« Back to All Topics
Scotland flag
Posted in 
Curling
Scotland flag
Posted in 
Curling
Scotland flag
Hi Mods, this has been asked before & you's promised to sort it out but never did. As we invented the game it would be nice to see a Scotland flag put up. No offence to the British flag but I don't want to be using that as i'm Scottish. Thats like sticking the EU flag up for the whole of Europe to use. I trust you'll sort it out & we'll see 1 soon. Thanks.
With all due respect to all Scotsmen and the inventors of this magnificent game, if the two times world champion is ok  wearing the Union Flag, I hope all Scottish online curlers can live with that, too.

http://goo.gl/7it1Nj
Thats hardly an answer or a promise fulfilled is it?
The only time the Scottish team wears the British flag is in the Olympic Games (note the Olympic Rings below the flag on the jacket pictured).  This is because the International Olympic Committee does not recognize England, Wales or Scotland separately.  The British Olympic Committee recognizes the Scottish champions as the representatives of Great Britain in the Olympics.  The World Curling Federation does recognize Scotland and the curling team competes under the Scottish flag at all WCF events.  It would be proper in a curling game to have a Scottish flag available if a player wishes. 
Thanks John for your support. With all due respect Mods its an issue of patriotism. Some don't want to sign in under the Union flag. Its not a big ask when you see all the other countries flags here.
If you want a technical explanation: the flag list is based on ISO 3166-1 country codes. Scotland does not have such a country code...
Ok fair enough it does not look like i'm going to get anywhere with this but since we're being technical, assuming Scotland win independence next year then technically they will not be part of the UK anymore just like Ireland are not part of the UK but they have their own flag here. So on that basis we will get our own flag then? When you go through the list & see countries you've never ever heard of having the flag then something is sadly wrong when the country that invented the game can't even get a flag put up. Your probably sick listening to me mate but i'm sure if you wanted to please your users you'd find a way of doing it if you wanted to.
Its your lucky day Mod cos its me again, I forgot to mention that I have had a lot of support from my Canadian & American friends in trying to get this, they are amazed that we don't have a Scotland flag here. Thanks very much to all of them.
You have given technical explanations, but the practical explanation is that you just can't be bothered to accommodate your users.  I doubt that it would be impossible, even without an ISO number, for Scotland's flag to be uploaded from the net and included with the others.   Technically, there is no such country as the United Kingdom.  It is a collection of individual countries. If you can find all the other flags, don't stand behind technicalities on this issue. Just do it. 
It's not too much to ask since there are a number of Scottish people playing your game,
I don't know anything about ISO 3166-1 country codes but just from looking at a map Italy for example has VA and IT sry hope not to offend anyones faith but the vatican is not a country.  Great Britain is not a country but has no ISO 3166-1 country codes for Scotland N Ireland or I think Wales not sure on Wales.  So the point is why not?
Wullie how far do you want to take this?  
No system is perfect everything always needs improvement and it will never be perfect.  I have Scotish roots and if I am correct about Italy for example I wll back you on what ever you feel you need to do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Europe_ISO_3166-1.svg
Aye, I'll jump in here too. As a Canadian of Scottish descent, I find it unfathomable that the country where the game was invented is not represented. It would be like have a Hockey game that ignored Canadians
Again to the above posters thank you very much for the support. It can be done, it should be done, its not impossible as Flyordie did revamp the whole curling game a few months back so it shows that the system is not set in stone & can't be touched. As has been said some of the places listed are NOT even countries so it really does beggar belief why they will not accommodate us proud Scots because without us we would not be having this debate as we'd not have a game called curling. This debate will rumble on & amaze & anger a lot of people so in the sense of fair play & equality just put it up & be done with it. I'm sure commonsense will prevail eventually if you's just sit down & have a good think.
Got my flag but not where it should be, I had to subscribe to upload my own. I still want to be able to go into my settings & choose my own country which will then put the flag up on my stats page. But knowing you's mods nothing will change but I do pray as I said above that Scotland get independence then legally you will have to do something as Scotland will not come under the umbrella of the UK flag.