« Back to All Topics
Need my WEP Key
Posted in 
Off-topic
Need my WEP Key
Posted in 
Off-topic
Need my WEP Key
Hey would anyone be able to tell me how I can find out what my WEP Key is? My router is 
Linksys Wireless Broadband Speed Booster - Model WRT54GS

Thanks
i had 2 call me sp 4 mine
Okay, I remember myself and my dad had this problem a few years back, unfortunately I can't remember exactly what we did but the first thing to try is looking on any stickers on your router - I read that some people's WEP key is listed on a sticker (I don't think this is the case for mine but you may as well give it a try anyway ;))

The other way that you could try is logging into your router. Go here:

http://192.168.1.1/

That 
should
 bring up a login box for your router, if I remember correctly the default username should be left blank and the password is admin. If you've changed the login details previously then you'll know what to put in. As far as I'm aware if you login to your router you will be able to change your WEP key (I'm not sure if you can actually find out your current one).

If it's the case that the above address does not bring up a login box and brings up something like 'page cannot be displayed' post a reply and I'll tell you how to find out which address you need.

The last option is to do a full reset of your router. I've never owned a linksys router but I assume there will be some sort of reset button on it that reverts the router back to the original settings it had when you bought it. I have no idea exactly what it resets so it may be the case that you would have to re-install the whole network again so do this as a last option and on your head be it... so to speak :p

Hopefully I've given you the right info, wireless networks aren't my strong point but trying the first and the second ways shouldn't give you any problems at all even if they don't work.

:)

Chris
Thanks for long explanation Chris. I tried admin as password but it didnt seem to work. I guess ill phone the linksys dudes and ask them for advice. :)
Well it's a longshot but you could try a few variations in terms of logging in.

Normally the default password would be something like 

Username: (Blank)
Password: Admin

If like you said that didn't work then try putting the username as admin and leaving the password blank, or even putting both the username and password as admin (Or maybe even leaving them both blank)

If they don't work and you tried looking for a sticker and you don't feel like resetting your wireless (I wouldn't blame you, it's 
just a little bit
 annoying setting up a wireless) then calling up the linksys hotline will probably be your best bet as that's where my knowledge ends :D

And if it's okay, if they do tell you what to do, would you be able to post what they say here? I wouldn't mind knowing what else to do just in case I come across the same sort of problem in the future :p

Don't post if it's a long process though, I'm sure you have better things to do :)
username = admin
password = password
and u should use WPA anyway, if possible
can also be:

username: admin
password: admin
true, in fact for Linksys i think it is that, i think some linksys forum once said that.  I have Netgear so mine's different.  Motorola's is admin and password= motorola. 

If admin + admin doesn't work, try admin + linksys.  If all fail, see if the linksys forum still exists.

of course, you've probably already called them and got it all fixed lol.
if you cannot login to the router itself, then you need to reset it manually back to its factory settings.

On the back of the router is a small reset button. Press and hold that button in for 30 seconds, and your router will reset.