« Back to All Topics
deevolution of tanx
Posted in 
Tanx
deevolution of tanx
Posted in 
Tanx
deevolution of tanx
Tanx has regressed, not improved (new worlds excepted). Armor is worthless, grenades have greatly reduced range, and running away is now the best survival stategy. I miss the bloody all-out firefights of the old game! An improvement to the game would involve better armor, faster tanks, faster firing and more powerful weapons, not the opposite, which is what we have now! Put the game back the way it was !
Mech Warrior, I have to agree, especially about the armor. I think the tank I use has plastic armor. I mean you go into a game and BAM your gone. It would be nice if the tank would take a couple of hits. I was excited when the new game arrived but now I realize it's just not the same as it use to be. It just doesn't seem like I'm competing in a game. You get hit once or twice and your dead and then re-animate and keep doing that over and over again. You should be able to go into a game and take some hits and try to survive while taking out a tank or two. Why even play, I mean the thing re-animates automatically anyway. I too miss the old fire fights.Use to be alot of people in the rooms, remember? You would open up the game and see maybe 60 players going at it, a couple of jumpers but no big deal, there were always a few jumper chasers. Back when I started playing I didn't even know what banking was. Now it's the new way to be a top player. I subscribe and support Flyordie but I want to play Tanx the way it should be played.Thanx and Happy Holidays to all.
Eh.. back again with a page of writing in response to Mech, and repeating some stuff I've already said (I think it applies...)

*nods* Yep... game's a shadow of its former self. Where once jumpers and exploitatively-minded tankers were strikingly rare, now it's the only way to get points. The point system is still flawed by its abuse by almost every player with a rank, and the exploiters are rewarded.

However, I disagree on the reasons why this has happened. The maneuverability and rate of fire of our tanks HAVE both been improved on by FOD in the new Tanx, making it far easier to kill other tanks. In the old Tanx maneuvering and aiming one's tank was an art form of timing and intuition... now almost anyone can play like Mech Warrior (or other tank aces) did in his day, and the only challenge is how to sneak yourself a kill without giving others a like opportunity. As demonstrated by tankers like taliban_forces, the best way to do this is to move from game to game just in time to grab a powerup advantage, use it quickly, then leave.

Perhaps the delayed response times actually contributed to make the game's challenge more intelligent? Perhaps a lot of good, challenging, and honest players left when the new Tanx effectively made all non-subscribers privates?

I don't know, and I don't think there's anything we can really do to change these things.

These are the things that seem, to me, easy to change:

-Make it harder to make a kill. Increasing armor would work, I think... so would either reducing the range of weapons, or slowing the speed of the tanks.

-Provide for tanks that want to fight on even terms. This means the opportunity to have no powerups. This means passworded operations... this would probably need another, perhaps smaller, room for this (it's not as if all the bonus rooms are getting much use... while I'm sure -from posts on these forums, and conversations in-chat- if this were available for subscribers, it'd be used a lot) and in doing so FOD would let us customize conditions of the room, conditions like what items are around to pick up, what kind of terrain (field, snow, desert, or martian), the number, and kind, of players, and whatever else comes to mind.

-Program solutions to make it more convenient for tankers not to move to another operation so quickly, and so IDs owned by the same IPs can't enter an operation together (Banking invalidates points), or so there's a limit of how many points can be lost in an operation... whatever stops banking. 

Supposedly ranked tankers can loose points from non-subscribed players... but I don't see it happening very often, while it should be happening all the time. Also, there may be a penalty of points taken from jumpers when they leave an operation when wounded... I wouldn't know, because it doesn't seem to be having any effect at all. Jumping needs to have effective penalties... MPs aren't enough; jumping needs to be made clearly not worthwhile.

These are just some ideas... I don't know about how practical they are to implement, but I'm sure they aren't all that hard, especially considering that Tanx is dying. Something's gotta be done.

I'm not sure all tankers are behind me on them... what do you other tankers think?

Good gaming,
~HoundFromH~
[img=
http://www.imgmag.org/images/houndfromhell/HFH.bmp
]

PS: Two weeks, and I'll be able to subscribe.
RE: Grenades........when you are loading them, raise your cursor to the top of the screen....then let it fly...the darn things sail into the wide blue.....if you keep cursor low they don't go as far.....don't believe the old ones acted this way(didnt use em much because it took too long to load them on my slow little  HP)   it seems to be an improvement to me......Also, immediately after the upgrade this game was fast......dint have to play on lo res (no freezing, and rapid response when shooting) ... that was great...

tanx is better 
faster firing brings more shots, so if
you happen to get hit right when a missle
or granade is leaving your tank BOOM your 
dead, thats why your tank seems to be made
of plastic
with the abscence of the adds there is WAY 
less lag and freeze ups
jumers will always be here but at least they 
dont stick around long and they bring an added
challenge to the game
I liked the game better when there was no rankings
at all but now i am hooked on them                     the new kill/life meeter is the true test of the
best players

tomb raider
They should put 
more
 worlds.... Well, for my Bionicle Toa team, some of the new worlds seem like the homes to the Matorans (villagers) that live in Mata Nui..
For Pohatu's home town, it is like Desert (Po-Koro is a Desert place) and as for Tahu, well, he has Mars at his hands (or maybe Onua with Onu-Koro will do..) because of the bright colour like fire. Not asking to have this, but is there new worlds like for underground Tanks? Or even the Jungle? Snow is like Ko-Koro. And there could be a beach world where you fight and battle on a beach (for Gali) and go into water and sink...lmao....
But I'm just saying, I gave some more ideas of worlds, and the new worlds puts less lag, and now we get free subscription right now until Dec. 27 12:00Z. No paying money.. And your chance of hitting some is less risky and more approval! You shoot faster from the moment of command, and the gernade...well....that's my weakness now..

Pohatu Nuva, Toa of stone
Toa team leader ['_']
I'd like to say the tanx do not need to go any slower to make the game better even when you dont have the accerlerator your going one cm a minute. If anything make the tanx go faster to escape your enemys.

i aggree but this subscription is also driving many people away i really think this buisness is in a downward spiral. Before there used to be 60-70 people in each room now theres only like 20-30 in rooms, and this mars and other crap is messed up to. put all the classic back if your not gonna let non subscribers in.some people just cant subscribe this used to be a fun site now its bull if you agree email is tommc56@aol.com
  p.s. please change the site back

I think it is unfair to all of us members that have been with the site for years and have to pay whats up with that?
Yep... topic of conversation right now, it seems... so...
*BUMP*

Cheers,
[img=
http://www.imgmag.org/images/houndfromhell/HFH.bmp
]
~HoundFromHell~
[There are some real problems with the current version of tanx that I think many have accurately addressed here][.]

[1][Too easy to die]

[One of the biggest problems with tanx now, is that when there is a large fire fight, playing time is reduced to a matter of seconds[.]

[This means that the joy, of shooting at everyone around you is gone][.]  [Most of the time, if you're lagged, as it seems a good majority are lately[.]  [Then you have effectively already been shot twice before your tank can even begin to move from your command[.]

[2][Firing is a problem]

[I agree with the person who mentioned the art and skill it took to shoot in the old game[.] [There was something quite nice about having to wait on your enemy to cross the path that you knew you fired your bullet on][.]

[Grenades seem to have a much reduced radius of fire now][.]  I remember when you could turn the barrel 180 behind the direction your tank was moving, and fire behind you][.]  It also seems much harder to shoot a longer distance, which usually ends up in the player shooting themselves on a mountain side][.]

[Firing in general is strangled by the lag time][.] [But the biggest problem is that shots are no longer buffered][.]  [The case used to be that you could effectively plan two shots on an enemy tank changing up slow and fast weapons][.]  [Now, the second shot usually doesn't register and the first usually only fires when the second one should have][.]

[3][Lag Lag and More Lag]

[Effectively, there is a very unfair balance of late with the tanx game][.] [When a user with a high lag time is against say, two other users who have a moderate to low lag, then they are usually only able to shoot maybe one shot compared to the three someone else shoots into them][.]

[This is compounded by the fact that when you fire, it usually takes much longer than it used to, for the shot to actually take place.]

[4][The other levels, Mars etc][.][.][.]

[You have way too many hills on those landscapes][.] [What happens when a user is driving over the landscape is usually that their field of view is bounced around so much, it's [a] hard to actually fire a shot straight 
 hard to manuever the tank because all you're seeing is sky when you drive][.]  [Either add in a gyro or give up on the game][.]

[There are many more problems, but they can be grouped togther into inconveniences][:]  

[a] powerups return too quickly, and are too available] 

mines last too long, and clutter the battlefiend] 

[c] if you're a subscriber, then it's possible to resize the window which can screw up gameplay ]

[d] if you're using the ad-based system, if an add reloads while you're typing, the window gives focus to the add, and if you're in the process of backspacing - internet explorer issues a "back" command and you lose your place in the game]

[e] rankings are stupid, and only benefit your younger audience.. make the games more robust before you worry about rankings]
Hi everyone..  the following message is a re-posting of one I did to another friend here at TANX.
however... I think it applies in this thread as well.. food for thought..  cheers,  GR

HiYa Mike,
I trust you had an enjoyable holiday season... I suspect the folks at FlyOrDie are watching these forums... I'm sure they are actually.... as far as replying.. I think its a time available issue really.. the FlyOrDie team really packed a lot of activity into a very short time.. with the new TANX version, and 4 down loadable versions of the games ( 8 ball, 9 ball, Snooker and Boulder Dash ) it's amazing they got it all done so fast.. and it's a continuing process.. eg: adding new features such as the "do not disturb" and "BRB" features to Billiards and Tanx, I have also been told the down loadable version of TANX is in development.. to be launched soon, so keep an eye open for that..
this is why I am such a loyal subscriber... because it really is a labor of love for the ppl at FlyOrDie.. they love their work and it shows.. 

ĞĤŌSŢ ŖIDЄŖ ωG
TANX MP