Forums » Curling
Tournament Cheating
Replies: 5   Pages: 1   Most recent reply posted by: Pebbles (Mar 20, 2019 2:54 AM)
Welcome, Guest
Login
Guest Settings
 Reply to this Topic  Post New Topic  Search Forum

Back to Topic List

Replies: 5   Pages: 1  
Pebbles

Tournament Cheating Posted: Mar 20, 2019 2:54 AM
Hi everyone

I recently subscribed and just started playing in a few tournaments. All was fine and they were great fun, but tonight I encountered cheating, which was disappointing.

The player (Love Forever) had won the first of two ends, and then quit before second end so they were guaranteed a win.

I don't at all mind losing - I'm used to it lol.. but players using this sort of exploit leaves a bad taste in the mouth. I've emailed moderators so I hope action will be taken, but also wanted to warn people here about the unsporting behaviour.

Cheers,
Pebbles

Zumbarumba

Re: Tournament Cheating Posted: Mar 20, 2019 6:24 PM
Hi Pebbles

This is not cheating in the narrower sense, but shows lack of sportsmanship. Players like Go˛B`13/12/11 (very often) and svh12 (sometimes) act that way.

The system wants to be well balanced, but fails in this case. I suggest this counting: 15 for every win, 5 for every tie, 5 for every game, and setting a maximum amount of games allowed to be played.

The moderators exist, not less, not more. I am very sure they were the inspiration for the proverb "lean on others and you'll fall". Go and https://cdn.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/258394/81773591. jpg , you only learn the hard way

Credit where credit is due

Wulliebhoy

Re: Tournament Cheating Posted: Mar 20, 2019 10:27 PM
Hi Pebbles, it happens all the time & no action will be taken. He must’ve been far enough ahead in the match or it would’ve been awarded to you. I’ve been 3-0 down & the player quits & gets awarded the match, it annoys me cos I think that I might’ve made a comeback. Cheating I dunno but bad sportsmanship most certainly.

Pebbles

Re: Tournament Cheating Posted: Mar 21, 2019 10:08 AM
Thanks for your replies, guys.

Wullie - yes, exactly the same scenario for me. Lost 3 first end and player quit, knowing I'd only be awarded a 2. In all likelihood I would have lost the match anyway but I'd rather have been able to try to pull back the deficit in the second end.

In a more general sense, it seems like the solution is simple? If a player quits a tournament match before the end they should automatically lose that match.

I haven't received any acknowledgement of my email from the moderators so unfortunately it looks as if the cynicism towards their lack of management is correct. Which is a shame, as it basically creates a Wild West where people can do what they like.

Oh well. Live and learn eh

Wulliebhoy

Re: Tournament Cheating Posted: Mar 21, 2019 11:45 PM
Yeah if they quit they should lose the match unless there are not enough rocks left for you to win. I’ve also been 3-0 down & tied or won the match. It seems an unfair way & I’m sure they could do something to change it but I suspect that they won’t.

AIYANNA

Re: Tournament Cheating Posted: Mar 22, 2019 8:02 PM

Running from a match could be sanctioned as wullie says.
Running from the entire tournament, 5-20 minutes before as some familiar types do, could be sanctioned by deducting points from their overall tournament points. For example, a player with 40 points who stops / runs out of the tournament with 15 minutes remaining will lose 1 point x minute = 15 points. At the very end he will stand with 25 points!

Replies: 5   Pages: 1  

Back to Topic List      Top of the page