« Back to All Topics
why?
Posted in 
Billiards
why?
Posted in 
Billiards
why?
hey i was wondering why theres such a big difference in 8ball and 9ball? 8ball has 1000+ plus players all the time and 9ball has 250 at the most
Personally speaking I like 8-ball better because you can't just smack the cueball into the one ball and hope you sink the 8, 9-ball is played like that for the most part hit n' hope.
The only replies you're going to get are that 9-Ball is a flukers game, etc etc. Personally I like to play them both as they're both challenging games in their own way.
9 Ball is to hard. People will call it flukey because people who get a 3 Ball + in 9 Ball won't have a 2 Ball + in 8.

It's more challenging as they're alot of hit n hopers :d
i like 9 ball a lot better but people just dont play it the right way..
I treat 9 ball as more of an 'informal' game, I play it when I'm not playing well in snooker or when I'm just not in the mood to play some serious games to try and win, I don't even bother trying that hard with 9 ball, just aim roughly and hit the ball ;)
well, i was thinking 9ball is prolly harder,because u have 1 ball to get pos for, but 8 u can easily mess up and have 6 other balls.but i enjoy 8 more, cuz theres more class players
i like them both equal, and i think they need equal skill, well ok 9 ball is a 1 ball game so to speak, but u need to get to the 9 first, mostly the high rate players do. people say 9 needs no skill, it does, man its hard to explain:p

but there both great, and both need skill
lol yea i agree man, 9 is prolly more luck, and any1 can win, but overall the better player will win , so is still a skill game i think
yes Diego correct, i mean i just played a 3 ball, and wasnt far off, but somehow the top players get on the 9 first. if u look at real 9 ball, most players pot from break and clear up, fod aint like that completely, but to and extent it is, if say the good players have say 4 balls to win the clear, the have a cutting edge. it really is hard to put into words but 9 needs a high degree of skill

also for eg, most ppl have a higher rating in 8 ball than 9 ball, i do. so being honest, that suggests 8 ball is easier
People have a higher rating in 8ball because theres more players, thats why the ratings in snooker lite are so low, cos not many people play. Most the points come from a --- playing because if they win thats at least 16 points extra because none are taken from the opponent.

I think 9ball requires more skill on a high level because you only have 1 ball to aim at, and positioning is vital. In 8ball you can mess up the intended position but still pot another ball. I never play 9ball because before you get to the high level you have to go through the people who just hit and hope and for me they always manage to fluke the 9 first shot.
I have the exact same reasoning as Rise here, especially on the second bit, its around the 250-400 rating where there isn't as much skill involve but more reliance on luck.

But once you get past it, the game is quite good