The REAL truth about random dice
Posted in 
Backgammon
Posted in 
Backgammon
Greetings Fellow Gammon Players:

I have read many, many posts regarding the alleged "fixed" dice in a scheme to undermine individual players.  The closer truth is nothing more than sour grapes.  Anyone having first hand knowledge of super computers, exponential computations and basic math can easily understand random number generators; it's not that complicated.  

A "rigged" game would require human intervention into each and every game; trust me, you aren't that special.  One player claims that members get 58% more doubles than non-members and claims to have a program to measure such.  Yet, he can't explain what is meant by 58%.

Here's the bottom line in reality:  Dice Have No Memory - you never know what comes next.  However, it is fair to say that all combinations will appear at least 3 times during any given game.

GG & GL,

Dr. Gammon

Hi Dr, 

do you play sometimes Backgammon or just read the posts?

I suggest,  play a few times, then you will see that the dices are manipulated.

Hi Dr. Gammon,
There could be different randomization types.  I suspect that randomization program uses game information (stats of players, players time spent during the game, if there is double or not, etc.)  It cannot be manupulated by operators but there could be a feedback from game to the randomization program.  I strongly suspect that some players have found out how it works and they use it for their benefit.
-kristal

Of course I play and play often.  Do you think the "dices" are cheating when you win the game?
DG
Randomization programs?  I don't think you quiet understand the specifics of a random generator.  Each die is random.  It's silly to think otherwise and only the losers complain.  Winners attribute their victory to personal skill.

DG
Weird dice rolls happen all the time. I doubt cheating happens much unless the game is for money.
The real truth is that the dice conspire to make the game last as long as possible whenever I'm desperate for the toilet.
Right: But if you calculate on at the 36 sample survey, you are allways offered, you gain many % in winning chances from the ones, who just think, they can do the smartest move without calculating at all. That´s why there is a meaning in having a world champignon in BG. BUT: IF tthe real sample survey shows just a little wrong, you can not use your calculating abillity AT ALL.... And that I find frustating!
It would be a nightmare to program rigged dice; there's no reason for the programmers to do it. A lot of the nonsense written about it is due to: (1) we tend to remember coincidences and forget non-coincidences; (2) we remember luck working against us more easily than luck working for us; (3) poor players think they are just unlucky; (4) the probabilities of dice rolls are often misunderstood. For an excellent guide see www.paulspages.co.uk/bgvaults/tips/dicerolls.php

It´s nice to see, that at least 1 of my writings now have reaches the forum. I wonder where my other writings are: The ones, which was very specific on the critic on the randomisationproblem on this site? Who have denied it to be shown? Have others than me the same problem?
To be honest, all of my totics have now been shown: And that´s good for a start!
It's getting a bit much now.
Just played someone who is obviously new to the game as it took them 45 seconds to decide what to do with an opening 6/5.
20 pips ahead and I threw a double five which enabled me to run for home. 
I stood no chance.
That´s how it can be in 1 game - maybe 20-30 throwes. The truth can only be reached be examin - let´s say 5000 throwes. - I´ve did this twice and found, that the rate of 6-6 in both samples was 70-100% over the mathematic counting: 1/36 ... Try yourself - it would be VERY interesting to se your results. There is several ways to make stats, but this is very simpe!
Regards
BD 
Yes, I know and acknowledge when the dice are favoring me.
Just try a simpel one: 6-6 when you are send off: 
Should occur 1/36 of the time. Then count all the accidents, where you are send off until you reach a great number... Let´s say 2000: You should now have reached almost 55,5 observations of 6-6... But I am pretty sure, that you in fact have reached 100 or more by then !! 

And why somebody will ask: Because this site gains from having many "players" (money from commercials etc.)...Mostly newcomers. By giving them a good chance to improve there ratings, they will stay longer and learn better to know the game. Therefore it is very need to "create" more voluntile games. And this is where this greater amount of 6-6 comes in very convinient... Because 6-6 better than any other throw makes the game voluntile: Either you gain from a 6-6 - or you loose!! -Does this make any sense to you?
Sometimes I am very very lucky for many games. Once my rating was more than 800. Then I started yo lose and lose. I was so repeatedly unlucky that my rating went down to zero in a few weeks. It was not ramdom at all!!!
you are absolutely correct.
the random number generator is not completely random
there are way too many 6 6 
there are several repeat rolls, the same 3 and 4 times in a roll. that would be statistically impossible.
by the time you have played 10000 games, you see the patterns emerging, and there does seem to be a bias for making the game more "exciting" but all it does is ruin it for realistic play
I think the dice are random.  The average game has a total of 75-100 rolls if played to the finish without resigning.  That being said, 2 - 3 sets of ALL doubles would be observed in any given game.  Do they occur more frequently from time to time; of course.  It would take at least 100,000 rolls to obtain an unbiased trend analysis which none of us wish to take time to do.  However, if extra 66, 55 etc are interjected into the dice, I don't think the server knows which player will get them.  If this is the case, then it's still fair but not necessarily random.  Does that make sense my friend?    Good Rolling, Dave
I have been playing backgammon since I was kid (I am 56).  I subscribed here few months ago and in a few weeks my rating was more than 400. Then, my rating varied from 300 to 400 for a couple of weeks. It seemed OK. 
Then, all of a sudden, I started to lose. Lose and lose. Many times it seemed to be impossible to lose, but suddenly my dices become terrible, and I lost again and again. I lost 16 times in a row!! And my rate went down to almost zero. No, it was NOT random!!!!!
My (bad) experience: my rating reached 580 in a couple of months, and stayed around 400 for 1 month. My Wins were sort of the same quantity of losses. All of a sudden, I began to lose, lose and lose. Today I have played 4 times and lost them all. Yesterday and many days before: the same pattern. My rating now is 132. How is it random? I was a good player and now I am a bad one? No. Dices are NOT random.
Today in a game the last 10-12 moves from the other player were 8 dices.
Thats flyordie server at best. What sense it make to play then and its not OK we waste time for that?
We should complain for that on flyordie because no player is according with that! I wont win with so much dices, because its poor and not fair!