« Back to All Topics
Is it just me or...
Posted in 
Curling
Is it just me or...
Posted in 
Curling
Is it just me or...
is it not frustrating when people complain or try to call you out for "bowling"? Takeout weight is part of curling and when it is the necessary shot, I'm not going to shy away from it because you like to play a draw only game, sheeeesh :p
Do what you have to do to win mate, some great 10 enders finish 4-3. If a player cannot put guards up or adapt to beat your style then tough luck on them.
No, it's not just you. There are players who just don't seem to know much about curling...the way it's played or the sportsmanship involved. The 'bowling" comments would be comical if some people were not just so rude about it. However, it is easy to be rude & obnoxious when you are anonymous. The thing I find frustrating is when players sit & let time expire in the hope you will quit. I played IVG today, a SUBSCRIBER no less who just sat, then laughed about it In the end I told him/her that I don't care about ratings points & that he/she was a poor sport, then I left. I watched him do it again (as a guest)in another game so I know that is his/her MO. I guess all you can do is keep a list of those you won't play
Yes its sad when a player does that & its frustrating to be made sit there but I do sit as I won't give them the satisfaction of leaving. Not against any rules but definitely bad sportsmanship. Unfortunately points do mean the world to some people, you only have to look at some of the top guys & the b!tching that goes on to see that. Whereas thankfully most of us have the sense to know that theres a real world out there.
I have come to the conclusion that there is a difference between curling, the actual game, and curling, the FoD video game. Many of us like to treat it as the former, complete with the tradition of sportsmanship (still waiting for FoD to implement the "winner buys drinks" feature ;) ) and realistic game play, including take outs. Many players, often those from countries where curling is simply not played, may just see it simply as another video game - complete with trash talking and/or seemingly odd tactics. To each their own, I guess. As CW says, I keep a mental list of those I wish to play or not, and govern myself accordingly. I quite enjoy the company of many players here...the points are more or less useful in determining who might be a good match, although I enjoy stretching myself against the big guys once in a while (with a full expectation of getting schooled) and am happy to occasionally accept a challenge from someone with a much lower point total who wants to do the same.