10592 unless someone has a different idea..
Yeah, I've been kind of hoping to get those vampires cleared, but at least one of our few active splatters apparently don't read the forums or come into chat and those southern invaders keep disappearing.

I was also hoping for more input on the plan.  Do people like (or even care about) the placement of monsters that I suggested?

Though, I'm getting kind of impatient too, and would like to start populating monsters.  Keeping the turncoat instead of the dungavatar isn't that big of a loss (though we could potentially put them on the same square).

With the vampires on the teleport, I'd suggest the following changes to my plan:
10485: waste disposal unit (58) - instead of magosaur (43)
10486: magosaur (43) - instead of bastiongolem (36)
10487: bastiongolem (36) - instead of 800 years old vampire (30)

Unless someone posts otherwise or comes and talks to me in chat about this, I'm going to assume my proposed placement of monsters is acceptable to the community.  I'll help out with monster populations where I can starting tomorrow.
Oh, sorry, eg, I didn't notice you were suggesting cubulus on 10592.  I suggested 10591 for them, mainly because I was trying to be nice to low-level splatters by keeping the approach to the target square with the lower level monsters.  Being chased by a lvl 51 monster when you're lvl 30 is more annoying than being chased by a lvl 38.

If you've already started, we can put the cubulus there, but if not, I think he's better suited to a square that is easier for our new splatters to avoid.
Ok, cubuluses (cubuli?!) go to 10591. The change I would like to suggest then is: aliens on 10592 instead of a granitedragon - alien goodies are arguably more needed than the horns (and even lower level).
Imageboxes are now populated on 10521.  Enjoy.
Baby phoenix is now populated on 10556.

I was also thinking we might like the harpy (if anyone has easy access to him).  Since it's the same level as the phoenix, they could share a square or we could put it in the mountains (10450?).

I would really like the cubulus, dimension carver, and chronomage populated, though I know they're kind of hard to spot.  If anyone's up to helping with monster populations, please do what you can.  I can get the magosaur, aliens, and centaur shaman from missions, but beyond that, it's going to be difficult.

Slowly putting our plan into effect...
Bugger; I stopped seeing harpies regularly a few levels back...

My level 34 mage will be balloon fighting to burn through these 40,000 clicks. I expect I'll get around level 40.
(Wow, that's not even a curse word! Filteeeeeers!)
I might get around to populating aliens soon, but before I do, just a quick question for the community (or the like 3 of us who actually care about this).

It's been suggested that we keep the fortress/pub clear of monsters for nail-thieving at least until invaders stop overrunning the landbridge and making it impossible for nail-thieving in the dark district.  So it would look something like this then:

10487: bastiongolem
10522: aliens
10557: centaur shaman
10592: clear

We could put the old granitedragon with the shaman, or just forget about him, or we could switch the aliens and shaman (though, aliens are far easier for me to repop than the shaman would be).

As a side note, 4 inexperienced chronomages have been shipped to 10520.
10487 : The 800 years old vampire has populated the area.

sorry ezekial, I read your message after populated. 
Cubulus populated on 10591. Phew.

Why populate vampires again, I thought 10593 was still operational?

Any spot still available for a hogtie band?
the yield at 105093 is low, its within the city limits

where can we populate bastigolem?
Both aliens are now on 10557.

I was going to use 10522 for centaur shamans (personally I'd rather have dragongrass than bcs), but if there are a lot of people who want bcs, we can put the bastiongolem there.  In either case, whichever we decide, we can move the second monster up to 10450.
Invaders apparently don't take new year's off.  Baby phoenix and imagebox are gone, but I saved the cubulus.
Dimension carvers have (finally) been populated on 10555.  Get 'em while they're hot.

As a side note, I've been focusing on hunting carvers and chronomages and haven't gotten around to populating the monsters we lost or some of the others I said I had access to.  If there's a monster on our list that anyone desperately wants populated (or a monster not on our list), just post here and I'll do what I can.
Imageboxes are once again populated on 10521.
Magosaur is now populated on 10485; apparently even I have issues following my own plan sometimes.
Our island currently looks something like this:

10485 magosaur . .  10486 . . . . . . . . 10487 800vamp
10520 i.chronomage 10521 imagebox 10522 . . . . . . . 10523 clear
10555 d.carver . . . . 10556 . . . . . . . . 10557 aliens . . 10558 turncoat
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10591 cubulus . . 10592 clear . . . 10593 vampires

So we have space on 10486, 10522, 10556.  I could get the phoenix again if anyone wants him or we could try for something else.  Suggestions?  Possibly bastiongolem on 10486, and centaur shaman on 10522.  
Invaders have no respect.  The magosaur has been gone for awhile and now we've lost the chronomage.  Seeing as I hate monstalogy and I have no dire need for hour-glass anymore, I probably won't be repopulating, which means we have lots of available squares for new suggestions.  What items do people need?
Where's the monster that drops updates? :p
Blood clots are getting expensive (I notice, after buying 20 at 100k each), might be worth considering populating chupacabra, if anyone's at a lvl where they see him frequently.  10556 (north of cubulus) or 10520 (north of dimensioncarver) are monster free.
Sphere 
 is temporally populated at square 10451.  This square is close the invasions, spheres may not stay long there, if anybody needs 
membraneplasms 
 must hurry. 
Some monsters have diappeared, someone has been populating some others and I added a couple today. Here's the freshly updated situation (don't know how long it'll take to show up on the forum):

[pre]
sea
            void           void           void           
daemonlarva
    void           
sea
[/pre]
[pre]
sea

sea

sea
            void           
bastiongolem

800yo vampire

sea

sea
[/pre]
[pre]                              
sea

magosaur

imagebox

centaur shamen
 void           
sea
[/pre]
[pre]                              
sea

dim. carver

hogtie band

aliens

turncoat

sea
[/pre]
[pre]                              
sea

sea

cubulus
        void           
vampires

sea
[/pre]
[pre]                                             
sea

sea

spoiled

spoiled

sea
[/pre]

The square no. 10523 (the one to the right of shamen and above the turncoat 
is the diggers' square and please leave it empty!

Anything above the area shown in this chart is void and below it is spoiled with various bunch of monsters.

Enjoy while it lasts, EG.
For anyone who cares, I put the dungavatar on 10523 (that's 2 north of the teleport).  Yay hcs!  He's pretty tough, so definitely avoid him with your diggers, and if you need hcs and can't beat him; let me know since I'm stockpiling them while I can.

Also, the old turncoat square is clear, and I'd prefer that as the digger's square for now, so try to avoid putting anything on it.  Shouldn't be too much of an issue since there's so much empty space now anyhow.
Are the civilisation scientists on the alien square to?
Alien civilisation's scientist does not give any alien what'sitsname on Thord Artin :(
Duhhh, i have been out of this game for too long :p my mistake sorry
The chupacabra
 (blood clot) has been repopulated at teleport square (10593)
Baby phoenix
 is populated 10485.
Hookmaster
 is populated 10555.
I put the turncoat north of the baby phoenix in the mountains.  I needed a high-hp monster for weapon skills, though if you have a low-lvl char, you might want to avoid walking across that square for awhile.
And the turncoat's gone.  Until the next time my lagging weapon skills demand his repopulation.
And the turncoat is back!  On 10485 this time, which is one south of where he was last time, or two north from the hookmaster.