Posted in 
Off-topic
I'm surprised that....
Posted in 
Off-topic
I'm surprised that....
This forum hasn't been flooded with 

"omg the world is gonna end today!! :@ :@ ;@"

This is of course to do with the Large Hadron Collider in Geneva, 90% of the people I know are brainwashed with the crackpot theory that the world will end (Half of them don't realise that they aren't even colliding particles today, just testing a beam can go around the LHC ;)).

Anyone else have any views on it?
i heard of it and though nothing of it, yet today everyone was going on about it for some reason:|

could someone explain to me what the fuss was about ? :)
Well, its a well known fact that the world is going to end in 2012, however we didnt know how it was going to happen, now we do... thanks Cern! lol jokes... i can't wait to find out what results this experiment will show! i dont think anyone will have been able to predcit whats going to happen though :D

saying that, i read an argument, which seemed pretty foolproof about this experiment creating mini black holes, obviously being the densest things on this planet, they will sink to the center of the Earth, undetected, and grow at an ever increasing rate, until it swallows the earth... ermm yeah! lol.. the article was somewhat biased and one sided :D

i do however think, if there is even the SLIGHTEST risk of this happening, maybe the experiment shouldnt take place, atleast without a worldwide vote! as it will effect us all ;)

AND the fact that the effects of the experiment, if certain scientists are to be believed, will not become apparent until its too late :) but there again, Stephen hawking says it will be fine, and thats gospel to me LOL

I wonder what it will feel like to be sucked into a black hole, probably just come out the other side, exactly like we were, but upside down, inside out. 
I heard that it would take about three weeks or somthing like that to happen as it is not that quick a process.it is brainwashing though:)
According to a comprehensive report on the project, nature's own cosmic rays produce particle collisions substantially more powerful than the ones to be generated by LHC. We wouldn't exist if they were strong enough to create universe.

Merv
>saying that, i read an argument, which seemed pretty foolproof about this experiment creating mini black holes, obviously being the densest things on this planet, they will sink to the center of the Earth, undetected, and grow at an ever increasing rate, until it swallows the earth... ermm yeah! lol.. the article was somewhat biased and one sided

i've read a lot about this over the last 2 months or so... on a certain space/technology website, which i won't mention, in case it's considered advertising.  i've heard arguements biased from each side, and read comments from readers on both sides as well.

it seems there is a possibility that mini black holes will be created, which could swallow matter, grow, and eventually swallow the earth.  i have heard nothing about them sinking to the middle of the earth, though i guess it's possible.  however, the calculations have shown that:
1) the mini black holes, if they are created, will be unstable, and 'disolve' before they have time to pull anything in, and
2) they are so small, that compared to the empty space in atoms, let alone between them, that the chances of them pulling in one atom, let alone a second, before they disolve, are astronomically small.

anyway, there were numerous legal actions taken, to try and stop the thing from starting up.  and they apparently have done no good.  guess the math showing they won't destroy the earth is more substantial than the math showing they could destroy something.

--jason
>According to a comprehensive report on the project, nature's own cosmic rays produce particle collisions substantially more powerful than the ones to be generated by LHC. We wouldn't exist if they were strong enough to create universe.

That's exactly right Merv ;)

The cosmic waves that have hit is for millions of years would have destroyed us already if collisions such as the ones in the LHC could create things such as strangelets/micro black holes/vacuum bubbles.

All scientists are doing is taking a natural process and recreating it in a lab environment so they can look at what is created (Which in this case is hopefully the Higg's particle which would in turn allow them to 
finally
 complete the standard model). 

People seem to think that this machine will create black holes capable of destroying the Earth. Now I'm no Phd qualified physicist :p but from what I've read in my years of being interested in the subject (Yes you can call me a space geek) is that micro black holes dissapear in billionths of a second - through Hawking Radiation decay. Even if it was assumed that a black hole could remain stable and begin devouring parts of the earth, the rate that such a black hole would damage the Earth wouldn't be noticeable for billions of years (At which time we'll all be dead anyway because the Sun will have exploded :p) Scientists can predict this because of the average age of neutron stars, if stable black holes could be formed then the rate of destruction would be noticeable in neutron stars (Because of their immence density), so far, neutron stars have been discovered to be millions of years old.

>if there is even the SLIGHTEST risk of this happening, maybe the experiment shouldnt take place

The Scientists can't say that there's x probablity of black holes (Or other things) occuring because they aren't expecting to create them at all. If they aren't expecting black holes to be formed then there's no risk. If they said "yes there is a chance a black hole could form" THEN we should start worrying and contemplate whether the experiments should take place :)

>I wonder what it will feel like to be sucked into a black hole

Well Fret if you let me attach each of your limbs to 500 or so horses, let them go, and then get back to us with the results, we can get the 
tiniest
 idea of what it would feel like :D

yeah theres a 99.9% chance that these black holes won't be created... reassuring, and the instability of a created black hole is based on Hawkings assumptions...

People have been known to make mistakes before :D

however, i dont believe this experiment will result in the end of the earth! hopefully it will just destroy France :) lol joke
Why were they gonna create them in the first place? Im space stupid! lol Dont laugh!
>saying that, i read an argument, which seemed pretty foolproof about this experiment creating mini black holes, obviously being the densest things on this planet, they will sink to the center of the Earth<

Denser than you James :)?

In all seriousness though, when they say that they've done extensive safety tests on this project and that they've shown no great threat, it's complete rubbish.

Surely such deduction is based on evidence of known phenomena and state-of-the-art modelling, whereas I understand the whole purpose of the scientific work is to go beyond what is known to either prove theory or discover new phenomena to advance our knowledge. Simply put: if they are so sure as to the certainty of the outcome as to pose absolutely no risk why do we need to carry out the experiments at all? 

The Meister B-)
Well every single person that i know think it's a load of bull.

I have met no one who believes the world is ending.