How are the levels decided?
Posted in 
Go
Posted in 
Go
Hi, I'm from S.Korea.
I came to know this wonderful site days ago.
After enjoying a few games, I also came to wonder how the players' skills are described in the US.
Here in S.Korea, we have from 18geup to 1geup, and then from 1dan to 7dan for amateurs(18geup is the lowest level, and 7dan the highest) and from 1dan to 9dan for the pros(9dan is for the most experienced ones). Of course 'dan' for the pros is definitely different from 'dan' for amateurs. An amateur 7dan just can't ever beat a pro 1dan.

I see 10k, 20k, and so on from others' messages and just have no idea how those signs are organized..

Anybody can help me understand those?

There are so many different rating organizations, and the levels usually don't translate exactly from one to another. There are European, Chinese, Korean, Taiwanese, and Japanese rating organizations, plus all of the internet go sites like IGS, KGS, etc. Someone who is 2 dan on one system might only be 2 gup/kyu on another - so it is all very approximate. Plus, there are many others who play who don't have a ranking from ANY system, and often they just guess how strong they are, based on how well they do against other players of a known rank.

This site uses an arbitrary number/color system based purely on the results of games played on this site. However, many players manipulate their ranks to get an either artificially high or low number. This is done easily - there are some players who will only play against beginners - so they win every game they play and get a high number, even though they have a low level of go skill. Others have learned how to "cheat" by playing to win by using the time limit, rather than skill. Another player might deliberately lose games in order to keep the rank artificially low. So while sometimes there is a correlation between one's numerical rank and go skill, it is not always the case.