« Back to All Topics
Backgammon scoring & stuff
Posted in 
Backgammon
Posted in 
Backgammon
Someone help me out here. I simply don't understand how the score is calculated here. I've been playing backgammon for years and always the score is based on how many stones your opponent has left after you have bared off your last one, let's say the standard value of a stone is 5 points, then double x 2 will be 10 points, double x 4 20 points and so on. Here, I have entered games with XXX points, lost a double x 2 game and won a double  4 game and come out with two points less than I had when I started, how does that work? I have won games doubled to the value of 32 and only been 18 points better off, what's that?

Also, I have never played by rules that say the game can start with a double. The way I understood the game to start is that each player rolls 1 dice each and in the event that both get the same number they throw again until they have two different numbers then the player with the higher number takes the shot.

I've been playing with a board for years, I throw real dice out of a real cup, to throwing 6 & 6 is something you celebrate, it just doesn't happen all that much but here, I've had 6 & 63 times in a row! The worst ever game I had here was doubled by a value of 32, I had 3 stones off before my opponent was even ready to start baring off, he got 6 & 6, then 5 & 5, then 4 & 4 and finished off with 3 & 3. he then proceeded to send my lines full of smiley faces in the message box. Now, tell me that's random!
This has just happened to me, no joke. My oponent has positions 4 and 6 covered in his home table, he hits me, my first spin 6 & 6, my second spin, 6 & 6, my third spin 4 & 4 and my forth spin 6 & 6, needless to say I slammed the door in frustration. The only thing random about these numbers is which of the two players is going to get them!
RAndom dice? having an absolute laugh.
I'd love to have an answer about your scoring question - I am equally mystified by that.

Regarding the first roll, I agree that choosing the starting playing randomly is a mistake from the game's developers - but there is a version that allows people to re-throw the first roll if they want, and doubling the cube (it stays neutral).