« Back to All Topics
A supposed virus
Posted in 
Off-topic
A supposed virus
Posted in 
Off-topic
A supposed virus
Iv just heard that by feb 03/06 everyone using windows will/could be affected with a new virus. My information may just be BS but i dont know i was told by someone who was told by someone who was told by someone else etc.

The person who told me has unplugged all his pc equipment and allsorts of other daft stuff,i on the other hand have not. so i just want to know if anyone else has heard anything like this?  

p.s Im in the UK so i dont know if this supposed virus is worldwide or what.   its all just hear say.
i know windows XP is a virus in it self sothe first time you log onto the internet you need a virus scanner.but as for the other virus i have no idea.if you have a pop up block,anti spyware/trojen,firewall and updated virus scanner you shouldnt have a problem.
A supposed virus

The main purpose of most viruses is to waste people's time. In itself a hoax is a virus because it achieves this - especially if you listen to it. If Feb 03 was a problem day, the first you would know about it would be after reports of many people getting hit. The fact that you have a pre-warning tells you it's most likely a hoax. If you don't believe me go to technet.microsoft.com or www.nai.com - if there is a threat you can be sure that these two will be reporting it on their homepages, come back and let me know if they are.

Wtg whitey, try to stir up some paranoia.

XP is not a virus in itself, but as an OS contains security holes. These are fixed by service packs and patches. When you connect to the net there are people scanning IPs for security holes, so you are therefore vulnerable before you are fully patched. The safest way to build a system is to apply all SPs, patches and antivirus from CD BEFORE you connect to the net. Failing that possibility the first thing to do is run Windows Update and patch the system, Anti virus comes second. Spyware is less important, you can add protection and sweep the system at any time.

ANOTHER UPDATE

Okay, I discovered that there is 
some
 truth in this. Although misleading in forecasts of doom, there is a time activated virus with the potential to damage files on your PC. It's considered low risk, read info at the following if you want technical info:

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_138027.htm

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blackmal.e@mm.html

Summary in basic terms for those who want to panic

If you don't have UP-TO-DATE antivirus installed, AND have ever opened a specific dubious email attachment, then on the 3rd of every month certain files on your computer may be at risk. Basically if you are at the bottom of the food chain, unlucky.

Additional for normal people

Just another virus folks, like the many others discovered each week. If you have AV make sure it's up to date, and don't open suspicious emails. Sorry for wasting your time.
Well no virus has affected me but i have a good security centre anti virus/spy etc,,, and cheers Beppe i only heard this by chance but didnt know it was an ongoing thing but ill tell my mate and he can unplug all his equipment every month (lol what laugh ill have)  while the rest of us carry on as normal.

I know ur all thinking what a cruel person i am for doing this but he would do the same to me ,,,lol,,,

oh and BTW  i only done the first  post to see if anyone else had heard about this not to say a virus was on its way. 
>I know ur all thinking what a cruel person i am for doing this 

Not at all, got to av a larf :p
what are you doing bringing up old posts with silly picture X-( ?????????
He finally learned how to post pictures.
so we are going to have to put up with more of this

:(:(:(