« Back to All Topics
The ! (and other stories)
Picture, if you will, a gaming site with Hungarian influence.
Two nights back, Lupo640 (Hungary) challenges me to two reversi games. I win both, a bit disappointed, his rating promised more of a challenge. 
He then insists I am cheating. Ah.. just another bad loser.
I take him to playok, we share a few blitz games and (after prompting) he apologises. 

Next time I log in, lo and behold,
 after two years
, a ! mark next to my name.

Strange coincidence, don't you think? Someone ran screaming to daddy? Perish the thought....

It's a fact that program abuse and abusers have trivialised internet Othello, as it has many other board games. They want you to believe there is some single, great secret to the game. You need but discover it and voila! we can all play like programs. But that's the internet, it absolutely does not compare with a real, live tournament. I should know, I've been playing, for real, for 20 years. My identity is not a secret. I can tell you: the deeper you go, the more mysterious it gets.

Two points here. My motivation/inclination to cheat online would be zero. I know the real thing, sorry, the temptation just isn't there. There is also something called honour, but I don't expect the accusers and abusers to comprehend 
that

So, what is the 
true
 function of the ! marking system? 
Let me say 'sandpit' at this point.

As an invitation for me to leave in disgust, it's a failure. Not how my mind works sorry :) I am not the one with explaining to do.

I'll be around, red mark and all. Teaching when asked, learning where possible and discrediting the red ! at every opportunity.

So if you are a genuine player, let me offer a glimmer of hope...
and if you can't wait to be just another bad loser, well, you do not stand out, sorry, and it certainly 
does not
 take a program to beat you.

My ! has suddenly disappeared, as mysteriously as it arrived....

No explanation, no apology but nevermind. 

This is me, thankful for small mercies. 

Now extend the same courtesy to cheekytrax, please.

You will find cheeky at the top of the British Othello rating list, and at many real tournaments. 

You will also find his instructional reversi videos on you-tube.

No one is doing more to promote (reversi) interest and understanding both in real life and across the 'net.

His passion for the game has never been questioned, except, for some reason, here.

Enough already. Thank you.

and its mysteriously gone.....

The power of Midnight!

Cheekytrax!
Could someone please explain the red ! to me?  It appeared next to my name (twice) after I lost!  Then it just as mysteriously disappeared a game later in both instances.  Is this a glitch?  How do they determine who is using a program?  Very confusing.

--Vy
I don't know if this is relevant or not, but I think the ! appears if you switch back and forth between the game and any other program; be it a reversi applet, instant messenger, or any program.