« Back to All Topics
fair tournament system
Posted in 
Curling
fair tournament system
Posted in 
Curling
fair tournament system
Can anyone explain to me why I for the third year in almost every tournament have 1-2 hammer? 1 of 7 or 1 out of 8. And this happens several tournaments in a row. Can someone explain? Moderators, where are you?
can u explain why i VS u in tournament u had 8 hammers i had only 2 hammers vs YOU ? or u want tocry only for yourself CLOWN.
Thanks for the explanation. I understand that you're hurt that I've lost you only 1 time, while I have won 3. So keep your insults to yourself clown is you.
I vote for DSC before all matches. Like in real life.
u havent won 3 times u can lie how much u like u are poor player how is posible only vs me u to remove guards SCARED till the death u got from me . 
Rym, you always remove guards with hammer from beginning vs. me , in 1Skin game tourneys (OMG!) that’s boring and not really fair curling
I have an idea, let's stop fighting and take a whiskey?

Not always, Ann. But sometime I do that. Because this is a part of the game. If I need the high result I can to use break tactics. Look to canadian players, most part of them is shame bowlers, sorry, guys, but it's true. And almost everyone of them told me about this part of the game. It need to be a faur! :)
ok... Fabio, have you more whiskey? 
Yes, moving guards and taking them out is completely unfair. Shameful Canadians! :D

I would also like to call out the shameful Americans for dunking in basketball, the shameful Brazilians for striking the ball too hard in football, the shameful Austrians for going too fast in skiing, the shameful Chinese for putting too much spin on the ball in table tennis, the shameful English/Aussie/Indian cricketers for spin bowling, the shameful Germans for starting too fast in luge and of course the shameful Russians for castling all the time in Chess.

Fabio, pour me a double please :)

hi all 

whitecrj u forgot the swiss. the swiss are good in ... in ...ah - forget it.

:)
Its disgraceful the amount of players that complain about bowling. When are you people gonna realize that its part of the game & there must be something badly lacking in your own game if you do not have the ability to adapt your game to combat another players style. Sick of it being called shameful & after a game the other player is so unsportsmanlike, no gg but just says shameful bowler & leaves. Seriously wise up & learn the rules, people can use whatever strategy they choose.
A triple whiskey, Fabio, ty...
Craig! Not shameful canadiens, I said what most of them is shameful bowlers. Not everyone! Not you, not 4foot, but many players! But I must to play anyone! And anyone of them must to play against me. It's a normal, I use different tactics

Do any of these idiots that cry about bowling (and BTW, they are called take-outs)ever watch REAL COMPETITIVE curling or play in REAL LIFE for that matter? It is part of the game. But the MOST important part of the game is SPORTMANSHIP, and that is truly lacking from a small but very vocal minority on this site. GOOD CURLING everyone & feel free to try ANY strategy....that's what makes it interesting. I'll have a triple whisky now.
Good Night/Bon soir mes amis.

Sue...swiss are good in...making TOBLERONE! :-D 
Shamefully delicious triangles ;)
Rymata, I respect you as an excellent player and respect even more that you can take part in discussion in English (especially since my knowledge of Russian is zero). Referring to a takeout strategy as bowling, however, just makes no sense - it would be like referring to someone who castles in chess as a shameful high-jumper. Valoisman's comment have it pretty much on the button, so to speak, on all counts so I will simply echo his sentiments. 

I think part of the problem is that curling is a game of both skill and strategy, with the strategy extending to the full game, in terms of how to play any given end and where to position yourself for later ends. This means you might want to keep the house clean with a takeout strategy if you have a big lead, or clog things up with a lot of guards if you need to steal multiple points. You can generally assume that a good opponent will have an opposite strategy to yours - so if you are trying to establish guards, they are going to try to get rid of them. 

In a 1 or 2 end tournament game, however, that strategy counts for very little. Skins is used for 1 end games to eliminate the advantage of having hammer. Since the person with hammer needs only 2 points and is not trying for 3 or more, the tick/takeout strategy is well suited.

World class curling teams always have players adept at both takeouts and draws. A good takeout artist such as EJ Harnden (throwing 2nd for the Olympic champion Jacobs' team) gives their team an advantage over many others. 

Again, respectfully ask that those who complain about "bowling" do some research further into the game to gain some understanding so that we can all enjoy better competition. 

Speaking of competition, pour me a QUAD, fabio :)

Thanks for the comment, Craig! It so happened that about a bowling alley and cleaning here spoke AIANNA, and I even had to make excuses for my tactics. I don't like this tactic, but the game tournaments require victories and it is sometimes necessary to go to such tactics to get the desired result. For me, there are opponents that I can play complicated tactics, but there are uncomfortable players with whom I prefer open positions. But in any case, I try to use the entire range of my skills and tactics to win.
A triple whiskey and Toblerone! please :D 
To all you people saying'' have you ever watched real curling'' ''people can play any strategy they want'' etc. You guys cant compare online curling and real curling. Are u guys nuts? It's 2 different sports. If I want to split guards from 1st stone its easy for me to do it(not in real curling), we are all in here to play for fun and have a good match. It's not a good match if apponent split all ur guards. Im not in here to set up 80 guards in a 10 end match. Its not good to watch and not fun to play like this way. It's aunfair strategy in online. I have seen some players playing split guards strategy all the time, those players like to cheat, they have been blocked from FOD several times cus of dumping points etc. So why do they have this style? Best curlers in here LionKing3, Trout last 7-8 years i have been in here don't play split guards players. I have 15 thousands games in here so i know what im talking abt. YES all can play the strategy they want, and we all ned to split guards sometimes, but split guards from 1 st stone , stay away from me. TY. 
Minera, i dont like such style too but it doesnt mean i will insult the player and keep disturbing his game in the chat. And wouldn't say its another nick of the cheater when u dont have any prove to avoid insulting innocent player as you did.
With respect, as always, Minera, your are correct in saying that the online game is different than on real ice. One major difference is throwing heavy take out weight. For some reason the makers of FoD have decided that hard shots behave more unpredictably, while the opposite is true on real ice. Normally a good second could remove guards with doubles. This tends to compensate somewhat for the fact that tick shots are easier on FoD than on real ice. As much as you dislike the tick shot, I find the idea of 11 or 12 rocks in the house every end as boring and repetitive. I enjoy a good game of cat and mouse that takes place trying to establish control with guards equally as much as an open end in which the hammer is trying to blank. I won't (and can't) dictate that everyone use a particular strategy - rather, it is more interesting to try to counteract a strategy different than mine. Basically, your approach appears to be:
1) "I only want to play when everyone uses MY strategy" 
2) "Mommy...he moved my guards!"

Having said this, I hope we play again. I find our matches enjoyable as although you are slightly better than me, I occasionally win and the matches are generally close. If I feel the situation calls for a tick shot, though, I will use it. If you get bothered and it throws you off your game, heck, I will use it every time ;)

Another knowledgeable post Craig.  An end where you try to keep the house open for a draw is more interesting in my eyes to watch than an end without guards at all.  Minera, although I somewhat agree with your post, keep in mind that your opponent wants to win and will do anything to give themselves the best shot at doing so.  To complain about strategy means you do not have enough knowledge about the game.