« Back to All Topics
Using 10 minute time limit to win what should be an obvious draw.
Posted in 
Checkers
Posted in 
Checkers
Near the end of a game when it should be a draw (such as a three on three with King moving back and forth in the double corner and the other two pieces located on each side of the board), the player with more time remaining still wins by forcing the player to run out of time.

In that case, no matter how little time it takes to move, the player with less time will lose. Also, the 50 move pair limit could be extended to about 200 or more moves simply by blocking my king in the double corner and forcing me to king another piece for another 50 moves.  Then swaping the kinged piece and the forcing my other piece to the king row for another 100 moves. Then possibly swaping one of the remaining 2 kings for another 50 moves, with only king vs. king remaining.

With 2 seconds per move that would take at least 6 minutes. Even king vs. king might take over 2 minutes for the 50 moves if the player with less time pauses just a little with each move. Even if I only take 2 seconds per move, that almost 200 plus moves would take six minutes.

Unless that is the intent of the owner(s), to avoid such strategy to win games that should be a draw, I suggest a 3 second delay before the clock starts (or after 40 moves). Since the average number of moves in a checker is 35 moves that would typically deduct less than 2 minutes per game and none if the the delay if only after 40 moves.