safe break
Posted in 
Billiards
safe break
Posted in 
Billiards
safe break
this is a topic for the 8 and 9ball players
whats ur opinion about the safe way for breaking?i mean the one that the cue ball hits the two edges of the table and the the balls from behind
i think thats its cool and myself i use it a lot,mainly when i m playing vs skilled opponents
i think its sad and for the crap players...like u. the ones who cant shoot so go safe coz ther scared of losing there points in 8ball i dont mind but 9ball its not hard to get out of but its dam annoying.
It's very sad and annoying.

I think FOD should make a rule so you have to make two balls hit a cushion in both 8 and 9ball.
Yea but giving you just a free shot is not a a real penalty. Sinse you have no shots its like passing the break.
well i m not a bad player.if u want to see that come to play 8ball with me.

i never play 9ball and i i do i dont break like that.i use this sort of break only in 8ball.

for all of u who said that this is no good break:
i dont know if u re good at fod,but u ll never be good enough in pool in real life.coz pool isnt only potting balls.is also strategy.but u dont know how to play with strategy and most of u also dont know the spins actually and u just pot balls.i ve seen that many times by amateurs as well as 300+ players
What does that have to do with real life? The strategy for breaking in 8 ball (both UK and US versions) is to break them up (watch the pros if you don't believe me). If you think a soft break is skillful you are wrong - all it does is slows down the game. Anyway, the rules require that at least 4 balls hit rails, or else one ball goes in. How do you achieve that with a soft break?
a skillful player is a player that can play well with any set of rules.in real life it s not allowed to break like that.but here it is.and if u re a really badlucked person like me u would surely use it.here it s consider as safe and its surely not for the crap players.u can choose not to use this sort of break,but u cant swear the others if they do coz thats their style

its like o sullivan and henry.one is agrassive and the other one more defensive waiting for the right moment while o sullivan forces the right moment to come.but this doesnt mean that one of them isnt a good player
Neither of the two players you mentioned play 8 ball.

You're right about one thing - the more skilled players can play in any circumstance. When a less than good player tries to kill the game with bad tactics it doesn't increase their chances of winning, but just slows the game down. It's not clever.

Actually two things - I never complained about you playing this way, just about your thoughts that it is more skillful. I agree that you should be allowed to play your own game wether it's good or bad. It's pathetic that people try to tell you otherwise.
i know that they play snooker.but it was an example

i didnt said that it is more skillful and sorry if i sounded like that.i just dont understand why when someone uses that(i m speaking about 8ball,i dont know whats goin on on 9ball)the other player most of the times swears and underestimate the other.
Snooker is a completely different game, so it's a bad comparison to make.

In real life 8 ball at a low level, tight games and snookers are often frowned upon (comments like "this isn't snooker" can sometimes be heard). Some people feel that way here, especially when it goes against them. You have the right to play your own game, so just ignore any comments they make. If they really offend you, take a screen shot and send it to the moderators.
I think snookering in 8 and 9ball is a great tatical and can win you games on lots of occasions but I just don't agree on doing it on the break.
You're making your opponant have to play a shot which they don't deserve.
I also think snookering when you can easily continue a run of potting balls is silly too. It's frustrating for you're opponant and not even a great tactic.

Anyway I'm talking rubbish.:p

Ciao.:)
Correction:(

"I think snookering in 8 and 9ball is a great 
tactic
"
Being the purveyor of "sneaky old man pool" that I am, I appreciate a player who plays a thinking game. There are a number of aspects to strategy, just one of which is snookering your opponent. Playing hide and seek with the cue ball is smart if the layout of the table doesn't favor running the table... it's much wiser to let your opponent make a mistake. I have to admit, it's amusing when people get angry when they become victims of a strategically adept player.

Now on the other hand... the ticky tack sissy break employed by some to avoid spreading out the balls, beyond being an unsportsmanlike attempt to take advantage of a flaw in FlyOrDie rules, is NOT smart strategy. I can't think of a single time that I have lost to anyone silly enough to try it. You see, it's easy to outlast most of those players... just be patient and let them bust em up.

Two rule changes that FlyOrDie should make. 1) Require four balls to be driven to a rail on the break 2) Require the cue ball or another ball to be driven to a rail AFTER the target ball is struck. (this prevents the little snooker type shot to come off the rail and hide the cue ball behind a ball. This shot is ILLEGAL in real pool)

While they are at it, design a "call pocket" feature into the game at least for the 8 ball. That would quickly separate the skilled from the merely fortunate players.

FlyOrDie has done a great job over three years in making the game more realistic both in the rules and design of the game. Keep it up and make a few more changes.

PS. Anyone remember the days when you had to make the cue ball in the pocket opposite the one in which your last ball was pocketed? That was crazy huh?
Firstly, i do not agree that "strategic methods" are needed in a simple game of Pool, although i would agree if this was the case in Snooker. Snooker is a more sophisticated game compared to Pool, this requires good thinking and skill where as playing a game of Pool where for example, you have a rating of 500 and you play a begginner, would only have half chance of winning because you could pot eight ball anytime (refers back to luck).

This has nothing to do with the topic, i just realized lol but adding those rules to Pool would change dramatically, i think this would put off some of the regular 8 ball players because imagine if you have two balls left both on the rail with no chance of potting, the opponent is on 8ball, wouldn't your first instinct be to "hide" the ball?

Leave 8ball as it is, if anybody likes to hide balls and play strategically, then i suggest playing snooker as it requires a good mind aswell as good potting abilities :p
I totally agree with what Nemesis put and if I wasn't the lazy person I am I would of have written just that (although I would of mucked it up along the way:p).

But i don't understand... its only the very small majority of idiotic people who decide to play those cheap shots to not break the pack up! i'd say 1 in 7 people would do that.

Anyone sad enough to do a survey.. Please prove this :p
Airfusion...  So 8 Ball is so simple that strategy isn't needed eh? Interesting idea.. you must be incredibly skilled. I for one, don't make all my shots, sometimes fail to get the set up on the next shot I wanted and am not nearly skillful enough to be able to magically 
create a series of makable shots when none exist. 

Sooooo... being the mortal being I am, I must resort to the lowly practice of playing defensively.

I kind of like the old saying, "Old age and treachery will usually win out over youth and talent" ;-)
It's a little like snooker; people don't want to break the pack because it may give their opponant a good opportunity, by playing safe they have a better chance that their opponant will make a mistake and they can capitalise.
Not really, because that just proves how good you really are. It has nothing to do with the fact of being strategic, yeh obviously you'll need to think ahead for next shot, but it aint half the thinking you need to do when playing snooker.

And i have seven balled people several times, 8ball doesnt prove anything, not to me anyway, if you want to play a real game, play snooker ;)lol
I agree snooker is the best:p

But you must admit if you throw caution to the wind and manage to seven ball someone you're bound to have a little luck on the way even if it is the smallest detail... e.g. getting lucky on position.

On the times I have seven balled people I've had luck and I'm sure everyone else has if they really think on it...

Sure I bet some people have seven balled others and played it brilliantly but thats the rare occasion. <- hmmm 1 s or 2? :p occassion/occasion.
probably spelt it wrong altogether:p
Occasion*

Not exactly, sure everyone gets luck in a game, its almost inevitable, but the raw fact is that you need more strategic skills in Snooker than you do in 8ball.  Im not saying that you dont need any skills in 8ball, im just saying that anyone can win 8ball, its more of a "luck" game then skill
Occasion* <- thanks:p

Yup can't really argue with that.
i TOTALLY agree with the 2 rules that nemesis proposed and i dont understand y fod hasnt introduced them to the game yet
maybe they see it as they see the US government?
when you want to pass a bill (on FlyOrDie a new idea) you must have a certain amount of signatures and send it through the branches
from there they alter it to how it would be better (they think) and goes through more branches and eventually (might) reaches the president :p

maybe? good hypothesis :)
Its a lottery breaking the pack up on this game(as good as it is)make a mess of the break and uve allmost certainly lost the game(if you are up against a good apponent)so it pays to play safe.In real pool as the people that play it know..give em a good smack and more often than not,ull get one in..Nemises,ive been playing this game since it started as u probably know..and i think it would be a good idea to nominate a black ball pocket..it would give an edge to the game
Nemesis, you're the kind of player I like playing in real life. I think it's the same attitude as I have in league games - if your opponent can't clear up, you can't lose.