Billiards League
Posted in 
Billiards
Billiards League
Posted in 
Billiards
Billiards League
Hey guys,

I just came around with the thought of a league system for  each of the popular Billiards games (8Ball and/or Snooker) and would like to hear your opinions about that.
The main idea is not to have single standing, short-termed tournaments, but to have leagues as you know it from sports like football, basketball, and so on, where every participating player will have to play every other player of the same division. Matches would be played on fixed days and times, like there would be one matchday per week (for example every sunday evening at 7pm, where most of ppl should have time to play) on which all fixtures of that matchday should be played. If anybody wouldnt be available to play their match on some sunday, they could still postpone their match to any other day of the following week if their opponent accepts that.
8-Ball matches could be played for example in a race to 4 mode with 6 frames maximum so actually a 3:3 draw is possible (Snooker matches may be race to 3 with 4 frames max.), which would bring more tension to the competition imo. Point-reward-system would be the same as it is in football: Draws would be rewarded with 1 point for each player, victories would be rewarded with 3 points for the winning player.
If enough players would like to participate, we could have several divisions including promoting and relegating players at the end of each season.

All we need for this project would be seriously long-term motivated players who do not lose interest after losing the first 3 matches of the season.

Please let me know what you think about this idea and sorry if anyone already came along with that, or if there even already is a project like that in the making, as I didnt really read through the forums.
This is a great idea. I will play snooker league.
Your idea is good but it will be hard or even impossible to find motivated players i think.
There was an 8ball league like this a few years ago Aladin's friend Eric created a website with a league table and fixtures etc but now you'd be lucky to find players to play.
Lets do 8-12 players. We can find 12 regular and solid players. 1 big group everybody plays each other. Then 4 top players progress to semis. 
My thought was also to create a league of around ten players to start with, so that the season would take ~9 weeks, so we can test how this system works out and if this project is capable to be continued in the future.
Your idea of adding some sort of play-offs is also interesting.

I would suggest that anyone who would like to participate just leaves a message here by adding their name to the below list (Pls only one nick). Let's see if we find enough players to start with.

Snooker

1. Firstslowdown

8Ball

Save yourself a headache, this wont work you will be better doing a tournament format than a league as inevitably some players will quit when they realise they can't win.
I think marty is right. Hard to find players for the league. Lets try for a tournament