« Back to All Topics
Suggestion: Modification to the ELO system
Posted in 
Go
Posted in 
Go
The current ELO system lacks fairness to a certain extent and also lacks accuracy.
-A player can repeatedly play against low rating players to attain the same rating as a player that had played high rating players to achieve the same thing. This lacks fairness.
-The problem mentioned above also leads to another problem, a large discrepancy between player skill and player rating.

Suggestion/Solution to first problem:
A second system that resets or lowers the rating of players  that are continuously facing opponents with ratings that are less than 1/2 their own (for predetermined amount of consecutive matches)

It would be more fair to players that compete with a high skill level to remain with a high rating.
It would also promote competition between players of similar ratings.

This modification can be applied to all (or most) of the games, not just Go.

With best of intentions,
Oliver
If they were going to make a real ELO system, they'd first have to remove the automatic daily substraction of points. 
This has nothing to do with skill, so it's quite a bit of noise added to the rating system.

Also, it would have to account for handicap.

And I think the time allowed for reconnect is much to short. When I get disconnected, it can take up to a minute (sometimes two) to reconnect. By the time I get reconnected I often find that I lost the game and lost many points. This has nothing to do with skill, only with the shortness of the time allowed for reconnect. That would also add a lot of noise to the rating system.
There has been some chatter about the ranking system, however Flyordie does have a pretty stable system. I play a lot of Go, in real life and online, and I have come to notice that the ratings in the game are a bit different, however the point is to make the interface more user friendly, considering that children also play the game and would have difficulty understanding more advanced ranking systems.

If you really want to challenge yourself in the game just pick higher ranked players to challenge. In all fairness the game rating system does in fact have to some standard a fair rating system for game loss to game win ratios.

I hope you come to see the point in this, there isn't much that can be done.