« Back to All Topics
To All "Bowling" Haters.
Posted in 
Curling
To All "Bowling" Haters.
Posted in 
Curling
To All "Bowling" Haters.
I played a 4-end game earlier today against a yellow ranked opponent.  With the hammer in the 1st, I played a double takeout with my last stone to score 4.  The next end, I played mostly takeouts to limit my opponent to 1.  In the 3rd, I played a difficult raise to take out my opponent's shot rock to score 3.  I played takeouts again in the 4th to limit my opponent to 1 and win the game 7-2.  I felt I played an excellent game and my opponent's response was a "thumbs down" emoticon.  He obviously did not appreciate my tactics, but they were skillful, well within letter and spirit of the rules and not in any way unsportsmanlike.

My question to those who do not appreciate an opponent playing a takeout game is simply this:  why?  I just want to understand your reasoning and I won't respond to any of your posts. 
It is because nobody knows how to defend against it and they get frustrated. Example: I beat LionKing3/ Knockout1 numerous times with hitting, he complains about the strategy and won't play me anymore. Mostly because he can't handle losing to me, but many are hostile towards "bowling", which makes 0 sense. Real curling has lots of hitting, and if they didn't want you to hit they would expand the free guard zone to more rocks. So yes Charolette Center the complaints make no sense to me either.
I assume it's just a general sense of "Now I have fewer rocks/ chances to score, so I am going to whine." 

I also think it's mostly kids. I have had a few adults complain but it's online curling. A game... only a game. Let them whine. I laugh at them for whining and then mute them.
When will people stop complaining about it?   They do it to me all the time to.  There are no rules against it & besides if they watch real curling, the top games they will see that its a regular thing. If they are too stupid to be able to change their own strategy tough luck on them. Every player should play each match as they see fit & to hell what the opponent thinks.
I find it very funny that you all complain about other people complaing. I cant see the one calling you bowlers complain about bowlers. Stop complaing, and start eh .. bowling. PS: Yeah, you are all bowlers!
agree about the strategy,and the hitting is a part of the game
I invented 2 different sports. If bowling was meant to be played here i'd not have invented bowling greens. Now behave silly people & play curling as it should be played. No bowling allowed.
There's nothing wrong when using some takeouts in a game
but use bowling all the time like you BRB/Trout isnt a (king) wurthy :$
Thats why lion and talent and pika and manny more are so much better then you,they play with class and tactic,like real curling should be
And some real facts (all players know) you played lion 12 times,you won only 2 times,you played knock 9 times and won 1,
So you won 3 out of 21 with bowling skills,and lion/knock won 18 !!!
see the figures proof that real class will always win at the end....
So maybe consider to stop bowling all the time and play some high class curling like talent and lion :):)
And maybe you even will get 1 single friend here and isnt life not depending on virtual points.....think if you can
With kind off regards..your artificial fly ;)
ive watched all the people u mentioned and they all play takeouts.its just ridiculous this idea that the more real shots u play the better curler u are. the best curler is the one that wins most consistently and I don't see anybody topping trouts win loss ratio so he must be doing something ok.stop hating everyone on thse sites folks and congratulate the successful nicks.i never see bowler haters when they are winning only when losing.
"Bowling" is not throwing multiple hack, board, bumper, control, or tap weight shots. It takes skill to get each weight down individually. They are just as hard as draw are. I throw these shots all the time, and It takes real skill, yet I am called a bowler. "Bowling" as you call it is throwing every single shot at max weight and hoping you get lucky. I do not think many experienced players do that, as it is impossible to win games like that. Stop complaining, learn different shots, become skilled in every area, not just draws. You complain because they don't play the strategy you want them to. 
i am a Scottish champion at bowls and wish there was a game of a similar quality to the curling game on here which I enjoy and hitting is also a part of bowls just not as much and no one should be moaning about hitting after all it is part of the game. 
I agree 100% with all the comments made here. Hitting/takeouts is a part of the game for sure, a part of the strategy of the game. Those that choose to call us "bowlers" is just an ignorant opinion of people that, well.. don't get it really. I have no problem blanking an end when necessary, or trying to limit a player to 1 with the hammer. Watch the pros, it happens all the time.
sometimes when I'm playing and the opponent's strategy is to start throwing hard I get a big smile on my face I think" how are they going to win" especially when I have hammer. I see them take out every rock not setting any guards and just throwing hard. I'm far from authority on game, but it seems to me that you use hard weight when necessary, or with a plan in mind. That being said it seems that some think to shoot that way all the time let'em just adjust to the situation. People shouldn't complain about someone "bowling" as it is called. You get to choose how you play if they can't handle it it's there problem not yours.   
It's like if your playing chess and someone can't beat your strategy then they get mad because you use it?? If they can't defeat your plan it's there tough luck.

The fact is, anyone who refers to it as bowling likely has never actually watched/played a true game of curling, nor do they understand the concept of the game. Many world tournaments have been won after a team unleashed Gypsy Rose and commenced to peeling rocks. Pehaps those with little understanding of the strategy should search on line for a game of computer lawn darts, or horse shoes if they wish to just aim for the bullseye...
The people that call players bowlers do not know the game in its entirety. Strategy is the number one part of the game now that players are so good at making shots. The skip has do think 2 to 3 shots ahead in order to make a decision on what shot to call. This thought process usually takes into account the opponents are going to make their shots. Keep in mind, the overall goal is to win the game, not the end. Basic strategy is steal or force your opponent to 1 when they have the hammer and take 2 or more when you have the hammer. As soon as someone calls me a bowler, I know they do not have strategy in mind.
To airdrie central, 

Virtual Lawn Bowls for iOS, fun stuff. You can look me up on game center, I am ThePallino. I bowl a lot here in Canada.

It's kind of a mix between crown and flat green. Bigger Jack, but still lots of fun, turn based, so you don't have to sit through a whole game to finish it.
Why is the word j a  c  k bad??
i guess for the same reason r  o   d  is 
It's because they do not understand curling and the strategy of the game. If they did, in most cases they would be setting up their corner guards instead of coming into the house. It's frustrating. Most of these people should go play an actual game of "bowling".
Peace.
I agree with charlotte. I just played "fax 1". I had a double take out to win the first end with six points. He immediately called me a hacker and left. However lots of people seem to run after one end. That really annoys me too.
It's like the discussion going on in another sport,French boules, where coziness players hate when competitive players shoot the boules out. Real curling is based on takeouts, think how boring this game would be by only having to push the stones into endlessly, as if in French boules only had to roll the balls into. The funny thing is that when the complainant players are pressed enough, they suddenly start itself .... bowling! I think that it is basically a matter of personal opinion, temperament and taste, and a dispute between coziness and competitive players