Forums » Backgammon
The REAL truth about random dice
Replies: 18   Pages: 2   Most recent reply posted by: Dr. Gammon (Jan 4, 2018 2:15 AM)
Welcome, Guest
Login
Guest Settings
 Reply to this Topic  Post New Topic  Search Forum
  Back to Topic List
Replies: 18   Pages: 2   [ Go: « 1 2 ]
backgammondude

Re: The REAL truth about random dice Posted: Nov 20, 2018 9:18 PM
Just try a simpel one: 6-6 when you are send off:
Should occur 1/36 of the time. Then count all the accidents, where you are send off until you reach a great number... Let´s say 2000: You should now have reached almost 55,5 observations of 6-6... But I am pretty sure, that you in fact have reached 100 or more by then !!

And why somebody will ask: Because this site gains from having many "players" (money from commercials etc.)...Mostly newcomers. By giving them a good chance to improve there ratings, they will stay longer and learn better to know the game. Therefore it is very need to "create" more voluntile games. And this is where this greater amount of 6-6 comes in very convinient... Because 6-6 better than any other throw makes the game voluntile: Either you gain from a 6-6 - or you loose!! -Does this make any sense to you?

luizsp4

Re: The REAL truth about random dice Posted: Mar 24, 2019 11:53 PM
Sometimes I am very very lucky for many games. Once my rating was more than 800. Then I started yo lose and lose. I was so repeatedly unlucky that my rating went down to zero in a few weeks. It was not ramdom at all!!!

bushape

Re: The REAL truth about random dice Posted: Apr 13, 2019 1:02 AM
you are absolutely correct.
the random number generator is not completely random
there are way too many 6 6
there are several repeat rolls, the same 3 and 4 times in a roll. that would be statistically impossible.
by the time you have played 10000 games, you see the patterns emerging, and there does seem to be a bias for making the game more "exciting" but all it does is ruin it for realistic play

John Lennon

Re: The REAL truth about random dice Posted: Apr 21, 2019 5:16 PM
I think the dice are random. The average game has a total of 75-100 rolls if played to the finish without resigning. That being said, 2 - 3 sets of ALL doubles would be observed in any given game. Do they occur more frequently from time to time; of course. It would take at least 100,000 rolls to obtain an unbiased trend analysis which none of us wish to take time to do. However, if extra 66, 55 etc are interjected into the dice, I don't think the server knows which player will get them. If this is the case, then it's still fair but not necessarily random. Does that make sense my friend? Good Rolling, Dave

Replies: 18   Pages: 2   [ Go: « 1 2 ]
  Back to Topic List      Top of the page