« Back to All Topics
Constant Poor Connections
Posted in 
Curling
Posted in 
Curling
Don Tico, a Senior Moderator, suggested I come here. For the entire time I've come to this site (about 18 months - I believe) my connection SPUTTERS 80 - 90 % of the time. As I release the mouse button, the cursor still jumps ahead...or the cursor will stop sometimes, before I've released the mouse button. Obviously, it is next to impossible to play this game well, when one's connection is constantly SPUTTERING. I've tried many, many things but NOTHING ever improves. Several other players have tried to help me but, again, NOTHING helps. Many players on the site now recognize me as "The Guy With The Bad Connection." They always ask me about my connection...because even they now know how bad it is for me most times. I cannot put into words hoe FRUSTRATING this site is for me. I've curled for over 20 years, in Canada & love the sport...but trying to play on this site is ABSOLUTE CRUELTY for me, most times. HELP!! Thanks.
If your mouse cursor (the white arrow) is behaving erratically then it's not your connection.
You may want to try replacing your mouse.
If you can see HDD activity (usually indicated by a LED light) while your cursor "jumps" then your system might be low on memory too.

This issue has NOTHING to do with my mouse, it is less than a year old. In addition to the cursor 'jumping' or 'freezing' when my system is in it's 'SPUTTERING' state, as it is most times, it can take 4 or 5 minutes for a rock to make it's way down the ice. I'll click the mouse, and hold it, then release it...and the rock will move a foot or two, then the screen freezes...10 or 20 seconds later the screen will 'thaw out' & the rock will move another few inches...then the screen will freeze again. This will continue for several minutes as the rock moves down the ice a few inches, or feet at a time.During the course of a single rock, making it's way down the ice, the screen may 'freeze' & then 'thaw out' as many as 15 or 20 times! This is not a mouse issue. It is obviously a poor connection with this site.
" the cursor still jumps ahead...or the cursor will stop sometimes"

IF you are referring to the mouse cursor (the white pointer arrow) THEN it has nothing to do with network connection.
The game cannot stop the mouse cursor even if it wanted to.

Are you referring to the broom as the cursor while aiming (not following your mouse pointer)?

Also, you can try connecting another machine (a friend's laptop) to the same network and check if the problem can be reproduced.

Sounds like memory or an outdated video card! Do your opponents rocks ''stutter'', also?
I do not experience the issues WinstonPHD is describing.
My connection is about 98% percent perfect on here.
Another possibility is you have HTTP connection enabled.
HTTP connection may cause similar effects depending on your router / firewall / proxy settings.
Please make sure you have a direct connection to the game server. (Uncheck the http option when connecting to the room.)
If your firewall / router is blocking direct connection then open up port 4989.
First, to clarify terminology that I've used, the 'POWER INDICATOR' is what I've been referring to as the 'CURSOR.' Hopefully that will put you on the right track. Toss out any of your previous references to 'the white arrow, or the broom' as obviously, that has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with regards to why my system SPUTTERS, FREEZES & often just simply DISCONNECTS. As I've stated, this is an issue with the site itself, not allowing my operating system to operate as intended. Last night I tried to play 6 ends, just to test things out and the SPUTTERING, FREEZING etc. was WORSE THAN EVER! Obviously I was unable to compete on a level playing field & have now lost about 150 ratings points in less than 36 hours! I don't know if you can relate to the CONSTANT FRUSTRATION that this site causes me. From Oct. 1 to Nov. 15, I played about 400 gruelling ends to move my ratings points up by 50 or 60. Then, in 36 hours, I lost 150 points...98 % of which was caused by connection issues from this site!! During those six ends last night, of the 48 rocks that I threw, I had a decent connection for 6 or 7 deliveries. The other 40+ times the POWER INDICATOR "JUMPED", "FROOZE" or the entire screen just "LOCKED UP" during my attempts to deliver a rock. For those of you who come on board & say, "I don't have these problems," I ALREADY KNOW THAT!! That's why I'm the one reporting this. Those comments don't provide ANY SOLUTION to MY SITUATION. Hopefully a MODERATOR with a genuine knowledge of what I am experiencing with respond with some CONCRETE IDEAS for a SOLUTION. Thanks...
Re "CONCRETE IDEAS":
Did you check the HTTP setting?
Throw your computer on to CONCRETE and get a new one?
You can monitor your network connection using Windows' built in performance tools. (Settings / Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Performance...)
Add (+) the performance object "TCP" / counter "Segments Retransmitted/sec" to the graph and remove all others. Set scaling to 1,0. You should see zero value most of the time there.
When your connection SPUTTERS the retransmission rate should go up.
Possible causes:

- faulty network cable (between router and ISP's outlet)

- faulty wifi router

- faulty wifi network card

- bad wifi reception:
-- too far from router 
-- bad antenna positioning
-- another wifi router is interfering (switch channel)
-- some electronic device is interfering
-- bad weather

- wifi network is used by another device
-- cell phone / tablet
-- another PC (neighbour / relatives)
-- network is unprotetected / freejackers

- network is used by another software in the background
-- torrent
-- skype (even if not chatting skype may relay 3rd party network)
-- internet radio
-- virus/malware etc.

Hope you GET A SOLUTION WinstonPHD
This seems a pretty good source of inexpensive IT support!
Let's establish some basics:
- Using Windows, or other OS (i.e. Mac OSX, which I can assist with perhaps)?
- What browser (if Windows, still using IE, or something else like FireFox)?
- Regardless of browser, have you tried emptying the cache, or clearing all the Flyordie and/or Playcurling cookies?
- AntiVirus software running? Can you edit it accordingly to always accept Flyordie and/or Playcurling sites?

I really do hope you can get this resolved, WinstonPHD. I play as guest on my home computer since it has limitations, but still acceptable. Playing at work is incredible. I also am an avid curler and this game is great for working on strategies, and a great way to meet players around the world.

c²
It has been nearly 2 weeks since my original posting regarding my connection issues. I very much appreciate the suggestions offered by the moderators, or whomever, in the latest postings. I have not responded to those tips yet because of a VERY UNUSUAL SITUATION that occurred, just a day or two, after the information had been posted. Out of "nowhere" a new 'network connection' appeared in my choices of network connections. I don't know if a neighbouring residence switched thier internet provider, or what, but for the first time EVER...this new network connection appeared as an option. I tried it and my system ran much smoother than it ever has. It is not an HTTP sesured site, and a few people have mentioned that it is not a good idea to be connected to an unsecured site. However, it seems to provide a much smoother connection. However, in the past 3 or 4 days, I have experienced some difficulty...the SPUTTERING, JUNPIMG & FREEZING has  popped up again, although not quite as frequently as it had with my regular connection. I should point out that I have ABSOLUTELY "ZERO" knowledge about computers. I got my very first computer about 30 months ago, a used laptop that someone gave to me. I had to have someone "set up everything" for me...I honestly didn't even know how to turn it on or off! If I encounter any problems, I have to get someone to help me - I can't even find the keys that would take me to the sites to change or repair any of the settings. I rent a portion of a large house. The owner has his own internet connection & has a few computers running on that connection, including a part-time, home-based business. I am merely "piggybacked" on that system - I do not have my own internet provider. My monthly rent includes internet service...provided by the landlord's personal internet provider. I will try some of the suggestions that you were kind enough to provide (provided I can get someone to do those things for me.)Even posting this message is painstaking for me, as it's taken nearly 45 minutes to write this, with my "One Fingered Typing Skills."
Hey WinstonPHD,
Another thing you might try, is a 3G/mobile Pay-as-you-go USB internet dongle - instead of your shared internet connection. If it is the connection, it would surely be better.
It might end up expensive, but it might be worth it for you.

Eve 
Hi Winston,
I see from the other thread you started, that you still haven't sorted out your connection problems. Have you tried this:

Another thing you might try, is a 3G/mobile Pay-as-you-go USB internet dongle - instead of your shared internet connection. If it is the connection, it would surely be better.
It might end up expensive, but it might be worth it for you.
?

Eve