« Back to All Topics
Guitar Songs
Posted in 
Off-topic
Guitar Songs
Posted in 
Off-topic
Guitar Songs
Well I play guitar in my spare time for fun (And have even performed in front of a large audience :O), but lately I'm running out of new songs to learn/play so thought I'd give it a shot and ask on here :p

For those who can play guitar, what are your acoustic favourites to play (Chord or finger picking), I have a broad range of music styles that I like for an 18 year old ranging from The Killers to Bob Dylan, so don't be afraid to suggest something obscure ;)  N.B. Don't suggest Oasis-Wonderwall or Led Zepplin - Stairway To heaven, these always get suggested to me but I'm bored of playing them :D

For those who don't play guitar, if you walked into a room with someone who could play guitar what would you ask them to play (Again same criteria Wonderwall and Stairway To Heaven are nono's)

And lastly does anyone else play the Jeff Buckley version of Hallelujah (Original by the great depressing songwriter Leonard Cohen) I've got most of the song perfect except his fiddly solo bit in the middle of the song, any tips?

Oh and if anyone has uploaded vids of their guitar playing on youtube send the link I'll be glad to look at them, I've got some youtube vids myself but they are rather embarassing, I'm not a stunning vocalist ....

Yeah pretty specific questions and topic so may not get many replies but thanks for reading anyway :)

Chris aka. Guitar Man
"Wish you were here" by Pink Floyd or "Traffic" by stereophonics:D
I've been playing around 10 years, it would prob be longer but I stopped playing for a while. Most of the time has gone into playing shred!!! Probably cos I found that most impressive as a kid and it stuck. 

If you wanna hear some impressive guitar stuff, I dunno if you heard of John Mayer?
wat about eric clapton johny cash sum bon jovi guns n roses santana 2 name a few
Nirvana - Smells like teen spirit. ;)
Passed my 4th year practical music exam by playing Somewhere Only We Know by Keane - sounds like it's too simple for you though, only 4 chords make up the whole song! :)

Erm, try some Metallica. :p
Thanks for the suggestions so far B-)

Eric Clapton is a big influence of mine so I've been playing a lot of his songs lately,

And as for Smells Like Teen Spirit, it's a suprisingly easy song to play...

Keep them coming :p
I didn't say it's hard to play but it sounds good. ;)
>Tommy Emmanuel ( 
http://www.tommyemmanuel.com/)

Great choice Macca B-) Have you seen his performance of Classical Gas, truly amazing.

Currently I'm in a Bob Dylan phase, learning a lot of his songs, and for Christmas I'm getting a harmonica so I'll be able to play both Harmonica and guitar when I do his stuff. :D
never new u all played guitar cool:D

what about ac/dc loads a songs from them. saliva have a fair few and the guitaring in that is awesome. 

woulda said led zepplin but ya said thats a no-no :p

good topic Chris ;)
I don't mind the simple stuff either Martin, played a lot of Keane myself, anything with a nice tune will do me :)
well as chris asked for acoustic songs ill give him a list of my favourite to play wen im dingling on the ol geeetar!..

i play alot of libertines, cos they transfer easily to acoustic - time for heroes is good fun

bob dylan - girl from the north county
the coral - liezah
jeff buckley - hallelujah (im the same as u can do all the intro and verse stuff but it does get tricky)

for a laugh! try jerry C - cannon rock on the acoustic

muse - unintended
theres a couple of good milburn songs aswell for acoustic
try brewster its good fun

Bob Marley - redemption song
Xtreme - more than words (not one of my favs but ppl say it sounds good lol)

AND OBVIOUSLY 

Green day - good riddance (time of your life)
Buckley - last goodbye
blink 182 - stay together for the kids
white stripes - just play all of their stuff lol
The Kinks - waterloo sunset
placebo - you dont care about us (i dont play this often cos u have to fiddle around with tuning and i cba with that lol
there some of my favs that i play on acoustic!

What a great selection Fret :D

Heh, yeah Jerry C canon rock, not the easiest song to learn :p.... It is however easy to play the original clasical piece which sounds alright if you're into some classical stuff - D,A,Bm,F#m,G,A,G,D Chords, just pick down the chords (If my memory serves me right)

And great choice with redemption song, everyone I know has never heard the song before (Except my dad) but it's a fab one to play on guitar, intros pretty funky too.

But unfortunately Greenday - good riddance (time of your life) is gradually turning into one of those songs that gets requested so often it's becoming boring :(

yea lol, but its so easy to play!, do you even make the "mistake" at the start of the song like he does on the album version lol....
Show us some of your videos Chris :D!
>do you even make the "mistake" at the start of the song like he does on the album version lol....

Yup..., the problem I had was I learnt it with the mistake before I knew it was a mistake :p

>>Show us some of your videos Chris

Thanks for starting the embarrassment Martin :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBpePj2Xkd4

The Pogues - Fairytale Of New York

If you reeaaally want to look at my other videos click on my youtube username you can see them there, some are okay... some are EXTREMELY bad..
Very good Chris! You certainly have talent mate.
Get yourself on xfactor next year :D
:o:o MASTER CHRIS PLAY GUITAR :o:o
 lovely music :d nice job chris....
How about "I hate everything about you' by Three Days' Grace? I love the tune, not necessarily the song.

And Blue October's 'Into the Ocean' would be nice.

how about dragonforce - through the fire and the flames :p? hahaha lol :D:D:D:D
Hows about 'My old man's a dustman'???

lol :p
Your guitar is out of tune Chris :p
how about dragonforce

ouch

try some pantera :)
While my guitar gently weeps. The Beatles.
>Your guitar is out of tune Chris 

It's ALWAYS out of tune :p I think my guitar has bad 'intonation' (A phenomenon when it comes to tuning a guitar)

My guitar is pretty cheap so the strings tend to de-tune very easily... Also my "G string" (Oh the humour :p) and B string are pretty naff. The B string tends to tune well when I'm not playing a chord but as soon as I press down on it (For example a G chord) it goes horribly out of tune.

I might try replacing the strings soon, the strings on my guitar currently are the ones that the guitar maker had on (Cost cutting cheap strings maybe?). 

That's the reason why in some of my videos I'm using my brothers acoustic guitar, it's a lot better :D
You probably already know this but if the strings are new they take some 'getting used to' being stretched. It will help to get the guitar into tune, then stretch them more by pulling up on the string, then retuning etc etc. 
Yep I sure do Scott, problem is the strings aren't new :p (Over a year and a half old I think) My strings have been stretched to their death, everything from standard tuning to half step/full step down tuning.

If I ever come into some money I'm going to invest in a more expensive acoustic guitar (Mine's an electro-acoustic) or the same model guitar as my brothers, I think his was roughly £150. Of course it could be a while before I get such a thing... have to make it out the "university student phase" first.. ;)
I have loads of money at uni:p/*
Does anyone here play electric guitar? I'm thinking about getting one, I don't have much experience playing but I'm keen to learn as my mates are in a local heavy metal band and I think it would be pretty cool if I could actually play some stuff :D! I used to have an acoustic but got rid of it as I never played it. How much money should I spend for a decent first electric? :)
My brother has an electric guitar Martin and I fiddle around with it from time to time, I'm not really any good though :p, can play some basic riffs e.g. the electric guitar on Eric Clapton's "Wonderful Tonight".

>How much money should I spend for a decent first electric? 

Well I always think that when buying a guitar electric or acoustic, spend as much as you can afford. From my experience you do get your moneys worth :p I think my brother payed about 100-150 (From Ebay) but he got an amp included :)

>I have loads of money at uni

I'll take the donation in cash then Scott ;)
First electric alot of people buy is a Squire Strat, decent first guitar and comes with a fender amp if you buy the pack. 
try this one Chris :
Green Day - Working Class Hero
Or maybe try Working Class Hero by JOHN LENNON. The genius who wrote the song, not green day ;)
No mention of Stevie Ray Vaughan?