« Back to All Topics
thinking time
Posted in 
Go
thinking time
Posted in 
Go
thinking time
I just played a guy who refused to resign today.  He ran out the whole 40 minutes of his time.  This is the main reason I rarely play Go here.

Please bring the "thinking time" clock to Go.  Like introduced in Curling and then Backgammon.

15 second "shot clock" plus "thinking time" of;
3 minutes for 9x9
5 minutes for 13x13
10 minutes for 19x19

would do nicely.

Also please see:

http://forum.flyordie.com/thread.jsp?forum=12&thread=125382

Thanks
Hello,
Go is not exactly the same kind of game as curling erjc. Curling doesn't need much thinking time, Go is called a strategy game. Where a players ability to read ahead an often decide who wins the game. Being able to have time to think can make the game more enjoyable. You don't have to use all the time, but you can't limit everyone's time limit just because you have a different opinion. Instead of putting a ten second "shot clock" maybe it would be better to just make the time system changeable in the options. Then you can play your blitz games, as fast as you want. 
As for your opponent refusing to resign, resigning is an option. No one has to resign, and they have a preset amount of time which they can do what ever they want with.   Most people move within a reasonable amount of time but to limit everyone thinking time would destroy FOD's go room. I would likely leave, and I would guess many other would also. Maybe they should add another room for something like "bullet go". 
KBAD out
Honestly, this would ruin the game.
Do you know how much time professionals spend playing Go? there's a reason.
I'm sorry you encountered someone who was stubborn, but just because there are players like that, doesn't mean the game should be changed to accommodate them if it comes at this price.
The fact is, even if the clock was changed, there would still be players who played faster then you, and didn't resign until your clock ran up, and you lose by time.
There's no way around people like that, but I find that there are more people playing honest Go than that.
Time, marking stones, I hate to say it, but in the end online Go is an honor game. 
Sorry, I should have said;

He ran out the whole 40 minutes of his time 
before he played his 50'th stone

Working out the numbers:

In a typical Go game, a player plays 100 to 160 stones.  At 15 seconds per move, that makes 25 to 40 minutes.  Add the 10 minutes "thinking time" and you see my proposed times are more generous than the "sudden death" time system we have now.

Thanks

It seems my use of "shot clock" for "byo-yomi" or "countdown" or "period" confused some.

To clarify, here is the Wikipedia page on Time_control and more appropriately the "Simple delay" Overtime format 
successfully
 used here in other games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_control#Compensation_.28delay_methods.29

Thanks
Hello, 
Just because we disagree does not mean that your proposed time change confused anyone. I fully understand what you are saying. I just don't feel it's a good change on the site. No matter how you explain it. This is my opinion and after speaking to multiple people it seems that it's a lot of other people opinion also. Keep your "shot clock" idea in Backgammon and Curling, it probably works out well there. There is no reason to fix what isn't broken in the Go room. The player that caused you to want this change was obviously stalling which if you read the rules of use it's against the rules. That the persons name and report them. Don't try to ruin the Go room for the rest of us. We understand that you don't like playing long games. I've heard you complain in the lobby about people being to slow and you not wanting to play them. Which tells me that this is a matter of personal preference not an actual fix for the site. 
Also just because someone disagrees with you gives you no reason to seek them out tell them they are wrong, and then accuse them of being a troll because they have a different opinion than you. Many of us use this site have fun and have no problem with the times limit. You are the only person on here I've ever heard complain about it. From our conversation earlier when you received my "blah" opinion. I told you that one of the more enjoyable parts of this site was that while playing a game of go you had ample time to talk to your friends and still get done with the game in a timely fashion. As you stated you feel that people should not be able to talk. sorry this seems to be more of a family friendly, and friend oriented website. Please FOD do not change the time system in the go room to one that is used in curling. And again, I am not "confused", and unlike what you previously told me I am "thinking". It's just an opinion don't condemn others for their opinion.
KBAD out~