« Back to All Topics
Rules of the game 
Posted in 
Curling
Rules of the game 
Posted in 
Curling
Rules of the game 
I have little to no experience with this game but The rules are a bit weird I don't agree with them what so ever.  First of all If you steal a point off an opponent in curling the person who has the hammer gets to try again. lol (really) That's so unfair.  In Tennis for example the person with the advantage (serving) If they get stolen a game then the advantage goes to the other person which is correct. Also You shouldn't be able to blank an end and keep your hammer. That's also unfair. Not sure who wrote the current curling rules but no offence to them but I think they have it wrong.  One thing I like with the current rules is the guard rule.  Creates action which is good. 
I have little to no experience (live) is what I meant to say I have have experience on this site though.
Good point well made here,in a two end game versus a class player and the class player has hammer first(jeez scary just thinking about it)anyway u play ur best and impress urself by somehow stealing one then ur reward is to have to do it all over again,but ur class opponent decides to split ur guards which pretty much guarantee 1-1,would be nice if hammer is rotated after each end no matter who wins the end but it ain't going to happen..p's goooo vinniiiie
While it may not seem that way, you will come to appreciate and embrace these rules as they are an integral part of the strategy of the game. Curling strategy extends far beyond the current rock. The decision to blank an end (or to take or give a point) factors in the score, how many ends are remaining and the game play in the end itself as well an assessment of your own AND your opponents capabilities. In real curling the changing ice conditions may also factor in.
I agree that in a 2-end (well, anything less than 8, really) game a lot of the long term strategy flies out the window. You can mitigate that a little by playing skins format in shorter matches.
ya good point but we will see in time I agree go Vinnie lol
First of all thanks for both of your opinions you both  explained some good points Thanks. I do see the strategy in the current rules Its a tricky situation when it comes to good and bad qualities of deception or I don't understand it either one but its almost like you have to be sly which is not a good quality to show.  I've always treated games in a slight form or war and its feels against my morals to behave like that. I do realize all warfare is based on deception but some things you shouldn't do even though the option is there. More then likely it wont change but I personally still feel its a great game but played backwards. 
First of all, this isn't FOD's problem.  The rules in real curling would need to change for Flyordie to adapt as well (or else this isn't real curling).  

I very much agree with Craig's response...10 end games are far better with the current format.

And you need to admit, when allowing a point with hammer (giving up a steal) is kind of like being rewarded for playing poorly.  It really does diminish the authenticity of the game.

I also believe the current system is in favour of hitting opponents stones because allowing a steal isn't a huge upset as you will remain with hammer and try for the big 8-ender again. 

I never thought about alternating hammers every end before, but I personally am a giant fan of the idea because in the matches I lose, usually I have scored in MORE ends than my opponent thanks to steals, but they happen to get a lucky end of 3 or more points with the hammer they keep on getting.   

Finally, with the system of switching hammers, hammer advantage wouldn't be so big, would it?
 Legio IX:  I have little to no experience with this game but The rules are a bit weird I don't agree with them what so ever. First of all If you steal a point off an opponent in curling the person who has the hammer gets to try again. lol (really) That's so unfair. In Tennis for example the person with the advantage (serving) If they get stolen a game then the advantage goes to the other person which is correct. Also You shouldn't be able to blank an end and keep your hammer. That's also unfair. Not sure who wrote the current curling rules but no offence to them but I think they have it wrong. One thing I like with the current rules is the guard rule. Creates action which is good. 

The person who scores always loses the hammer. If not, say you steal 1 point, then score your 2 points in the next end. So in 2 ends, 3 points went to one team. So in the next end, say the losing team only scores 1 point and you get the hammer back. So in a matter of 5 ends you could be winning 5-2 and have the hammer back. This would make a lot of games runaways.

Sometimes letting your opponent score one is better for your strategy.

In tennis, you only serve once in a row, no matter if you win that game or lose it.

Blanking an end is where no one scores a point, so why wuold the hammer switch hands?

Mark
Yes I agree there are many strategy's for the current rules which is based around the scoring system for the hammer but it just feels wrong to me. Its also hard to predict an out come to a game even now with the current rules it can go either way but regardless I personally think it would create more action with a set hammer. obviously the strategy would be completely different to a certain degree. I'll have to try it out next year when I start out with an other team just for fun to see how it goes.  
 CarryOnCurling:  Good point well made here,in a two end game versus a class player and the class player has hammer first(jeez scary just thinking about it)anyway u play ur best and impress urself by somehow stealing one then ur reward is to have to do it all over again,but ur class opponent decides to split ur guards which pretty much guarantee 1-1,would be nice if hammer is rotated after each end no matter who wins the end but it ain't going to happen.

That's why a curling game is 8 or 10 ends. A 2 end game is difficult to win.
 whitecrj: While it may not seem that way, you will come to appreciate and embrace these rules as they are an integral part of the strategy of the game. Curling strategy extends far beyond the current rock. The decision to blank an end (or to take or give a point) factors in the score, how many ends are remaining and the game play in the end itself as well an assessment of your own AND your opponents capabilities. In real curling the changing ice conditions may also factor in.
I agree that in a 2-end (well, anything less than 8, really) game a lot of the long term strategy flies out the window. You can mitigate that a little by playing skins format in shorter matches.

Great post. All true.

Curling is like chess. You can't have 2 pawns and a queen each and try to play. It just doesn't work.
whitecrj,

That pretty much sums it up!

Mark,

Well explained...have to admit it does seem a bit screwy...but to seasoned curlers, it is hard to imagine any other way.

I guess the best way to look at it if it is hard to understand is: try to score as many points as you can when you 
have
 the hammer.  The steals are a bonus.

It doesn't help your confusion when the game tells you have "won" the end, after scoring a single with the hammer.
Thanks for all you opinions Hog Line has a good point to seasoned curlers its normal and ingrained but I Didn't even think of it but a set hammer could be a different game for curling. Like skins for example if someone wants to try it out let me know how it works if not I'll try it and if the game works I will have to call it Set Ends  
 hog_line_hacker

Mark,

It doesn't help your confusion when the game tells you have "won" the end, after scoring a single with the hammer.

That must confuse new curlers to the site or people that don't watch real curling.
I agree with Aiglon, it isn't FlyOrDie that makes the rules for curling, curling makes the rules for curling.
Maybe there can be an option (like skins format) which alternates hammer every end.  Any thoughts?
 Aiglon360:

Maybe there can be an option (like skins format) which alternates hammer every end. Any thoughts?

Skins format doesn't change the hammer every end either. If you win the skin by stealing, the other team keeps the hammer.

Why change rules at random? Why not move the hog lines closer together or make the rings smaller?
Mark:
>Skins format doesn't change the hammer every end either. If you win the skin by stealing, the other team keeps the hammer.

>Why change rules at random? Why not move the hog lines closer together or make the rings smaller?

I know it doesn't change every end in skins.  I was just thinking of an option to switch hammer every end.  An option like skins format in the tools section.  Just a little misunderstanding.

Aiglon360, I see what you meant now. A misunderstanding indeed. No matter, I would keep the rules the same if I had a vote.
when you blank and end you keep hammer