« Back to All Topics
Connect 4 Pop-Out
Posted in 
Four in a Row
Connect 4 Pop-Out
Posted in 
Four in a Row
Connect 4 Pop-Out
It seems there has been an updated version of Connect 4 released by Milton Bradley recently. In addition to the original game, it features a PopOut and a Pop10 version within the game. I do not know the rules for Pop10, but for PopOut my understanding is you place checkers in the board as normal. When it is your turn, if you want to instead of placing a checker, you can 'pop out' one of your checkers in the bottom row, causing the rest of the column to shift down one. I wanted to start a forum on this to first get the rules to these alternate version straight, and then to discuss the strategy and similarities to the standard game strategy. 
I was going to discuss that variant in the wikibook thingy, before i fell off the face of c4topia. Some day, i do intend to finish the wiki page. But I won't be returning to c4 for probably 5 months at the earliest. I say 50% chance i return in 5 months, 50% chance 2-3 years.

Not that you need me for this purpose, ofc.  Any variant can be analyzed the same way as regular c4: by using the area of the board, and distinguishing between the types of threats there are (distinguishing them by the # of spaces they reserve for the zugzwang situation). 

For instance, in regular c4, it can be shown that there are 2 types of threats: even and odd, distinguished by the fact that an even threat sets up a zugzwang position in which there the # remaining spaces is even (for instance, if there's a threat in the 4th row, then at the end of the game there will be 4 spaces left when zugzwang occurs). Whereas an odd threat causes a zugzwang in which the # spaces is odd. Once we see this, the next step is to look at the area of the board: 42, which is even, therefore 1st player moves when # spaces is even. So when zugzwang position has even # spaces, 1st player loses. We said that that position is caused by an even threat, therefore it's clear that the first player is beaten by an even threat.

That's the general method and you'll see that it works for any variant, even crazy ones like Chess Knight, or Four-Way Gravity.
finally FOD added new c4game 
"Pop-Out"/b]
Bonsoir, ce serait bien d'ajouter connect pop 10 ou connect 4 en 3D ou bien d'autre variante comme le 8x8... Vu qu'il n'y a pas beaucoup de joueur, au moins nous auront plus de choix de jeu et cela pourra aussi attiré une nouvelle clientèle...