« Back to All Topics
I Just Pot 8 Ball Off Break
Posted in 
Billiards
Posted in 
Billiards
I thought it wasn't possible but I just did it. Unfortunately, unlike normal rules where I should win, the black was respotted. T'was against HotSauce.
yes i've done it before also, but yes your right you should have won ;\
no its posible..stunrun did it to me..respotted tho it shud b a win..
Actually, according to "World Standardized Rules" of Eight Ball:

"" 4.8   8-BALL POCKETED ON THE BREAK
If the 8-ball is pocketed on the break, breaker may ask for a re-rack or have the 8-ball spotted and continue shooting. ""

So, according to the rules, FlyOrDie is essentially correct in re-spotting the 8 ball in the event it is pocketed on the break.

Actually, I'm English. Play by English rules. Should be a win. In America you probably have to spin on your head 15 times if you pot black off break. Crazy rules.
The rules excerpt is from the "
WORLD
 Standardized Rules" which I assume combine the most commonly accepted rules of the game from differant countries. Of course, it's natural to think that the most acceptable rules are those with which one is most familiar.

And besides, pocketing the 8 ball on the break here in the States requires one to play the remainder of the match in ones underwear... AND spin 15 times around on one's head. :-)
the offical rules says it either must be re-rack or re-spot but that is for world championships so on and major tournys, but in england we have our own pub rules where u cant re-rack or re-spot cos it will cost u another game to do so, so therefore we just give the win :p

ty matt
haha ur rite..i like win wen u pot 8  ball :p'
Rocket, for the same reason, the same is true in bars or pubs that have coin operated tables here in the States. You kill the eight on the break, you win.
Dont know how anyone else plays but on english 8 ball in pubs if u pot black ball before youve potted all ur colours the other person wins, even if it is at the break!!!
What pubs do you go to ? You win if you put break as long as no other balls are potted.
if u pot the black on break u lose!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is 8 ball were talking about not 9 ball
I am sorry Mr. English Power. I play pool in pubs, clubs, schools, colleges, leisure centres and in competions. Pretty much everywhere, I have always been to the understanding that if from the break the black ball is potted without any other balls on that shot then the person who did that break wins the game. Matt and Magician validate this above however we agreed that we all play again so we don't lose our 50 p ! 

Don
I think your very very confused, pubs i play in, you pot black on break u lose, without no exception. You cant have a re rack as its not possible as youve gotta pay again. Who would then pay?? If you pot the black before you are supposed to you lose!!!! 

But everywhere has different rules, as Tv 8 ball you can place ball anywhere, pub pool its behind the line shooting down the table not up!!
Sorry Pollack, you are wrong.

In pubs where the tables are usually coin operated and a winner-stays-on system is in place then potting the black is counted as a victory, but only for convenience.

In the European Pool Association (EPA) rules used for competition (for English style pool) a black potted on the break is in fact a re-rack. If you don't believe me, just check out the rules when you see them on a pub wall.
You say I am wrong then told me I am right in your explanation ? I'm confused.
Incorrect Pollack. I am telling you that English pool rules call for a re-rack after the black is potted from the break. This is contrary to your claim that it is a victory for the person who scores it.

You have mistakenly taken the pub adaptation of the rules for being the actual rules themselves. In a pub every rack has to have a winner to allow the winner-stays-on rule to work. There is in fact only one set of official rules, which are rarely used to the word in pubs except for some leagues.
Pub rules can vary and also can depend on who is playing. Potting the black here gives you the win and because of the coin operated machines, a re-rack is only possible if someone pays again or if you take the key from the barman's nose ;)! That's the reason we don't re-rack and it does give you the win...
*from UNDER the barman's nose.

Correction made incase a little kid tried to be funny, thanks.
Thankyou. I don't care about the official standardized military modernised reformatted association of pool official world organisation rules. I care about my rules. Itso, Factso.
I tried very hard but it is really hard to pot 8 ball of in the break. Can you teach me? :D
Just watch the rules! You will not lose! :D