« Back to All Topics
Double ettiquette
Posted in 
Backgammon
Double ettiquette
Posted in 
Backgammon
Double ettiquette
Only started playing recently.  Some questions.  
1.  Ive got 5 anchors in a row and opponent has 1 piece trapped.  I offer double.  Opponent says Im not supposed to do that.  This has happened more then once.  Is there an ettiquet to doubling that I dont understand?

2.  How are points awarded?  If i win by lots or little does that effect the points?  If the opponent is ranked far higher does that effect?

3.  When resigning sometimes a gammon is given sometimes its not.  How is that calculated?
If it is a one point game doubling should not be allowed. Some players will follow this etiquette - many do not.
However, if you follow the etiquette you get exploited by players who are just out to elevate their rating artificially.

On this site, for some reason, doubling in a one point game is allowed - which is why you get players doubling on the first throw without any thought or consideration of a possible winning position. This is not right or even remotely fair - but these things never change even when they are clearly wrong.

If you ignore rating points as they are a worthless guide and look at win ratio instead - you get a far better idea of what type of player you are up against

Also, do not expect a response from the site operators or developers.
How do you determine if its a 1 point game or not?
Most games require only one point to win

Those that do not have a number next to player's name indicating the number of points required to win the game

No number at all is still just a one point game
Then most games don't require 1 point as most people aren't subscribed to fly or die so they don't have the option.

You rarely see a 1 beside a name, so you should take each game as it comes. Always expect someone to double. If a game in nearing its conclusion I feel I've a around a  60% chance to win I'll double.

I also wouldn't get too worked up if someone doubled on the first roll. The same odds of me winning apply so it doesn't bother me. It evens itself out anyway. 
The clue is in the original post - etiquette

There are those on this site that just exploit the flaws and omissions that are very obvious

Which is quite simply nothing to do with etiquette

Whether such exploitation is a desirable attribute is down to personal choice - it is certainly falls well short of etiquette