« Back to All Topics
chip
Posted in 
Billiards
chip
Posted in 
Billiards
chip
does any1 think there should be a chip button so u can have a chance of hitting the balls on the other side
Not quite as simple as that, considering this game bases itself on realism things such as raising the butt of the cue need to be taken into consideration, also a foul would need to be programmed for when the cue ball leaves the table.

Would be a nice feature of the game though, it would introduce swerve too.
A bigger question might be whether it is LEGAL to jump over an object ball ?:|
if there was a chip button the graphics would have to be better too    this will only improve fod
there are other  sites that allow u to jump shots, i dont c why fod cant arange this. A jump shot is a legal shot  jus takes practice to acomplish it correctly

ℓįℓ_ζųτέ_đє√įℓ 
>A jump shot is a legal shot

I think you are wrong. Here's an excerpt from the World Standardized Rules for 8 and 9 ball:

3.26     ILLEGAL JUMPING OF BALL
It is a foul if a player strikes the cue ball below center (“digs under” or “lofts” the cue ball) and intentionally causes it to rise off the bed of the table in an effort to clear an obstructing ball. Such jumping action may occasionally occur accidentally, and such “jumps” are not to be considered fouls on their face; they may still be ruled foul strokes, if for example, the ferrule or cue shaft makes contact with the cue ball in the course of the shot.

You are however allowned to hit DOWN into the cue ball to make it jump in 8 and 9 ball, but this is much hard to simulate in a computer game. Neither is allowed in snooker:

Jump shots are illegal in International Snooker. It is a foul if the striker intentionally causes the cue ball to jump (rise from the bed of the table) by any means, if the jump is an effort to clear an obstructing ball.
jump shots are legal shots on both 9 bl and pro 8 bl  beepe , but a ture jump shot isnt made by lifting the cueball  into the air by striking the cue ball low

http://www.21ace.com/videos/Jump-Shot-Pool-Trick-Shots.wmv
  i have played many pro tournaments in real pool   i know my  rules  very  well  m8. in this  vedio is a legal  jump shot

I accept that some bars, clubs and leagues have variants, but I am quoting the official rules. In your trick shot video the ball is struck 
below center
, which would be a foul shot in the quoted rules.
omly in some profesional  8 and 9 bl  rules  masse and jump shots arent allowed m8. it takes great skill to  acheive a proper jump shot. it is classed as a trick shot but in  Canada it is a legal shot in 9 bl and 8 bl rules  but not in  snooker .  . a masse shot is a legal shot in snooker  here tho. dif countries  dif  rules i supose m8, but ive played in both  canada and USA in pro tournies and  masee ans jump shots are allowed ,depending on the specifacations of the rules in a particular  trny. then  in that case i would hafa agree with u on  jump shots and masse shot not being allowed here in  canada   .definetly jump shots are  not allowed in  bar pool  gms
>omly in some profesional 8 and 9 bl rules masse and jump shots arent allowed m8.
>in Canada it is a legal shot in 9 bl and 8 bl rules
>dif countries dif rules i supose m8
>ive played in both canada and USA in pro tournies and masee ans jump shots are allowed depending on the specifacations of the rules in a particular trny.

This site uses the 
OFFICIAL
 US 8 ball rules. I have already said that there are variants to the rules,  which covers everything you have said. For fod it's safer to use the official rules to avoid all the alternate interpretations of the rules. For example if Canadian variations are like they use in my local bar, then it takes some of the skill out of the game.

>it takes great skill to acheive a proper jump shot

It does? I disagree, if you can play the game then jump shots are easy.

>a masse shot is a legal shot in snooker here tho
>jump shots and masse shot not being allowed here in canada .definetly jump shots are not allowed in bar pool gms

I have never seen an official set of rules declaring a masse shot as illegal. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
Beepe m8  a jump shot is a very difficult shot to complete correctly. buy lifting the cuebl from the table by hiting the cue ball  low is not a proper  jump shot and is  a illegal jump shot   .  a true  jump shot is very much like a masse shot  using very high topspin on the cue ball  causing it to  jump over a ball . that is tha jump shot im trying to explain to you. it is a very difficult shot to cpmplete  therefore it is allowed in our pro 8 and 9 bl trnys in canada, now if your good enough to pull off a shot like like continusaly,then why  waiste your time  here  . GO  play  pro in real  :):):):):):):):):):):):)
http://www.wannamod.com/gfools/vids/jumps.wmv

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mxy7sSL78I

These mssee shots and jumps shots are allowed in  8 and 9 bl  rules beepe just  showing you a few examples of what i mean  buy a true jump shot and masse shot:):):):)
I know the jump shot you are talking about - where you hit down into the ball and 
not 
 below center. Okay, that kind of jump shot is difficult ;)
Oh, and I already said those ones were legal. Don't you know how pretentious I can be yet ?:|;)
Ok Devil, you say it's hard to do a jump shot? 
Then you obviously ain't as good as you make out in real life, it's so easy to chip just aim down.
Beginners find it easier to chip a ball than to play a normal shot.
Also you say Beppe should go play rather than waste time on here? 
I reckon Beppe would own you no prob, also i think you should go back to Elementary and sort out the poor grammar and punctuation, just some friendly advice "m8" 

Official IPT 8-Ball Rules

10.0 Jump Shots-
Jump shots are legal as long as the cue ball is not struck under the center line that is parallel to the surface of the table.

cowen   lol i have  won over 100   pro tournies in my life. i have ive owned pool  halls and have  even made some trick shots  the pros use in trick shot trnys to this day   dont  tell me how to play pool  ty
I wasn't "telling" you how to play pool, heed my advice about the Elementary then you would understand that i was saying it ain't hard to chip a ball or play swerve.
I was in more simple terms saying, you don't have to be class to chip or swerve, you have played in over 100 pro torneys and won eh?
Is there any websites or videos of your achievments?
Or are they just best of 1's down your local with a few of your friends.
I'm going with the latter.
I love chips! Especially with a fried egg or 2 :p lol
>Then you obviously ain't as good as you make out in real life, it's so easy to chip just aim down.

A "legal" jump shot in 8/9 ball is not as easy as one where you just cue down below the center of the ball. You have to hit ABOVE the center, is that what you are talking about?

>as the cue ball is not struck under the center line
Ya, that's what I said as well - but your first video shows an illegal shot, because he chips it at the bottom of the ball.
yes beepe the  1st video is a eligal  jump  shot  im glad we can agree on  that lol 
Oh ya  thats  rite Cowan  lol iwent to the local store to buy the trophies in  this image 
http://www.freewebs.com/lilcutedevil/Photo0008.bmp
  lmao 
so the chip button  is   a must   fod
misunderstanding here divl and beppe,ur both saying the same thing :p
cowen dont be so agressive m8 no need to ;\

and yes the rules are like beppe(and devil:p) says and yes the legal jump shot is diff to make

btw nice videos..:p
Actually Guy's a jump shot or intentionally jumping the cue ball in 8-ball pool is deemed illegal, however no such rule applies to 9-ball... Mind you an improvement in the actual game to allow swerve on the ball would be beneficial... Hopefully fod will observe our pleas on any future undate... lol
>Actually Guy's a jump shot or intentionally jumping the cue ball in 8-ball pool is deemed illegal.

In fact, as I quoted earlier in the thread they are only illegal if the cue ball is struck below center. I even quoted the actual rules for you to try to avoid this kind of response. Did you try reading that?
i think flyordie should consider this