« Back to All Topics
Unfair doubling?
Posted in 
Backgammon
Unfair doubling?
Posted in 
Backgammon
Unfair doubling?
I want to be fair and friendly, but I have annoyed a new member who joined yesterday. 1st game I developed a strong position and offered a double, expecting her to resign, but she accepted and lost. 2nd game her position was strong so she wanted to double; as I was likely to lose I resigned. She says I am an unfair player. Am I unfair? I want to win fairly without upsetting people, especially new ones. Advice requested!
You are not being unfair at all. Using the doubles as you have done is part and parcel of the game. It sounds like your opponent doesn't understand the nature and complexity of this game.
Thanks hnhreno, I agree. Perhaps next time I spot that a player's new, if I want to double I will first ask if he/she will mind if I use doubling for advantage.
I've been in the same situation a number of times.  Sometimes when I double I get a very negative reaction from the other player.  I've given up trying to explain that doubling is a standard part of the game (actually my favorite part, much more interesting than just watching the dice roll).  If a person objects to doubling, I just mute them and get on with my life.