« Back to All Topics
Why?
Posted in 
Curling
Why?
Posted in 
Curling
Why?
Just enjoyed a close match with Siff. Tied at 4:4 going into the fourth/final end, and he/she won, with hammer. We had exchanged the usual pleasantaries at the start, then played without chatting.
Just as I released my final stone he/she started chatting - gg/ty etc. Am I the only one who finds this distracting and unsportsmanlike? To be fair he/she waited until I had "released" - all I was doing was assessing weight and deciding whether or not to sweep. In the end I overswept... :(
I know you can mute your opponent.
When I play, there's usually a lot of chat involved. It doesn't really bother me one bit in terms of upsetting my rhythm or whatever.
To be honest, the fact that he said gg/ty at all at the end is a sign of sportsmanship- there are many players who will just leave.
Not trying to be insensitive, I just don't think it's the most unsportsmanlike thing I've seen on here.
I think you are being overly sensitive to a small distraction.  It is neither unsportsmanlike or intended to distract; it is good manners, which are often scarce amongst players on here.  Lighten up.  It's a game.
Silliest post i've ever seen, nothing wrong with saying gg ty.
I think you mentioned that to me before Eve and I agree, the chat can be a distraction. I sometimes say "gg" a bit early just because a lot of the time, people leave so quickly.

Try not to let it bother you. 
Mark if the person kept chatting on i'd see the point but gg ty is hardly off putting nor unsportsmanlike.
 Wulliebhoy, I only said "the chat can be a distraction", as it can be.
Yes Mark it can be, that's why i've hardly any points lol. I talk too much in matches & nosey at everyone else's chat. I only said that gg & Ty is hardly too distracting though.
I agree with EveMuirhead!!! I have also played Siff and have experienced the same type of intentional distraction by him/her...even though it's a minor distraction, it's still intentional and seems unsportsmanlike. His/her comment always comes right before you throw a game winning shot OR in the middle of a game if you are about to throw a shot for multiple points. You know it's intended to be a distraction because who says gg in the 2nd end of a 4 end match, if the game is close? The way I handle this now when I play Siff, I just expect it to happen and take my time after he/she comments.
Eve said it happened in the last end & the last stone. Every opponent that I play whether its 6,8 or 10 ends I say gg Ty in the final end, sometimes at the start of it or even in the middle of it. None of my opponents have a problem with it. It is not intended to put them off. I suggest that you come into 1 of my matches with the crowd that follow me or the ones that I follow & then you'll know what chat is. Until then you've not got a clue. Seriously look me up or Rubiam, Jock Kuta, High Maintenance,Notjohnshuster, Nigree, Hogline Hacker, Canucko or dare I say it Sim Curling. The list goes on & on but until you see these guys all in the room chatting at the same time then you've seen nothing.
I consider it disrespectful to go into a match as a spectator and start filling up the screen with chat. I would only chat "silently" to a player I knew and would never do so while a player was playing a shot. 
Each to his/her own.

I'll just have to use the mute button more often.
Eve, You have no idea what distraction is. I was on my final stone on the last end of a game with a chance to get 3 or 4 to win the game and just as I was about to let go with the final stone the player revealed who he really was. I fell off my chair laughing and lost the game. I still laugh about it every time I think about it to this day. Now that's a distraction that really worked and I never ever considered yelling fowl. : > )
Disgraceful behaviour Jock, tell me who it was & I'll kick their butt :) As has been said for the people that don't like chat, mute button is there for a reason.
If you don't want any distractions while throwing your final stone - use the mute button.  Or drop/drag the game with the chat box off the screen.