« Back to All Topics
Questions for American people..
Posted in 
Off-topic
Posted in 
Off-topic
Whilst on holiday in the rather splendid isles of Hawaii, I realised there were a few things that bugged me. Nothing serious, but I was wondering if anyone could answer the following questions.

1) I noticed a lot of 
Cinquo Di Mayo
 adverts when I was out there. Has the US 
always
 celebrated the 5th of May? Or is it just to get at the French?

2) Why do the majority of American cars have automatic transmission?

3) Will someone explain how the 
NFL Draft
 works to me? Please?

I'll probably think of some others later on today. These will do for starters though...
cinco de mayo is a hispanic backrounded Holiday, i dont know what it has to do with the French but i do believe it has always been celebrated, the NFL draft i can tell u nothin about cuz i have no idea and the automatic transmissions i would say is becuase not many know hot to drive stick and usually standard transmission are foreign cars, hope this helped any
Well to be brutally honest, not really. In fact not at all.

Next!

P.S. Bad bad bad Mr Bishi. It should be 
Cinco
 Di Mayo
LOOKS LIKE WE GOT OUR VERY OWN MR. COLIN POWELL, HOW NICE
What has this go to do with someone who can't pronounce his own name correctly?

Explain.
Oh 
great
 explanation there, simply amazing.

Would you care to explain yourself properly this time? As far as I am aware, I'm not planning to liberate any sandy countries, nor do I pronounce my Christian name incorrectly. 

Please also note that I:

Wasn't
 born in New York City on April 5 1937.

Didn't
 serve two tours of duty in Vietnam.

Haven't
 been awarded the Defence Distinguished Service Medal, Bronze Star Medal or the Purple Heart.

So far the similarities are uncanny. We could have been separated at birth.
Mr. Bishi must be REALLLLYYYYY BORED!!!:p

DAMMM 
you are BORED 

LMFAO!!! :p

Dam Bishi you must really be in a bad mood today:| I belive that the guest was really trying to help you in his answeres just because he didn't know bout the nfl draft doesn't mean he didn't help at all. Or even if you feel he didn't theres no need for you to be so dam rude about it. 

As for Cinco de Mayo which is celebrated on May 5 of every year. 
"The 5th of May is not Mexican Independence Day, but it should be!  And Cinco de Mayo is not an American holiday, but it should be.  Mexico declared its independence from mother Spain on midnight, the 15th of September, 1810.  And it took 11 years before the first Spanish soldiers were told and forced to leave Mexico. 

So, why Cinco de Mayo?  And why should Americans savor this day as well?  Because 4,000 Mexican soldiers smashed the French and traitor Mexican army of 8,000 at Puebla, Mexican, 100 miles eash of Mexico City on the morning of May 5, 1862. 

When the battle was over, many French were killed or wounded and their cavalry was being chased by Diaz' superb horsemen miles away.  The Mexicans had won a great victory that kept Napoleon III from supplying the confederate rebels for another year, allowing the United States to build the greatest army the world had ever seen.  This grand army smashed the Confederates at Gettysburg just 14 months after the battle of Puebla, essentially ending the Civil War.

Thousands of Mexicans crossed the border after Pearl Harbor to join the U.S. Armed Forces.  As recently as the Persian Gulf War, Mexicans flooded American consulates with phone calls, trying to join up and fight another war for America. 

Mexicans, you see, never forget who their friends are, and neither do Americans.  That's why Cinco de Mayo is such a party -- A party that celebrates freedom and liberty.  There are two ideals which Mexicans and Americans have fought shoulder to shoulder to protect, ever since the 5th of May, 1862.  VIVA! el CINCO DE MAYO!!"

If you wanna find out more heres a link to the site which i gathered this info from. 
http://www.vivacincodemayo.org/history.htm
 Maybe that will help you in your question Bishi if not then I suggest you get some books out and do a little reading. Before critizing everyone on there replys to your questions.

[img=
http://webclipart.about.com/library/hvarious/cintle3.gif
]

wow interesting history lesson peachy ;)
No I'm not in a bad mood today, I'm like this all the time. This is what I'm like when I'm not being forced to be nice to people. And there 
is
 perfectly good reason for me being 'cranky', which would be that no-one has been able to answer the question yet.

I know all about the history of the day, like you I did a search on google for it. But what I want to know, and something that still remains unanswered, is 
has America always celebrated it?
 I've never noticed it before when I've been out there, that's why I asked the question. 

If it 
is
 yet another way to get at the French, it's a good one.
It's mostly the mexican culture that really celebrates it here in the US but at like all the restuaruants and places of buisness most of em all signify some sort of Festivity spirit.

Yup Mr. Bishi is definately in a 
CRANKY MOOD!

Is it because you are not a MOD??? hmmmm.......;\
ohhhhhhhh this is soo good - bishi i officially love you ! u lot are american so dont get how funny bishi is. bloody yanks :| 

FYI Pollack

IM CANADIAN 
U DUMB KNOB!!
sandy hes on another planet love,its called bishis love planet.
1) Cinco de Mayo - as near as I can figure it is mainly celbrated - by persons in the US - as an excuse to eat and drink.  I have never heard the history of it before, but I have heard about the celebration for years.

2) Don't know.  I can drive a stick or an automatic - actually prefer stick shift.  It is possible it is a 'size of foot' (or size of shoe) thing. I noticed in one particular foreign car/manual that anyone with feet larger than mine would have a hard time not catching more than one pedal at a time.  And I have tiny feet.  Who knows.

3) NFL draft.  The theory is that it will give the worst teams better players so that - over time - all of the teams will be competitve.  No team(s) will be useless year after year after year.... OK, that was the theory.  The worst team selects a new player first and so on and so on until every team as selected.  In practice, teams trade "I'll give you our #1 draft pick this year, if you give me".  By the time reality happens, the theory can get lost.

Good bloody work. If I had a gold star to give out, you'd be on the receiving end 
rebanne

Thanks.
gee, I didn't come right out and answer anything definitively and I got a gold star!  Too cool! 
You get the star for being the most helpful with the 
NFL Draft
 question. That had been bugging me for weeks.

And for being pretty nifty with your answers for 
1)
 and 
2)
OMG  :O
Did I just see Mr. Bishi say a kind word to a human!!:O
Wow I guess there is hope for this world!! LOL
If Bishi is 
Cranky
 and can still say a kind word - WOW ..............I am lost for WORDS!!

Oh Sandy Sandy Sandy I'm afraid to see what Bishi will reply to you with :( Since Bishi is no longer a forum mod he aint been the nicest in these forums :(

LOL  I noticed!!
He's 
REALLY CRANKY!

this will be fun;)
No doubt he instinctively sensed that I'm a programmer in real life.  I'm not sure that programmers are entirely human.

Actually, always willing to answer questions from my somewhat   irreverant point of view.
Ok, most americans drive automatics because 

1)They are more expensive so car dealers and manufacturers make more money.

2)Most americans are lazy and don't want to be bothered with shifting so they'll pay more money for the auto.

3)It's a ton easier to drive auto than a manual trans.

4)It's mostly #2 though ;)
LOL ! ! ! !

signed....
a lazy American

[img=
http://virtualsolarsystem.com/mercury/webwizard/usaflag.gif
]

:p

tooooooo  funny...

c u
GHOST RIDER< I NEED TO TALK TO YOU IMEDIATELY!
BETTER SOONER THAN LATER
MEET ME IN THE TANX ROOM AS SOOM AS POSIBLE}
THAT IS ALL