[b]Solution to program cheat[/b]
Posted in 
Four in a Row
[b]Solution to program cheat[/b]
Hello,

I see that there is still a problem here with people 
using programs
 to play for themselves without effort. 

And I still don't play because of this problem not fair-play.

The solution I propose is simple: Just 
change the size of the board
 and programs will not serve anymore. It will not be the ''classic'' version of the game, but this problem of cheat will be resolved. 

What's your opinion about it?

Thanks,
And good games,
JP
"Using a computer to decide your moves in a board game (specifically chess, checkers, reversi, gomoku, nine men's morris, go, four in a row, pente and backgammon) on FlyOrDie is allowed.
FlyOrDie members have the right to know if they are playing against a computer. Therefore FlyOrDie uses a system to detect suspected program use, which will be indicated on the concerned player's info screen with a small icon."
^ FOD's rules of use on using a program. 
It's pretty clear that it's not "cheating" anyone can use a program.. it's allowed. Maybe a little unfair, but allowed.
The way i understand it the only time you can not use a program if during tourneys, otherwise anyone can use whatever program they like. I believe this rule should be changed, but that's up to FOD... Playing within your own skill would be a much more desirable system. It's just games.. Play them and have fun, who cares about winning :), just a rating...

KBAD out..
Hello,
Thanks for answer!

Yes I know that programs are allowed. Okay, this is not considered like a ''cheat'' for FOD. But this is not really fair-play for the opponent. What's the goal to play if everyone play with a program?

The problem is that I dont pay anymore to play here because of too many program people and wrong classment. The players with programs should have the same rating and never move, they are equal, right? But this question is not important. 

So I suggest again the idea to change the size of the board in this game. I think this is the real solution to have only normal players?

What do you think about this idea?

Good games!
Hi,

Many players don't use program. And the most important is to play for the pleasure... 

New board size will be a nice idea for some players who want it. But in a different room.

I don't see the idea behind releasing it in a new room. I'd like to see it in the regular room as an option for subscribers.
Yeah! As an *option*... This can be great! Like the button mute... Very useful! :D
Hello,

It is a game site, where there must have user-friendliness, which we should have fun playing ... So why is it programs? Otherwise I think it is a good idea the new size. For in 7x6 it starts to be really annoying. But stop putting everything to subscribers. We must not forget that this is a free site. Do not make a pay site! Already there are many people who are party
BAD_NEWS_1: It is trivial for a program to play different board sizes.

GOOD_NEWS_1: Only 1% or 2% of players here are cheaters.

BAD_NEWS_2: These few cheaters create 
a lot of
  nicknames.

GOOD_NEWS_2: Is easy to spot cheaters;  Their 
rating
 is 
too high
 compared to total_number_of_games_played.

BAD_NEWS_3: There is only 12 or 15 moderators here and they are volunteers (unpaid).  It would take at least 10 times as many Mods to chase to chase down cheaters 
AND
 Mods would need to be paid good money for that dirty job.  Unless you and everyone else are ready to pay 10 times what you are paying now, you can forget about it.

GOOD_NEWS_3: There are 
TOUSANDS
 of legitimate players just like you who just want to enjoy a good game. :) 

So have fun!
I see that some people agree with this idea, but I think that the 7x6 board should be deleted, to stop the programs users.

''It is trivial for a program to play different board sizes.''
Programs in connect 4 exist only in the 7x6 version, the FOD board. So if FOD changes his board size, programs can't be used. 
I propose a bigger size, like 8x7, 9x7 or 8x8.
I like 7x6 personally. And I'm not a program. ( If you have a doubt come to play with me). The sure is if the board size change everyone "maybe" don't like. 

Because the old players are important, but the new players also. 
The good players and the bad players. It's cruçial to care about all.
So for the good balance...

New board size YES excellent idea because the old players are really -off- ! 

But FlyOrDie accept the programs. And even if you and me we don't like this! The people who use program have the right to play. 

You have a solution for the runners?
Because it's not fair... And of course all the runners don't use program. But where is the fun for the kids after if all is - stoped - ? That will become a dictature.

It's really boring to play with players who use programs, etc... BUT... 
If this rule don't change it's necessary  to be a little indulgent.
Behind every nickname there is a human being. Who deserves a little 
consideration despite the flaws.
"The sure is if the board size change everyone "maybe" don't like." 

For be clear... Because I speak like an alien the morning... :P There, I talk for your vision of the things.
When you say...  "7x6 board should be deleted" .

It's extreme. That's all. The progs in the future, can be present in 8x8... You think not. But you can be suprised.
So maybe... It's not the solution for "stop the programs".
It's just nice for have more fun. For all...

Good games!

Hello,

st ȷ c, moderators are volunteers, but volunteers. On the one hand, they want to be moderators and secondly they get something in return (subscriber free). I think the moderators wanted to be moderator because they love this site and not to sanctioner wrongly or for money.

jean__91, not 6x7 size should not be deleted. I love playing with my friends and some fair-play players. Just add an option to choose the size (for all users).

For about a year, FlyOrDie develops. I hope it will continue.
Yes, you are right! I forgot that it is important to keep the old 7x6 players, and the classic version of the game. Some people passed time to develop tactics on this board, but is also a fun board. 

An option to choose the size of the board should be the best option. 

Pop-out is already a good idea in this sense to limit program users, but is generally only available for subscribers. 

Have fun,
JP
Hi, maybe you will never reach that ppl don't cheat on FOD, for this reason I play very rarely here. But if there is an option to set 2 or 4 games for ALL player(not only subbed ppl) it is a good help to keep the progger and runner low.
In Curling is an option for all ppl so why not in connect4? 
Dear sirs,

I have been following this topic for a long time.Not only here but also on the internet.
I am a good player myself. I have also cheat against " chess programmers ". But I don't like to call them cheaters. Is a little bit of unrespectfull. It will be better if we call them chess programmers.
My experience is that you can learn a lot playing against a chess program. Because they play the opening as the way it is. Chess programs are good to play against them if you want to improve your skills. But ofcourse if you want to be one of the highest player in 1 of the rankings of flyordie you must avoid them. I think flyordie has make a very big progress allowing programs to play. For me is obviously that a chess site with no programs is not full completely. Programs are needed it in chess sites.
The only problem i see is what somebody has also told. Is that some players who are using a program they also have a lot of nicknames. And i understand that for a unpaid mod is a lot of work to trace them and pull them out.

I am very happy with the policy of flyordie. I think this is the best way and nothing need to be changed. I also think that old players don't care if there are program allowed. They just want to play and are already use to do it in flyordie and they will not closed their accounts regarding programs.

Lewis