Tournament Cheating
Posted in 
Curling
Tournament Cheating
Posted in 
Curling
Tournament Cheating
Hi everyone :)

I recently subscribed and just started playing in a few tournaments. All was fine and they were great fun, but tonight I encountered cheating, which was disappointing.

The player (Love Forever) had won the first of two ends, and then quit before second end so they were guaranteed a win. 

I don't at all mind losing - I'm used to it lol.. but players using this sort of exploit leaves a bad taste in the mouth. I've emailed moderators so I hope action will be taken, but also wanted to warn people here about the unsporting behaviour.

Cheers,
Pebbles
Hi Pebbles

This is not cheating in the narrower sense, but shows lack of sportsmanship. Players like Go˛B`13/12/11 (very often) and svh12 (sometimes) act that way.

The system wants to be well balanced, but fails in this case. I suggest this counting: 15 for every win, 5 for every tie, 5 for every game, and setting a maximum amount of games allowed to be played. 

The moderators exist, not less, not more. I am very sure they were the inspiration for the proverb "lean on others and you'll fall". Go and 
https://cdn.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/258394/81773591.jpg
 , you only learn the hard way ;-) 

Credit where credit is due
Hi Pebbles, it happens all the time & no action will be taken. He must’ve been far enough ahead in the match or it would’ve been awarded to you. I’ve been 3-0 down & the player quits & gets awarded the match, it annoys me cos I think that I might’ve made a comeback. Cheating I dunno but bad sportsmanship most certainly.
Thanks for your replies, guys.

Wullie - yes, exactly the same scenario for me. Lost 3 first end and player quit, knowing I'd only be awarded a 2. In all likelihood I would have lost the match anyway but I'd rather have been able to try to pull back the deficit in the second end.

In a more general sense, it seems like the solution is simple? If a player quits a tournament match before the end they should automatically lose that match.

I haven't received any acknowledgement of my email from the moderators so unfortunately it looks as if the cynicism towards their lack of management is correct. Which is a shame, as it basically creates a Wild West where people can do what they like.

Oh well. Live and learn eh :)
Yeah if they quit they should lose the match unless there are not enough rocks left for you to win. I’ve also been 3-0 down & tied or won the match. It seems an unfair way & I’m sure they could do something to change it but I suspect that they won’t.

Running from a match could be sanctioned as wullie says.
Running from the entire tournament, 5-20 minutes before as some familiar types do, could be sanctioned by deducting points from their overall tournament points. For example, a player with 40 points who stops / runs out of the tournament with 15 minutes remaining will lose 1 point x minute = 15 points. At the very end he will stand with 25 points!