« Back to All Topics
y people get so angry about points
Posted in 
Darts
Posted in 
Darts
i love points y dont u, i dont like the abuse i get, its the game, read the rules

You make me sick...  Last time we played you were extremely abusive towards me Lukemiller...  So practice what you preach  :|
mastermel.best internet fried ive ever had,no reason for this person to get banned.
I also don't get this at all. Soon as I start going for points everybody gets so angry. Its part of the game people. Maybe those people haven't actually seen the real game of cricket. 

The object of real cricket is to post a total which you can defend. So if it really bothers them so much why don't they go play 501 or pool or something??
Addressing this Point Mongering issue: The reason for the dislike of point mongering is because scoring points is not the object of the game. The object is to close the segments. However, in the real game, points are often scored incidental to closing the segments (example: You've marked twice in a segment and your third dart either trips or doubles, closing the segment and scoring the incidental points left over, unlike this dart game). Point mongering just distroys the whole strategy and object of the game. And, is frustraiting to the experienced, just as a novice poker play frustrates seasoned poker players. Fortunately, as with poker any dart player worth his salt should be able to block even the biggest point monger. So, to you veterans, suck it up and get over it. To you point mongers, nobody likes a smart-ass.
Rodman1 you are wrong, the object of the game is to WIN. There are plenty of strategies to play with points. The places I play darts, only the girls play without points. Points with slop is the common cricket game where I am from.
I can understand the sentiment but, the reality of it is that to win the game is to close all segments AND have the highest score. If you play cricket in a league or at tournaments, especially against some of the better players out there in your area (unless you have no competitive darts in your area), you should realize that they can 9m at any given opportunity. If you don't have a 9m advantage on someone or better, you shouldn't feel comfortable with your lead. 
And unless you're supremely confident that every cricket game you play you're going to a) win the diddle and b) go 9m-9m-3b while counting on your opponent not to point ... you best learn the strategies of when it's a good time to point and when it's a good time to throw for the close/start a new number.