« Back to All Topics
Doubling on First Move
Posted in 
Backgammon
Doubling on First Move
Posted in 
Backgammon
Doubling on First Move
Is anyone else annoyed with players who double on the first move?  Surely the doubling cube is used when you are in a good position and you give your opponent the option to double or quit.  By doubling on the first move it shows you are just interested in ramping up your points, rather than any skill in the game.
i agree really annoying it just shows an inability to assess the odds of it being worth doing.but hey thats gambling.some do it clever some stupid.u can always leave rather than accept but yes i hate it.
oh That is so bad. Even one guy was giving me swears. He was expecting everybody to double to have at least 4 points for each game. It was very bad!
Yes this is a problem. The real life Turkish version of backgammon don't have doubling  and most Turkish players are not familiar with this rule. They think it is not apt to double once the game has started. And they become annoyed if one doubles later in the game.

I have tried to explain to them how and when double should take place but it falls to deaf ears unless the operator explains this rule to people in general. 
When this happens, I double on my next move.  
They wish points above all else. Beat them Once and they will leave.